Starfall - A Gamma HERO campaign

Fedifensor

Re: Starfall - A Gamma HERO campaign

I have a character concept that I'm eager to explore within this context, but I think I should run it by the GMs before bothering to flesh it out further. This occurred to me when I noticed that the party did not have any Pures (though this has changed with the addition of Shori).

The basic idea is a man who has been brought up to believe that Pures are superior. He isn't overtly racist (speciest?); rather his prejudice takes the somewhat more subtle route that Pures are natural leaders. He tends to believe that Muts are either slightly less intelligent or suffer from corrupting influences that bias their decisions, depending on which argument better suits the situation. In the latter case, think of a woman who claims that all men think with their penis.

"It's not your fault you were born impure! But perhaps someone thinking clearly should take the lead here..."

The irony is that though he possesses some leadership qualities and a broad array of skills, the same racism that causes him to assume he should be the leader also makes him particularly ill-suited to lead--particularly in the wastelands where groups of Impure roam.

In terms of abilities and equipment, I envision him owning a well maintained bolt-action rifle and some light armor. He is trained in the use of the rifle (+1 OCV and perhaps +2 PSLs vs Range), but has only a shoddy knife for melee combat and isn't particularly skilled at it. Leaders should stay back where they're safe because they are the most valuable asset, right? He possesses a wide variety of technical and repair skills--at least, the variety is broad by post-apocalyptic standards--and carries a couple small kits for these purposes. Finally, I would want to set aside a chunk of points for cyberware, bioware, or . The idea is, something should happen to him that severely upsets his idea of what it is to be Pure.

It should be obvious why I want to run the concept before statting him out. He is a walking bundle of inter-party conflict. While this conflict should be non-violent and interesting, it is still conflict. I know that some GMs would prefer to avoid any conflict of this sort and have even felt that way myself depending on the type of campaign I'm running.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be obvious why I want to run the concept before statting him out. He is a walking bundle of inter-party conflict. While this conflict should be non-violent and interesting' date=' it is still conflict. I know that some GMs would prefer to avoid any conflict of this sort and have even felt that way myself depending on the type of campaign I'm running.[/quote']

Is he from Ill Noise? I hate Ill Noise pures.

I have a character concept that I'm eager to explore within this context, but I think I should run it by the GMs before bothering to flesh it out further. This occurred to me when I noticed that the party did not have any Pures (though this has changed with the addition of Shori).

The basic idea is a man who has been brought up to believe that Pures are superior. He isn't overtly racist (speciest?); rather his prejudice takes the somewhat more subtle route that Pures are natural leaders. He tends to believe that Muts are either slightly less intelligent or suffer from corrupting influences that bias their decisions, depending on which argument better suits the situation. In the latter case, think of a woman who claims that all men think with their penis.

"It's not your fault you were born impure! But perhaps someone thinking clearly should take the lead here..."

I like the concept. I'm not sure how the players will feel about your character, but as long as it's not a violent form of conflict I think it could add some flavor to the group. Feel free to flesh it out and post a formal application. You can start out by buying the bolt-action rifle as your tech item, with the understanding that it will transition from an item bought with points to normal equipment when your character has the incident that places ancient tech into his body.

We currently have one Pure PC, and a second is currently being review. However, I'm not too worried about the exact group composition, since we can adapt the plot as needed to fit the final group.

Aside from your proposal, here's what we're looking at:

Approved: Shori Hanzo (Pure), Dances With Spirits (Beast), Venus (Weed)

Undergoing Review: Trane (Mut), [name pending] (Pure)

NPCs: Salem (Pure), Brother Ghostlight (Mut), Triba (Mut)

Finally, a general warning to anyone who is considering violent inter-party conflict, Psych Lims like Casual Killer, etc. The wasteland can be a rough place, but there is a bit of a sense among the populace that what goes around, comes around. If your character is the sort to put a bullet in a man while he's helpless, don't be surprised if the same happens to your character when the tables are turned. Likewise, Zac and I aren't the sort of GMs to let one lucky roll from a random thug kill a character...but if that character has no redeeming qualities, don't expect us to intervene when the dice are against you.

The irony is that though he possesses some leadership qualities and a broad array of skills, the same racism that causes him to assume he should be the leader also makes him particularly ill-suited to lead--particularly in the wastelands where groups of Impure roam.

