If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

RexMundi

Re: If you Had to Pick, ONE (already) Setting, to Run in, What is it?

The Honerverse. It's one of the few where space is BIG.

The last couple of books came with the Honorverse Setting info material all on disk (hardback copies), even the libary copies. Lota info on that thing I was actually suprised when I was digging through that. I think one of the things I always liked about the Honorverse stuff was the Age of Sail feel, the Space is BIG, and Missiles......lots of missiles, heh. I wouldn't turn up my nose to playing in a solid Honorverse Sci Fi game.

~Rex

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comic book series "Runaways". I haven't played a teenage male clueless about females for years. Romance' date=' violence, betrayal, it's all there.[/quote']

Hmm....Interesting choice, definite potential.

~Rex

I'd go with the Dumarest of Terra books by E.C. Tubb. Dumarest is like Conan in space. :D

I'll have to take a look for those then. Sounds like they would go well with the Flandry of Terra stuff on the shelf so I have Conan in Space next to Bond in Space, heh.

~Rex

We're of a certain age. If you played SF games in the late '70s or early '80s, odds on you played Traveller. :D

I was lucky enough to pick up the Comstar Traveller Hero PDFs that shadowcat and a few other board members were involved in before the Mongoose licence forced it off the market.

Having run one of my players through Megatraveller chargen a few nights ago (he enjoyed it), I'm putting Trav Hero on the to do list. We may generate characters in MT and use them for inspiration in creating Hero characters.

Third Imperium. Classic era. Spinward Marches.

+1 Great setting, and unlimited potential. I have a strong H Beam Piper feel to my Spinward Marches campaign, and could happily do a straight HBP campaign.

I'd agree' date=' but then I think about doing a HERO template for the SC agents. How many points do you think that would come to?[/quote']

200-300 points (IMO.) That neural lace and implanted glands allow them to do a lot!

While wrapping up our Champions campaign, I'm currently doing the preliminary work on a new campaign using the RTS Starcraft as the setting. It's REALLY ecclectic & allows a GM to mix in elements of rebellious colonists vs oppressive regimes (a super common sci-fi theme, & given that in Starcraft, humanity has a kind of "hicks in space" motif, that all carries a strong Firefly vibe) all the way up to crazy advanced alien tech & psionics like you'd find in a B5 or simliar setting, all while still allowing survival/horror elements as in the Aliens series when they were good (huge fan of the 1st 3 movies - some of the best sci-fi ever made, imho.) If you're not familiar w/ Starcraft but familiar w/ the works of Robert Heinlein (Starship Troopers) then you're pretty much familiar with Starcraft, except all the marines are rednecks instead of high school students.

Yeah, but Human vs. Protoss would be bad for a group of PC's, IIRC. A single Protoss has powers enough to take down a Starship. Could be misremembering ;)

I just recently watched the B5 Series from start to finish, and agree it makes a decent setting for an RPG.

200-300 points (IMO.) That neural lace and implanted glands allow them to do a lot!

There's a scene in Matter where a Culture SC agent lists off all the systems and implants she had to deactivate when leaving the Culture -- it's a long list! I'll look it up later, but IIRC, 300 points might not even be close.

There's a scene in Matter where a Culture SC agent lists off all the systems and implants she had to deactivate when leaving the Culture -- it's a long list! I'll look it up later' date=' but IIRC, 300 points might not even be close.[/quote']

True. It also depends on how you build them. Certain chemical powers might not be all that expensive. On the other hand, Culture ships have to be 1,000s of points. They have a SPD of 12-24, can teleport people vast distances, and in Surface Detail, a single Abominator class wipes out a fleet of 15 vessels in what seems to be milliseconds. Not to mention the vessel with 35,000 (or was it 85,000?) followers.

Weird, I thought I posted this already. I would elect to run HERO: Combat Evolved, see signature fit reference. We have full space faring ability, its a post war/ high hope seeing if done after the War of the Covenant, and I actually like a lot of the concepts. You can see what I built through the link in my signature.

There are a lot of settings out there, but that one is untapped. Very few stories have been told, comparatively, and that let's me channel David Drake and David Weber.

Yeah I know more then a few folks that would be down for a HALO HERO kinda thing. Actualy, there should be more potential there, and a few of the other shooter settings to work with then something like Starcraft (though that's not taking anything away from Starcraft).....

~Rex

We've had a lot of fun with HALO, Gears and various other SF shooters. I'd never really considered using the settings, though - figured it's easy enough to make a setting (or use an established one) to run a shooter.

For example, Alien Wars would be ideal. One hostile race (with endless subvariants), and a grizzled, combat-weary team of grunts just trying to do their job... Marcus Fenix belongs in Alien Wars. :D

Yeah see to me though, All those Shooter Universe.......

Alien Legion---Different Paint.

~Rex ...doesn't make them a bad choice though, especially some of the newer ones. :D

Here's the thing, though: when you break it down, HALO has all of the great elements that make a sci fi setting "go." Great tech, hate worthy villains, and a massive, unexplored universe that humanity needs to reboot and start exploring again. There will be races that want to cooperate (Sangheli) and those that don't (Brutes). So you have a lot of great options, from running gun fights, to exploration of other ancient races & relics, all that good stuff.

The universe portrayed in Andre Norton's Solar Queen series and related novels. It provided the prototype for the free trader campaign, it has no over-all narrative that would make the characters seem insignificant, and there were enough books in it that there's plenty of material to work with.

Guest steamteck

Mike Resnick's Santiago universe IS a very good choice but I might go with Larry Niven's Known Space universe instead. I frankly could be turned either way very easily.

Herculoids definately has its charm also.

It's the characters in Santiago that really grab me. I think my favorite scene is when Father William draws in his laser pistol in the middle of a sermon and shoots an assassin dead (in the left eye) without skipping a beat. "Don't touch him! There's paper on that man. He belongs to me and the Lord."

Preaching is just his day job. He's also a bounty hunter. Baddest preacher I've seen since Wolfwood.