Post-Apocalypse campaign with Pulp Hero feel

Steve

Re: Post-Apocalypse campaign with Pulp Hero feel

Just read Day After Ragnarok. It has mad science, air pirates, giant snakes, Nazis, Commies, Tommy guns, strange magics, two-fisted heroes, and plenty of strange lands to adventure in.

Don't forget you can have the Technology Worship thing in equal amounts as the Techno-Phobia. Lot of potential in Post Apocalypse. The REAL structure of Buck Rogers (it's initial run, and the current Dynamite Comics title), would give you what you want as an atmosphere as well.

~Rex

What elements of Pulp Hero would work well within a Post-Apocalypse setting?

A sense of wonder.

Pulp (at least adventure pulp) portrays the world as awe-inspiring on a grand scale, its heroes larger than life. A campaign needs some of that to really get it right. When the characters stumble across the ruins of Las Vegas it should have shades of Xuchotl from Red Nails, a expedition into the Rad-Zone should remind the players of At the Mountains of Madness. The heroes recapturing a stolen gas tanker should share as much with the chase in Raiders of the Lost Ark as it does with the escape in The Road Warrior.

I'd say that, bar none, Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales (aka Cadillacs and Dinosaurs) is the best example of these two brought together. The caveat is that Xenozoic is lighter on the action, its apocalypse isn't nuclear, and the (ironically) more familiar mutants and rad scorpions have been replaced with dinosaurs. The feel however- from the ancient library vaults hiding powerful weapons of war, to the island teeming with malevolently intelligent wildlife- is pure pulp.

Indeed. Day after Ragnarok is very Pulp meets Post Apocalypse (As well as being a very fun scenario). I've got a soft spot for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs though. I think I may have to put that together for a freebie game come Con time. Gonna drag the 6e stuff along with me, and already opened up some holes in my normally insane demo schedule for Mongoose so I can actually run and play some stuff for myself for once heh.

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...

The Cartoon looked like the Comic. Animated. I enjoyed it a lot really. Then again it combined three of my favorite things. Dino's, Old Cars, Betty Page good looking pin up Girls, and the Hero, was a grease monkey that used an Allosaur as a guard dog. Heh. What's not to like? Granted, it is the polar opposite of something like the works of Masanume Shirow, so it wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it WOULD, make for a great movie, heh.

~Rex