In terms of abilities and equipment, I envision him owning a well maintained bolt-action rifle and some light armor. He is trained in the use of the rifle (+1 OCV and perhaps +2 PSLs vs Range), but has only a shoddy knife for melee combat and isn't particularly skilled at it. Leaders should stay back where they're safe because they are the most valuable asset, right? He possesses a wide variety of technical and repair skills--at least, the variety is broad by post-apocalyptic standards--and carries a couple small kits for these purposes. Finally, I would want to set aside a chunk of points for cyberware, bioware, or . The idea is, something should happen to him that severely upsets his idea of what it is to be Pure.

It should be obvious why I want to run the concept before statting him out. He is a walking bundle of inter-party conflict. While this conflict should be non-violent and interesting, it is still conflict. I know that some GMs would prefer to avoid any conflict of this sort and have even felt that way myself depending on the type of campaign I'm running.

I am going to chime in my "pre" approval of the character. The inter party conflict may arrise, but it is nothing extreme. Salem Dislikes Bigots (or species-ists), it does not matter where they come from or what they are. Job (the previously un-named Pure) had it locked down in his background too, "He has no prejudices against any group... and sees no difference between pures, beasts, muts or weeds. They are all just trying to live."

I find it odd that the two of the three Pures spout racial equality. Maybe the trend is carried over into the game world too? Maybe the Pures feel they have been left out of genetic lottery and want their shot at the DNA Jackpot just like everyone else ;)

To piggyback on Zac's post I think it would be interesting to have distinct ideologies around Pures and what their nature means. this could run the gambit from Self loathing and feeling left behind by evolution to a radical supremacists or believing that each species exists for a distinct purpose (purpose varying from something like the earth finding a balance to X group is good slave stock). Obviously most people would fall somewhere in the middle but the idea of playing on these ideas could be fun in game.

That is good news all around! However, while attempting to come up with an initial draft of my character, I did come across a few things about which I have questions.

* It was noted that I should pay for the rifle with points. How should I handle the Charges aspect? I have defined it as 4 clips of 6 shots each, with Increased Reloading Time (2 Full Phases), since it doesn't actually have clips. Each shot must be manually loaded. The part I'm unsure about is what value I should assign to the Recovery Time in this campaign. Standard, one week, one month?

* Also, I plan on picking up a fair amount of science skills and professional skills, while having some of the more "practical application" skills (Mechanics, Lockpicking, ect) at the familiarity level to denote that while he has read extensively... he hasn't exactly had much hands-on experience. Would this be considered acceptable? I thought this would be a good way to represent someone with a broad range of experience without overshadowing other characters in their niche roles, whatever they may be.

EDIT: Whoops. I just remembered that the languages have changed. So chances are, the literacy ability would only allow me to read and write the current dialects rather than any language used in the Ancient World. I've tried to limit myself to sciences that would either be top on the list to figure out (Botany) and things that require the least amount of reading comprehension to understand (Mathematics).

I still need to fill in the appearance and background sections, but I figured I would post what I have to at least get the ball rolling. The sooner I get it to you two, the sooner I can make any necessary revisions.

Genma

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

12....STR.....2...12......11-.......HTH Damage 2d6 END [2]

14....DEX.....12...14......12-.......OCV 5 DCV 5

12....CON.....4...12......11-

12....BODY....4...12......11-

18....INT.....8...18......13-.......PER Roll 13-

14....EGO.....8...14......12-.......ECV: 5

10....PRE.....0...10......11-.......PRE Attack: 2d6

14....COM.....2...14......12-

2....PD......0...2/6.............2/6 PD (0/4 rPD)

2....ED......0...2/6.............2/6 ED (0/4 rED)

3....SPD.....6...3.................Phases: 4, 8, 12

4....REC.....0...4

24....END.....0...24

24....STUN....0...24

6....RUN......0...6"................END [1]

2....SWIM.....0...2"................END [1]

2....LEAP.....0...2"................2" forward, 1" upward

CHA Cost: 46

Cost...POWERS

6.....Bloodline of Purity: Power Defense (3 points), Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (x8 Active Points; +3/4) (6 Active Points) - END=0

5.....Accelerated Healing: Healing 1 BODY, Limited Power: Increased Food Intake (-0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Day (-2 3/4), Self Only (-1/2) - END=0

..... - END=

8.....Bolt-Action Rifle: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 2 clips of 12 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; -3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4) - END=[12]

POWERS Cost: 19

Cost...SKILLS

......Skilled Shot

5......1) +1 with Ranged Combat

4......2) Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifiers with Rifles

3......3) WF: Small Arms, Blades

3......Scholar

1......1) KS: Brewing (2 Active Points) 11-

1......2) KS: Carpentry (2 Active Points) 11-

1......3) KS: Locksmithing (2 Active Points) 11-

1......4) KS: Metalworking (2 Active Points) 11-

1......5) KS: Tanning (2 Active Points) 11-

3......Scientist

1......1) Science Skill: Biology 11- (2 Active Points)

