If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

RexMundi

Re: If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

The setting from Fantasy Games' Unlimited's Space Opera game. The rules themselves were... uneven' date=' but the setting was Exactly What It Says On The Tin.

Heh....I was a huge FGU fan back in the golden age of games.......Space Opera always cracked me up. Want to be, a Mobile Infantry Power Suit Wearing Vulcan Jedi Lensman that came from Dune? No Problem. They stole EVERYTHING for that setting, and somehow, managed to get it to work. You needed an odd sort of thought process to get the rules to work though on the vehicle end, and I remember generating Exploratory PC's, that could buy half the known universe with their bonus pay, but it was still a good time. Was sort of like, Traveller, on PCP.

~Rex

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could live with this one as well. Certainly a lot of options there to expand upon plus you could swipe everything else Moebius Art you wanted for visual bait. Not to mention, having a movie for movie day before the campaign, is very helpful. I managed to get people to play in my "Event Horizon" campaign for a couple of years after that movie hit. 5th Element, certainly would attract some strong players.

~Rex

Space Angel would also be a great Toth suggestion. Certainly a lot of Classic room there. To bad the Evil Utube disabled the Embedding.

That particular one had embedding disabled by the uploader. But you can click through to Youtube to see it.

My first instinct was to choose Iain Banks' Culture books, but to be honest I don't think I could do the setting justice. So I'm going to with GrimJack's Cynosure. I've always been partial gritty urbane settings, and you can't beat Cynosure for variety.

I've noticed, that there is a lot of thought going on in the selections. When people even choose a "standard" like Trek, or Wars, it's always with a specific reason, TOS, or Clones, points of interest. I am really liking the Alex Toth setting myself, really tempting to write that up, heh. Nice call on Grimjack as well I was looking at that as an alternate, especially for it's gritty elements as well. Alita, I would also say is safe. There's nothing saying Cyberpunk can't be under the Sci Fi wings.

~Rex

I am really liking the Alex Toth setting myself' date=' really tempting to write that up, heh.[/quote']

But it has to be written in the proper voice. Transor did not say to Space Ghost that he had a transporter. He said "I possess the Secret of Matter Transmission!" Similarly Metallus did not say that he had stealth technology. He said "I too possess the Power of Invisibility!"

If you are serious about an Alex Toth setting, you might find useful the Space Ghost faq

http://webpages.charter.net/superheroes/space_ghost.htm

But it has to be written in the proper voice. Transor did not say to Space Ghost that he had a transporter. He said "I possess the Secret of Matter Transmission!" Similarly Metallus did not say that he had stealth technology. He said "I too possess the Power of Invisibility!"

If you are serious about an Alex Toth setting, you might find useful the Space Ghost faq

http://webpages.charter.net/superheroes/space_ghost.htm

correction blease i have space ghost and dino boy the complete series and the line spokenby space ghost is 'so mettallus has also discovered the secret of invisibility' also ther series was made before the phrases "teleportaion and "stealth technology were coined

correction blease i have space ghost and dino boy the complete series and the line spokenby space ghost is 'so matallus has also discovered the secret of invisibility' also ther series was made before the phrases "teleportaion and "stealth technology were coined

I stand corrected.

But you see the point I'm trying to get across. Style is everything with space opera.

correction blease i have space ghost and dino boy the complete series and the line spokenby space ghost is 'so matallus has also discovered the secret of invisibility' also ther series was made before the phrases "teleportaion and "stealth technology were coined

Correction, Charles Fort introduced the term "teleportation" in 1931.

I've noticed, that there is a lot of thought going on in the selections. When people even choose a "standard" like Trek, or Wars, it's always with a specific reason, TOS, or Clones, points of interest. I am really liking the Alex Toth setting myself, really tempting to write that up, heh. Nice call on Grimjack as well I was looking at that as an alternate, especially for it's gritty elements as well. Alita, I would also say is safe. There's nothing saying Cyberpunk can't be under the Sci Fi wings.

~Rex

Uhm.... cyberpunk is already under SF wings. It's a subset of SF, not a complete different genre.

My top 3 in order would be.

1. Mass Effect I realy dig the "science" and the psionic(biotics), the story was cool and the lore was fairly deep. There is enough to give me a good starting point without really putting any contraints on making it my own.

2. Farscape

3. Firefly

It seems like everyone is avoiding he Star Wars universe. It may be overexposed, but (taken in toto) its as rich as they come.

I personally like the universe of ALIEN LEGION!

DH16362lg.jpg

See my NEMESIS SQUADRON link below. :)

My name is Sketchpad ... and I endorse this message ;)

• 1 year later...

It seems like everyone is avoiding he Star Wars universe. It may be overexposed, but (taken in toto) its as rich as they come.

I personally like the universe of ALIEN LEGION!

DH16362lg.jpg

See my NEMESIS SQUADRON link below. :)

Uh, yes. And repped.

Probably something set post-singularity. Maybe Accelerando by Stross?

A total digression, but I was at school with Charlie Stross, though he was a sixth-former while I was in the second year. On a school trip to Italy I remember him working on a hugely intricate ink drawing of Demogorgon, based on the illustration in the AD&D1e Monster Manual.

He also came up with the githyanki and githzerai in the original Fiend Folio, both of which have remained D&D favourites.

I sent him an e-mail after I found him referenced as a hot new SF writer, but he doesn't really remember me.

Sadly, I haven't managed to find any of his books in paper form over here.

It's in stock at Amazon......should be avaialble anywhere then right?
Anywhere Amazon ships, at least. My novel's on Amazon, but the only place besides that for the paperback is at the publisher's site, Lulu (link in sig).