If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

RexMundi

Out of idle curiosity (as well as potential fodder for an article I am writing for a few other folks), if you had to Choose, ONE, and only one published setting (any format, TV, Comics, Novels, Movies, Radio etc), to run Star Hero in, what would you pick?

Remember, you only get one. :thumbup:

~Rex

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

The future history of Mike Resnick: in particular the Widowmaker and Santiago stories. No, I wasn't terribly impressed with the books, but when I was reading them, I kept thinking "Wow, this could make one hell of an RPG!"

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss

The future history of Mike Resnick: in particular the Widowmaker and Santiago stories. No' date=' I wasn't terribly impressed with the books, but when I was reading them, I kept thinking "Wow, this could make one hell of an RPG!"[/quote']

Don't forget Resnick's Birthright: The Book of Man. That one has almost as much scope as Asimov's FOUNDATION trilogy.

Don't forget Resnick's Birthright: The Book of Man. That one has almost as much scope as Asimov's FOUNDATION trilogy.

I've got that one, too. Much as I enjoyed Birthright, I'd have a hard time getting it all into a single RPG. So I went with Resnick's 'bounty hunter' stories; can't go wrong with a bounty hunter RPG! IIRC, Widowmaker and Santiago were part of that same time-line, although I'm not sure exactly which period they took place in. Ivory also had some interesting story ideas, some of which took place at roughly the same time. (And some before, and some long after....)

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss

The answer that first pops into my head is something from the Stargate universe (the double meaning was accidental; life on Destiny isn't free enough to make a fun campaign). By now the Earth (sorry, Tau'ri) technology base has reached the point where a lot of different campaign styles are possible, and the rogues gallery has a lot of varied opponents both human and otherwise. There are a lot of close seconds, but Stargate wins out by a few millimeters.

The original Star Trek had the starship Enterprise visiting a new and different strange world with each episode. Roddenberry's pilot show Genesis II had our heroes using a large subway system to explore strange new city-states in a post-apocalyptic world. Stargate has our heroes exploring strange new worlds using the stargate. See the common thread here?

All of these allow episodic adventures in fantastically different settings, only limited by the game master's imagination.

It seems like everyone is avoiding he Star Wars universe. It may be overexposed, but (taken in toto) its as rich as they come.

I personally like the universe of ALIEN LEGION!

DH16362lg.jpg

See my NEMESIS SQUADRON link below. :)

Alien Legion is one I bring up to the Mongoose Publishing folk every time they ask me what I would like to see for a next project. BY FAR, it was one of my favorite comics back in the day and I miss it very much. I went with Well World though, because it allows me to do ANYTHING really. :D Still, Alien Legion, would be a very close second for me especially from a visual presentation, and the series sense of scale and balance and military T.O.E. is on the same level as anything you would see from David Drake or John Ringo. So, I will give Alien Legion some props and consideration.

~Rex

I enjoy the act of world creation far too much to commit myself to any published setting' date=' even as a starting point from which I would diverge rapidly.[/quote']

Me too, that's why I love Alien Legion.

It my perspective that most of the published settings above are so broad that they need be considered only as extremely loose guides and have unlimited potential for unique creative additions.

I enjoy the act of world creation far too much to commit myself to any published setting' date=' even as a starting point from which I would diverge rapidly.[/quote']

Me, too. Which is why I never got around to running a Star Wars game.

Edit: Come to think of it, that's not entirely true. I did run a Star Trek game in high school, pre-Wrath of Khan. I never got the Doctor Who game together shortly thereafter. Of course one appeal of Doctor Who is that you can make up lots of essentially independent SF settings in one campaign.

Again, one of the reasons I chose Well World. You HAVE to build. Hell the Well World itself, has over 1,560 Unique Alien Environments (half carbon based, half not), and Tech ranging from None, Steam, Magic, Uber Science, etc etc etc .....Other then, 6 races, you need to make the rest, and even those 6 can change and or have changed.

Alien Legion (Got my fingers crossed for that new Series from Dark Horse 2010), is much the same way. You're not really, Playing in something someone else Made. ALL of us serious HERO folk, Love the build process. It's why we play HERO. All you are really doing, is using their Christmas Present wrapping, to provide some visual, Then, everything else is yours. Then you use the visual as bait, and POOF. Game on. Divergent point or not, Sci Fi, especially TRUE Sci Fi, has been around so long, that in the end (much like the comic books) What you THINK, is original, really isn't. It's all been done. However, you can always offer, a Unique APPROACH to that. That's where the building comes in.

So simple even Jugger Grimrod can do it.

~Rex :D

The original Star Trek had the starship Enterprise visiting a new and different strange world with each episode. Roddenberry's pilot show Genesis II had our heroes using a large subway system to explore strange new city-states in a post-apocalyptic world. Stargate has our heroes exploring strange new worlds using the stargate. See the common thread here?

All of these allow episodic adventures in fantastically different settings, only limited by the game master's imagination.

Technically, Doctor Who's current series of stuff matches that description. The older stuff normally dealt a new 'mini-setting' every 6 episodes or so.

I'd have to pick my own Kazei 5 setting, 'cause it has everything I want in it... (it should, it's based on most of my favorite anime-cyberpunk settings). If I had to pick someone else's setting... Firefly has a lot going for it, or for true over-the-top action, make the PCs a Special Circumstances Contact Team for the Culture.

Technically' date=' Doctor Who's current series of stuff matches that description. The older stuff normally dealt a new 'mini-setting' every 6 episodes or so.[/quote']

Well, yes. Pretty much all episodic TV SF follows that description.