1......2) Science Skill: Botany 11- (2 Active Points)

1......3) Science Skill: Chemistry 11- (2 Active Points)

1......4) Science Skill: Mathematics 11- (2 Active Points)

1......5) Science Skill: Metallurgy 11- (2 Active Points)

3......Concealment 13-

5......Cramming

3......Cryptography 13-

1......Demolitions 8-

3......Electronics 13-

3......Forensic Medicine 13-

3......Inventor 13-

2......Language: Pre-Apocalypse English (basic conversation; literate)

1......Lockpicking 8-

1......Mechanics 8-

2......Navigation (Land) 13-

3......Paramedics 13-

3......Persuasion 11-

1......Poisoning 8-

1......Security Systems 8-

1......Systems Operation 8-

2......Survival (Desert) 13-

......Apocalyptic Everyman

0......1) Acting 8-

0......2) Climbing 8-

0......3) AK: Wastelands (Everyman) 12-

0......4) CK: Fedrex 8-

0......5) Language: Amrikana (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0......6) PS: Leatherworking 11-

0......7) Shadowing 8-

0......8) Stealth 8-

0......9) Survival (Mountain) 8-

0......10) TF: Equines, Everyman

SKILLS Cost: 66

Cost...TALENTS

3......Lightning Calculator

TALENTS Cost: 3

Value..DISADVANTAGES

15.....Floating DNPC: A Victim In Every Town 8- (Incompetent)

10.....Floating Hunted: Who Did I Offend Today? 11- (As Pow; NCI; Limited Geographical Area; Mildly Punish)

15.....Hunted: Stargazers 8- (As Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Bigot (Common; Strong)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Seeks Knowledge of Pre-Apocalypse World (Common; Moderate)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 65

Base Pts: 75

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 134

Background/History

Personality/Motivation

Generally, Genma is a kind and considerate person. He will happily help anyone that has not given him reason to distrust them, though he does try to keep this urge under control out in the dangers of the wastes. There are a couple parts of Genma's personality that are anything but considerate however. For one thing, his extreme intelligence causes him to assume that he is the intellectual superior of anyone he meets. Most of the time, he's right, but that doesn't mean it is wise to act that way. In addition, Genma is a subtle bigot. He has been brought up to believe that Pures are superior to any Impure being.^^^^While he believes that individual Muts can rise above the unfortunate circumstances of their birth, most are condemned to a life of inferiority. It isn't that he doesn't recognize how powerful many Muts and Beasts are. It is simply that anyone not Pure is either less intelligent than a Pure, prone to making poor decisions due to their corrupt nature, or both. Generally, he doesn't seek to put down those around him, but he does try to put himself in a leadership role in any situation unless their is a Pure that he clearly recognizes as a better leader. He can also, at times, subtly talk down to Muts and Beasts; often he comes across as pitying the Impure.

Powers/Tactics

Genma prefers to keep his distance, remain behind cover, and pick off opponents with his rifle. He is relatively skilled with it, particularly at range, but possesses very little combat experience in any other area.

Campaign Use

Appearance

I still need to fill in the appearance and background sections, but I figured I would post what I have to at least get the ball rolling. The sooner I get it to you two, the sooner I can make any necessary revisions.

Genma

Stats are fine.

Rifle: I am going to say drop the STR min on the weapon. You did pay points for it and it is an RKA. I will let fed weigh in for the final rule, but I was firing a bolt action rifle at 7 years old. The requires two hands, beam and increased reload time are fine. Charges are going to work differently depending on the nature of the charge. The usual rule is it recharges at the end of the adventure, but adventures can be long. Salem's Blaster Rifle has a solar recharge, so for every two full hours in the sun he gets back a charge. For your rifle it could be assumed you need a place to restock (you have real ammo). Every day you spend in a "town" you get a clip back for free. If you want to get all your clips back quick, you may have to barter for the ammo. However, you could also come across an ancient cache and get more clips :)

Skills: you are a talented person :) I recommend taking the +1 with Rifles to +1 Ranged. If you are an experienced shooter, chance are you know when to seek cover. With the rush of PS and KS I would look at focusing. Having Knowledge of a thing and professional training at a thing are different. Being proficient at 7 crafts is pretty darn huge. I am not saying you can't have them, its just a wide field of trained knowledge.

