Selective AoE is an advantage?

Fedifensor

So, I was reading through the 6E book, and came across nonselective and selective AoE.

Nonselective reduces the advantage value by 1/4, and forces you to make additional attack rolls versus each target in addition to the roll to hit the area.

Selective raises the advantage value by 1/4, and forces you to make additional attack rolls versus each target in addition to the roll to hit the area, with the ability to exclude people from the effect. In other words, Selective comes with the inherent limitation "must make second attack roll versus target's DCV".

Reverse-engineering the values means that the value of attacking a person at DCV 3 is +1/4 (the difference between nonselective and normal AoE). It also means that the ability to exclude allies from an AoE attack is +1/2 (the difference between nonselective and selective modifiers for AoE).

Now, I don't have the Advanced Player's Guide, so this question may be addressed there. Is there a way to make an AoE that hits only the targets you want to hit, but still goes against DCV 3?

Re: Selective AoE is an advantage?

... Is there a way to make an AoE that hits only the targets you want to hit' date=' but still goes against DCV 3?[/quote']

I don't have 6th edition yet but there already is a way to do this in 5e®.

Just build the ability with 2 separate AOE Advantages.

One to define the overall Area Of Effect plus the Selective Advantage.

Another with AOE 1 Hex Accurate (only to determine the DCV of individual targets of the "Selective" portion).

I do have the current version of Hero Designer...

and it indicates that both Selective and Accurate can be applied to the same AOE Advantage and it appears to come out a little cheaper (1/4 less) than the above method for an otherwise equivalent ability.

While I do not have the APG (champing at the bit for it though), allow me to explain.

AoE normally hits every single person in its designated area for the same damage.

Selective allows you to bypass designated targets such as your allies, DNPC's, or important NPC's. You only damage what you want to.

Nonselective, on the other hand, removes that option, but makes you roll to attack anyway. You face a very real chance of hittting one or more of your allies, DNPC's, etc and missing one or all of your intended targets.

And not to split hairs here, but does Selective have a composite value of +1/2 or does Nonselective have a value of -1/2?

Selective raises the advantage value by 1/4, and forces you to make additional attack rolls versus each target in addition to the roll to hit the area, with the ability to exclude people from the effect. In other words, Selective comes with the inherent limitation "must make second attack roll versus target's DCV".

Reverse-engineering the values means that the value of attacking a person at DCV 3 is +1/4 (the difference between nonselective and normal AoE). It also means that the ability to exclude allies from an AoE attack is +1/2 (the difference between nonselective and selective modifiers for AoE).

Now, I don't have the Advanced Player's Guide, so this question may be addressed there. Is there a way to make an AoE that hits only the targets you want to hit, but still goes against DCV 3?

I've allowed it in my games for years (going back to 4th ed) by reverse-engineering it as you mention. So it's a total of +1.5 (+1 for the Area, +.5 to only hit who you want).

I've allowed it in my games for years (going back to 4th ed) by reverse-engineering it as you mention. So it's a total of +1.5 (+1 for the Area' date=' +.5 to only hit who you want).[/quote']

You get a similar result with Selective AoE (+1.25), 1 hex area accurate (+0.5), at a slightly higher cost, and a DCV of 3 for anyone targeted.

Early 5th I did something similar, but rather than reverse engineering (just didn't occur to me), I did

10pts. +5 OCV with AoE Selective Energy Blast.

It doesn't precisely get you a selective energy blast against DCV 3 over an area, but on the plus side it also doesn't increase the Active Point value of the attack and in most cases it does the trick. Depending on the cost of the attack it could even be cheaper to use skill levels in this way.