If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

RexMundi

Re: If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

As a Star Hero player, I think I'd most like either Stargate (especially SG:U) or Farscape, depending on what sort of mood I'm after -- the former tended to be more down-to-earth (so to speak), while the latter had a lot of fun elements for stories on the wild side.

(Ho hum... someday someone will answer this with Realm Hunter. Probably not until at least the third or fourth book is out, though.)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Resnick's Santiago universe IS a very good choice but I might go with Larry Niven's Known Space universe instead. I frankly could be turned either way very easily.

Herculoids definately has its charm also.

The Santiago stuff is good.....always liked that especially the characters. Known Space I've done a few times, mostly for Con Events, and I've got a few notebooks of Alex Toth awesome I've used for a lot of pick up games as well. Lota potential in Toth's stuff.

~Rex

As a Star Hero player' date=' I think I'd most like either [i']Stargate[/i] (especially SG:U) or Farscape, depending on what sort of mood I'm after -- the former tended to be more down-to-earth (so to speak), while the latter had a lot of fun elements for stories on the wild side.

(Ho hum... someday someone will answer this with Realm Hunter. Probably not until at least the third or fourth book is out, though.)

Stargate is still one of my favorite movies and series. Even the last Stargate Universe at least had a few characters I liked even if the rest of the show should have been shot out of a cannon into a great white shark infested region of the ocean. Started a conversion of the official Stargate RPG to HERO not long back. Should finish it one of these days. Farscape is a lot of fun as well. I've got friends willing to play either or both but there are still a few speed bump players that have seen no episode of either and it would be a lot of work to bring them up to speed, provided I could peel them away from whatever newsfeed/youtube/or video game that currently has mesmerized them, heh.

~Rex

I'm trying to decide what you could do in Known Space that would make it all that appealing a setting for a campaign. What am I missing here?

Oh I've done, straight Ringworld, Various era's of the Man-Kzin Wars.....and a whole lot of ARM (Gil Hamilton rocks) and Crashlander kinds of things. Very rich setting that can handle everything from Military Sci Fi, to Covert Action, Epic exploration and even Free Trader and merchant stuff. Then again I've always liked Niven, especially when he teams up with other writers.

Always fun to play in a setting where a player race can be a Dolphin. Got a soft spot for the David Brin Startide Rising Material as well. :D But to get back to topic, Man-Kzin wars covers a rather large span of time, is good military sci fi, and the last few Kzin books have been a very fun read. Good times if you got a GM willing to do a touch of research because there's a LOT of Known Space. :D

~Rex

Tough choice, but I'd go with either Larry Niven's "Known Space" or Alan Dean Foster's "Humanx Commonwealth" - both for pretty much the same reasons: lots of charted space, lots of uncharted space, well realized societies, and lots of interesting aliens.

Hmm.....Humanx.....and there is even an easily convertible game supplement out there. Used to play that one a lot, back in the GURPS days since I had a lot of friends at the time that were actually familiar with the books. Great stuff, even the stand alone stuff like Sentenced to Prisim.

~Rex

Hmm.....Humanx.....and there is even an easily convertible game supplement out there. Used to play that one a lot, back in the GURPS days since I had a lot of friends at the time that were actually familiar with the books. Great stuff, even the stand alone stuff like Sentenced to Prisim.

~Rex

With a few illustrations by me!

Hands down: Firefly.

Runner up: Enterprise.

I know that second one is strange, but the concept had huge potential and it would be easy to run an original crew of player characters in lieu of Archer and Co.

Of course, most gamers would want to keep hottie vulcan in spandex and Hoshi as NPCs, but otherwise....

Firefly....always fun. Enterprise...maybe if it were done right. If I had to do another Trek Game....I'd probably do Star Trek Corp of Engineers. Something different.

~Rex

I'll have to take a look for those then. Sounds like they would go well with the Flandry of Terra stuff on the shelf so I have Conan in Space next to Bond in Space, heh.

~Rex

Here's a bit of background on the Dumarest books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumarest_saga

But' date=' gaming-wise, my go to setting for science fiction has always been DP9's Jovian Chronicles [b']without[/b] the Mechs.

Heh, I LOVE that game, and even with the Exo's the setting is fantastic. I've done it both with and without Exo's, and I'd side with you that it seems to play better setting wise without the mecha aspect of it. Would definitly be on my list to play/convert/run.

~Rex

Here's a bit of background on the Dumarest books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumarest_saga

Awesome BB, thanks for the info, and I just happen to have a spare pile of singles sitting around and a few book stores waiting to be hit up this week.

~Rex

A published setting?

Just one?

I think it would be Andre Norton's Witch World.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that we very nearly drew from that for the Sword and Sorcery Draft....

But' date=' gaming-wise, my go to setting for science fiction has always been DP9's Jovian Chronicles [b']without[/b] the Mechs.

A friend of mine ran a HERO game set in that world. I was only in it for a few sessions, but it was fun.

A published setting?

Just one?

I think it would be Andre Norton's Witch World.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that we very nearly drew from that for the Sword and Sorcery Draft....

Very interesting. Would be tough, but definitely interesting. Gonna have to dig out my old box of Andre Norton stuff and dig out the Witchworld material and give it a read again. Been awhile, but great stuff.

~Rex

Heh, I LOVE that game, and even with the Exo's the setting is fantastic. I've done it both with and without Exo's, and I'd side with you that it seems to play better setting wise without the mecha aspect of it. Would definitly be on my list to play/convert/run.

~Rex

Silcore is one of my (few) Hero alternate systems. I run it in the original system, esp. since its got a great vehicle system, which science fiction needs. But, as for the Exos, I'd agree. Its a great game for that too. It just feels either/or to me. If you're running an Exo based game the rest of the (very cool) setting is just background noise. And if you aren't, then the Exo's are extraneous.

Yeah I'd have to side with that. I blended a lot of the heavy gear stuff into it for a try out. That seems to give the PA folks something to chew on, while keeping all the cool JC Ships and such and Bio of a Space Tyrant feel from fading into the background of Giant Mecha action.

~Rex...DP9 puts out great product though, even if just for source material or cribbing, heh.

It has been about 1 year since I added to this thread and our group is kind of up in the air on what to do next. I think I am going to go with my 1st pick of Mass Effect. The codex provides me with enough crap to fill out details on the universe while leaving plenty open for me to mess with. I dig the universe concepts and I think the balance between space fantasy and more sci-fi is solid. It helps that at least 3 of us play the damn game a lot.