Disads: We are using the standard heroic tier for disads, so no more than 25 points in a catagory. I would think about changing the floating hunted to a definite group BUT how it is IS fine. You can always tick a group off in a town as easy as anyone else :)

Background: Light but good. You don't mention where the character hails from or if he has even been out and about. Family? Friends? Etc.

All and all, I really like what the character could bring to the game. I hope to see you "on the other boards" soon :)

Zac

I have updated my previous post to reflect the changes I've made. I removed the strength limitation on the rifle. I hadn't thought about it, but between it being equipment I paid points for, the fact that it isn't independent (maybe it should be, but that's a rather silly limitation), and the fact that the strength limitation will come up infrequently, if at all, it is a Limitation Worth No Points in every sense of the word. I also changed the Charges from 6 shots with 4 clips to 12 shots with 2 clips. I took off the Increased Recovery Time and substituted Recovers Under Limited Circumstances. I had forgotten about that limiter for some reason; it fits better. It has a variable value... I assigned it at -1/2 but obviously I await final judgment on that one.

You raised a good point about the Professional Skills. Most of them I kept, save that I substituted them for Knowledge Skills. That's actually what I was going for in the first place: plenty of theory but little practical experience. I figure he has apprenticed with a lot of people and tried to improve their processes, but hasn't spent enough time at any of them to actually have earned the practical, hands-on experience that a PS would represent.

I changed the CSL with Rifles to All Ranged Combat. I was trying to save points, but it's only a difference of 2 points. Hah. I also deleted Eidetic Memory... it seemed a little too cliche.

The Obsessed With Technology psych lim has been eliminated to bring me under the 25 per category requirement. Upon further thought, the Seeking Lore[...] lim would kind of include the Obsessed psych lim to a certain degree, so it was probably double dipping anyway. I kept the Floating Hunted but lowered the value to Mildly Punish to reflect people he pisses off wherever he goes. They may refuse to barter with him or seek to get him kicked out of town, but they probably don't want to kill him, so Harshly Punish was a bit overboard. I added a specific Hunter to bring up the disadvantage total.

In the end, I still come in under the 75 point disadvantage maximum, but my points balance out. I realized that is probably okay. If some Horrific Accident befalls him, it will likely result in a Distinctive Feature of some sort. This way, the addition of that would not require the elimination of a completely unrelated disadvantage, which would be a little strange. I suppose a brain implant could cure a psych limitation...

I still haven't entered a background section because I haven't slept in quite a while. I can work math well enough to build my character, but am not lucid enough to write a coherent background. I half-suspect the entire post I just typed is gibberish.

Sobran, here are my thoughts on the character:

Stats look fine, though a 12 STR will give you 2d6+1 STR damage. We use Increased Damage Differential - there should be a checkbox for it in Hero Designer. You might want to consider another point or two of base PD, since a Pure who has survived in this environment is probably used to his fair share of bruises and cuts.

Given that you're definitely non-optimized in terms of your physical stats, I'd be willing to allow you to emphasize the high Intelligence even further if you want to spend the points. Yes, that means you could go to a 23 (paying 3 extra points due to NCM), which means Marilyn vos Savant would have some competition. :)

The bolt-action rifle should not have a STR minimum limitation. Now, when you end up trading in the points and it becomes a normal weapon, it will probably have some sort of STR minimum at that point. Until then, you don't have to worry about being unable to fire due to a STR drain (from poisons, diseases, or strange mutant powers).

Taking a -1/2 on the charge recovery will make the charges only recover at the end of an adventure by default. However, circumstances can adjust this. If the rifle is not ancient tech and was made in Lo, you can barter for more ammo from traders you may meet in the Wasteland. You could even acquire the skills and equipment to make new bullets during the course of the game (gunsmithing and an ammo press would be the minimum requirements). On the flip side, if circumstances dictate that the end of the adventure doesn't give you the opportunity to restock your ammo (maybe the path back to Fedrex is cut off due to heavy snows), you're stuck until that opportunity arises.

If the rifle IS ancient tech, good luck trying to get ammo for it - you'd need to have a secret stash of ammo back in Fedrex that you can pull from for new bullets (which is free as part of the charges limitation - you paid points for the rifle). Expect the ammo stash to run out about the time you switch the points paid for the rifle to something else.

Skills are fine - though keep in mind that we are at a Wasteland level of tech. For example, the most comprehensive knowledge of chemistry that you can have at the start of the game is info gained from a beat-up, barely readable copy of a high school textbook, further limited by the fact that you only have basic conversation with the language of the Ancients. As the game progresses and you get more exposure to the lost civilization of the Ancients, what you can find out with a Chemistry roll will increase, even if you never put another point into the skill.

