A couple of brain cells connected...

Narf the Mouse

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A couple of brain cells connected...

Joel Rosenbergs the Guardians of the Flame series explores modern gamers who actually go to a fantasy world with their characters abilities and their own minds. they introduce Gunpowder, then the opposition develops something similar that explodes when in contact with water....

Rockets are pretty fundamentally inaccurate, although the tubes would help. The grouping effect here is real enough, but the beaten zone of this weapon would vary with air temperature and humidity. It would be pretty hard to aim them, and I have to question how much more effective this thing would be than the labour equivalent in archers and an entrenchment.

The killer app for artillery, whatever the energey source, is anti-fortification work. That's why they replaced the arrows of ancient ballistas with balls, and why gunpowder artillery moved on from arrows.

Unfortunately, sieges don't make good movies. How many verses of Men of Harlech can you listen to over the exchanges of sniper fire? (Especially with these lame lyrics.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q8EM0G8tjg

Rockets are pretty fundamentally inaccurate' date=' although the tubes would help. The grouping effect here is real enough, but the beaten zone of this weapon would vary with air temperature and humidity. It [i']would [/i]be pretty hard to aim them, and I have to question how much more effective this thing would be than the labour equivalent in archers and an entrenchment.

We already know the answer from history: when faced off against archers (or indeed, any troops in the open field) - epic fail. They are a niche weapon - inaccurate, slow to maneuver and reload, expensive and prone to accidents. But a lot of that applied to early artillery as well. Used carefully in the right place (ie; a siege) where they can't easily be avoided, and at close range where accuracy doesn't matter much, they could be very, very useful indeed.

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the "ancient nuclear weapons" Youtube clip. . . I never know how much credence to give stuff like that, since there are always at east a hundred nutjobs running around spewing baseless speculation for every one person who actually comes up with solid, empirical evidence.

Regarding the "ancient nuclear weapons" Youtube clip. . . I never know how much credence to give stuff like that' date=' since there are always at east a hundred nutjobs running around spewing baseless speculation for every one person who actually comes up with solid, empirical evidence.[/quote']

Yeah, but in a game....