If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

RexMundi

Re: If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

I'd go with Mass Effect before HALO myself. Almost done wrapping up the first Mass Effect myself so it's story is fairly new to me but I have to admit I have a fondness for the Krogan. Just the basic set up for Mass Effect practically screams HERO system anyway. Have to admit to being a fan and I wanted to Dislike the game from the beginning.

~Rex

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer that first pops into my head is something from the Stargate universe (the double meaning was accidental; life on Destiny isn't free enough to make a fun campaign). By now the Earth (sorry' date=' Tau'ri) technology base has reached the point where a lot of different campaign styles are possible, and the rogues gallery has a lot of varied opponents both human and otherwise. There are a lot of close seconds, but Stargate wins out by a few millimeters.[/quote']

I didn't think of Stargate until you mentioned it.

My choices would probably be Stargate, Space 1889, Star Wars, Babylon 5, or Star Trek.

Stargate because the possibilities are so endless (and I'd like to play a character inspired by O'Neil.

Space 1889 because it's Steampunk. In space!! Besides I cut my Sci-fi teeth on ERB's Mars and Venus series'.

Star Wars because I already did a bunch of legwork on the setting and haven't forgotten it all (yet!)

Babylon 5 just because it was the first truly successful sci-fi TV series outside of Star Trek.

Star Trek because it was the first science fiction continuing series that didn't have giant carrots or potential child molester sidekicks for the Kid Smarter Than Everyone Else (I'm lookin' at you, Doctor Smith!). It was also the first space show where the spaceships weren't traditional flying saucers or rockets.

...And now that I've read the rest of the thread...

Kzinti are always appealing. :D

Yeah, They're always a-peeling humans!:celebrate

Hands down: Firefly.

Runner up: Enterprise.

I know that second one is strange, but the concept had huge potential and it would be easy to run an original crew of player characters in lieu of Archer and Co.

Of course, most gamers would want to keep hottie vulcan in spandex and Hoshi as NPCs, but otherwise....

I've always wanted to do a prequel to Star Trek using the Hero System. The Hottie Vulcan in Spandex™ was an unexpected bonus when Enterprise began.

Was never big on Blake's 7 for some reason. Just never got my attention and that's normally easy to get, hells, Quark got my Attention, I should have liked Blake's 7 but it never semed to hit it for me.

Old Trek Stuff though does. Lota room there for stuff. Especially if you hit up some of the old stuff covered in say, the SCE books or the Vanguard novels. Gives you something different without having to jump on TV show stuff.

Space 1889 was a lot of fun but requires a bunch of Victorian fans otherwise, insta-lost at the table.

Surprised no ones mentioned a Thunderbirds campaign, heh....or even the animated spin off for it Thunderbirds 2086....

Come to think of it, Galaxy Rangers has potential. Lota old cartoons out there would make good settings. :D

~Rex

I've always wanted to do a prequel to Star Trek using the Hero System. The Hottie Vulcan in Spandex™ was an unexpected bonus when Enterprise began.

And, at this point, you've got lots of graphics and full deck plans of the NX-01 to use.

I really thought they coulda done better for the NX-O1...I suppose I was spoiled a bit by all the great Trek Cover Art on the novels back in the day, and was hoping for more then a clunked up Akira Class conversion. STILL, loved the Interiors they put together, and it was cool seeing an Engine Room that looked like an Engine Room for once. Plus, Enterprise had, THE BEST Orion Slave Girls EVER.

~Rex

I really thought they coulda done better for the NX-O1...I suppose I was spoiled a bit by all the great Trek Cover Art on the novels back in the day, and was hoping for more then a clunked up Akira Class conversion. STILL, loved the Interiors they put together, and it was cool seeing an Engine Room that looked like an Engine Room for once. Plus, Enterprise had, THE BEST Orion Slave Girls EVER.

~Rex

Since I liked the Akira and wish it had gotten more screen time it didn't bother me so much. But, there's also the proposed Season 5 refit that was never used....

NX01+Refit+A.png

NX01+Refit+B.png

There's plenty of concept art and models of it online.

Out of idle curiosity (as well as potential fodder for an article I am writing for a few other folks), if you had to Choose, ONE, and only one published setting (any format, TV, Comics, Novels, Movies, Radio etc), to run Star Hero in, what would you pick?

Remember, you only get one. :thumbup:

~Rex

Star Trek.

I'm a fan of all of the series and most of the movies (including the most recent ;) );

have prior experience running successful FASATrek campaigns;

like the genre and am comfortable with running it;

have a buttload of reference material, including a very large collection of (laminated) blueprints for a bunch of different ST vessels.

EDIT: Very nice pic, Vondy. Didn't know about that.

Since I liked the Akira and wish it had gotten more screen time it didn't bother me so much. But, there's also the proposed Season 5 refit that was never used....

NX01+Refit+A.png

NX01+Refit+B.png

There's plenty of concept art and models of it online.

Nice one Vondy. I woulda been happy with this look. I wasn't nerd angry at the NX-01, I just thought that with all the different concepts out there, even from official trek people, that we coulda done something more like this.

Actually did enjoy the show over all. Cept for the wrap up, that kinda hit bottom for me (similar to the Battlestar Galactactica wrap up). Got a lot of good stuff out of the show before it went into repeat this from that mode......I especially liked the Mirror Universe episodes and of course, the Orion episodes, heh. Coulda done with Less Xindi and Less mangling of the Romulan encounters but over all, I would say I liked Enterprise far more then DS9, certainly more then Voyager (though the last two seasons of Voyager were rock solid)....

Still a huge fan of the Fasa RPG, and the Task Force Games Star Fleet Battles and Prime Directive games. HATED the Last Unicorn/Decipher stuff though I found them useful for Source material and the production value was entertaining.

If one were to stick with just Trek, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

~Rex.......