Castle Base and Followers

Panpiper

I'm whipping up a small castle/tower, built as a base, and just want to be sure I am remembering things right. In the latest rule book I see nothing that would permit me to do what I am doing here with followers, but I am quite certain I learned this from Hero at some point way back. I bought followers to guard the castle. The primary defense of this castle is actually a few magical gargoyles. But I also want some more normal characters, a few human guards, servants, etc.. I seem to recall that we were allowed to reduce the value of one or more of the full point followers, doubling the numbers of the ones reduced for every 25 AP reduction of the follower. My castle looks right now like:

30pts +10pd/ed

20pts +20 body

20pts Size

10pts Labs, etc.

70pts Followers 20pts (for 8 followers) x 50pts (250 point characters)

7 x 250pt Gargoyles

Take 1 Gargoyle and split it into 2 x 225 point followers.

1 x 225pt Old Wizard

1 becomes an old wizard and the other gets split into 8 x 150 point followers.

7 x 150pt 4 x Gate Guards, Seneshal, Butler & Blacksmith

7 are used as such and the other 1 gets split again into:

16 x 50pt Servants & Staff

Am I remembering this right? 150 point 'base' costing a character 30 points.

Re: Castle Base and Followers

I seem to recall that we were allowed to reduce the value of one or more of the full point followers' date=' doubling the numbers of the ones reduced for every 25 AP reduction of the follower.[/quote']

I remember something very similar from Champions III. I expect that The Ultimate Base (available Real Soon Now) will update them.

I'm pretty sure 4E allowed you to purchase base personnel as followers nested in the base in the manner you have done here. I never actually used the base rules in 5E/5ER as I'd switched to heroic games and didn't require points for equipment, vehicles, or bases. I did a combination of money and status related perks instead.

That's true' date=' unless this base is on a PC's character sheet or you want them to be able to buy something like this, it doesn't really need to be perfectly statted up like that. You can just say "the castle is staffed" and POOF it is staffed! ^_^[/quote']

And don't forget to hand the player a note explaining how much upkeep his character has to pony up every month out to keep it!

And don't forget to hand the player a note explaining how much upkeep his character has to pony up every month out to keep it!

I figured a 15 point Wealth aught to cover it. What do you think, DNPC or Contact? (Or both?)

The Prince

18 Str 8

11 Dex 3

13 Con 6

10 Body

10 Int

8 Ego -4

13 Pre 3

Com NA

4 Pd

3 Ed

3 Spd 9

7 Rec

26 End

26 Stun

45 8x150pt Followers Bought as 150pt Captain, 150pt Warhorse, 12X125pt Soldiers,

(Captain and Soldiers ride regular warhorses, not 'follower' horses.)

30 Castle Base (Castle has it's own followers, but do not go out on 'patrol' with the Prince.)

15 Wealth

5 Perk: High Nobility

3 High Society

3 Bureaucratics

3 Familiarity with Common Melee Weapons & Lance

3 Familiarity with Heavy Armor & Shield (Full Plate & Shield)

2 +5 Strength only for weapon & armor Str minimums, does not add to damage (-1/2), no figured stats (-1/2).

4 +2 Penalty levels with Armor

6 Passive Blocking: +3 DCV Conditional Power (Vs. Melee Combat Only; -1), OIF (Melee Weapon of Opportunity; -½)

6 +3 OCV with Bastard Sword

3 Riding

Total: 153

I figured a 15 point Wealth aught to cover it. What do you think, DNPC or Contact? (Or both?)

The Prince

18 Str 8

11 Dex 3

13 Con 6

10 Body

10 Int

8 Ego -4

13 Pre 3

Com NA

4 Pd

2 Ed

3 Spd 9

6 Rec

20 End

24 Stun

45 8x150pt Followers Bought as 150pt Captain, 150pt Warhorse, 12X125pt Soldiers,

30 Castle Base (Castle has it's own followers, but do not go out on 'patrol' with the Prince.)

15 Wealth

3 High Society

3 Bureaucratics

2 +5 Strength only for weapon & armor Str minimums, does not add to damage (-1/2), no figured stats (-1/2).

6 Passive Blocking: +3 DCV Conditional Power (Vs. Melee Combat Only; -1), OIF (Melee Weapon of Opportunity; -½)

3 Riding

It looks good. I'd slap a perk: crenelation license on there as well. Maybe 5 Points.

I'd make him an expensive contact/patron. Make the player purchase all the bells and whistles: useful skills, useful resources, contacts of his own, good relationship, etc.

I like where this guy is going.

the wealth perk is to much, 15 points is a small country or a bilionaire.

6 points for the income from a small barony (one castlea)

1 point needed for access (family secret or the drains leadto the stables)

Passiving blocking is done with 2 point levels +3 to dcv in melee same but correct (if there is a way to do it you use it-rule)

PS:Baron

A good stragey is buy regeneration on your followers in case they die (recuirt, train = time limation ect )

just some thoughts

Lord Ghee

The way I see the "Wealth" perk working is more "buying power". You can have a big castle and still have normal wealth level (game-wise).

You can explain it by having the character be in a "I got all this stuff, but I am barely staying afloat and only can pry a few gp to spend a week!" type of situation.

The way I see the "Wealth" perk working is more "buying power". You can have a big castle and still have normal wealth level (game-wise).

You can explain it by having the character be in a "I got all this stuff, but I am barely staying afloat and only can pry a few gp to spend a week!" type of situation.

That's a reasonable effects based explanation.

The Prince

18 Str 8

11 Dex 3

13 Con 6

10 Body

10 Int

8 Ego -4

13 Pre 3

Com NA

4 Pd

2 Ed

3 Spd 9

6 Rec

20 End

24 Stun

15 Wealth

3 High Society

3 Bureaucratics

3 Riding

Hé hé, is it that baron we'll have to meet with the mace on next game? Cause if he has power over gargoyles, I'll have good arguments not to go and meet him!;)

Hé hé' date=' is it that baron we'll have to meet with the mace on next game? Cause if he has power over gargoyles, I'll have good arguments not to go and meet him!;)[/quote']

I like this concept, but is the prince's build legal?

He appears to have "sold back" points in 4 figured characteristics.

Hé hé' date=' is it that baron we'll have to meet with the mace on next game? Cause if he has power over gargoyles, I'll have good arguments not to go and meet him!;)[/quote']

Heh. I guess you'll know, if you see gargoyles. ;)

I like this concept' date=' but is the prince's build legal? He appears to have "sold back" points in 4 figured characteristics.[/quote']

Eh? The only characteristic he sold back is a bit of Ego, connotating a spoiled upbringing.

I like this concept, but is the prince's build legal?

He appears to have "sold back" points in 4 figured characteristics.

I think you're looking at a 6th edition character and making 5th edition assumptions.

If this is a 6th ed character, there are no "figured characteristics."

If it's a 5th ed character, though, then you'd be right.

Lucius Alexander

1st edition palindromedary