You may want to look at scraping up a few points for one or both of the following Survival specializations - Mountains and Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland. You start in the former environment, and the latter is very useful.

Finally, for the record, Independent is a disallowed limitation for the campaign. I'm not going to hold the threat of losing points forever over someone's head.

Alright, here's the updated sheet. I swapped out Botany for Physics. As noted in the background, this isn't meant to denote knowledge about how the cosmos work or how things function on a quantum level. It's merely crude equations about gravity, trajectory, and other things we can see and feel. I do realize that Genma's knowledge about scientific subjects isn't anything close to what a similar roll would produce in a modern campaign.

I dropped the rifle's damage a tiny bit. Given what you said Fed, I had to give this some thought. What I came up with was an Ancient Tech rifle that had been modified to accept Lo's substandard ammunition. I briefly pondered a rifle that accelerated bits of metal and operated with a small nuclear power cell that recharged itself over time but... I wasn't sure how to build the Charges on that, so I said eff it.

I did up his intelligence, but I feel I should note that puts his intelligence based skills at 14-, which I note is kind of the upper limit. Thankfully, right now he has a lot of familiarities, but as I begin to upgrade skills, quite a few will jump up to the 14- level. That isn't as much of a problem with the science skills, since they are as limited as you say they are. For "active" skills, it may be, so I point it out.

I have Survival (Mountains) as an Everyman. I swapped out Desert for Wastelands. Good call. And now that I've slept, there is a background! Still uh, missing a description.

Genma Zofka

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

12....STR.....2...12......11-.......HTH Damage 2d6+1 END [1]

14....DEX.....12...14......12-.......OCV 5 DCV 5

12....CON.....4...12......11-

12....BODY....4...12......11-

23....INT.....16...23......14-.......PER Roll 14-

14....EGO.....8...14......12-.......ECV: 5

10....PRE.....0...10......11-.......PRE Attack: 2d6

14....COM.....2...14......12-

5....PD......3...5/9.............5/9 PD (0/4 rPD)

3....ED......1...3/7.............3/7 ED (0/4 rED)

3....SPD.....6...3.................Phases: 4, 8, 12

4....REC.....0...4

24....END.....0...24

24....STUN....0...24

6....RUN......0...6"................END [1]

2....SWIM.....0...2"................END [1]

2....LEAP.....0...2"................2" forward, 1" upward

CHA Cost: 58

Cost...POWERS

6.....Bloodline of Purity: Power Defense (3 points), Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (x8 Active Points; +3/4) (6 Active Points) - END=0

5.....Accelerated Healing: Healing 1 BODY, Limited Power: Increased Food Intake (-0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Day (-2 3/4), Self Only (-1/2) - END=0

..... - END=

7.....Bolt-Action Rifle: RKA 2d6-1 (25 Active Points); 4 clips of 6 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; -1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4) - END=[6]

POWERS Cost: 18

Cost...SKILLS

......Skilled Shot

5......1) +1 with Ranged Combat

4......2) Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifiers with Rifles

3......3) WF: Small Arms, Blades

3......Scholar

1......1) KS: Brewing (2 Active Points) 11-

1......2) KS: Carpentry (2 Active Points) 11-

1......3) KS: Locksmithing (2 Active Points) 11-

1......4) KS: Metalworking (2 Active Points) 11-

1......5) KS: Tanning (2 Active Points) 11-

3......Scientist

1......1) Science Skill: Biology 11- (2 Active Points)

1......2) Science Skill: Chemistry 11- (2 Active Points)

1......3) Science Skill: Mathematics 11- (2 Active Points)

1......4) Science Skill: Metallurgy 11- (2 Active Points)

1......5) Science Skill: Physics 11- (2 Active Points)

2......Concealment 10-

5......Cramming

3......Cryptography 14-

1......Demolitions 8-

3......Electronics 14-

1......Forensic Medicine 8-

3......Inventor 14-

2......Language: Pre-Apocalypse English (basic conversation; literate)

1......Lockpicking 8-

1......Mechanics 8-

2......Navigation (Land) 14-

3......Paramedics 14-

2......Persuasion 10-

1......Security Systems 8-

1......Systems Operation 8-

2......Survival (Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland) 14-

......Apocalyptic Everyman

0......1) Acting 8-

0......2) Climbing 8-

0......3) AK: Wastelands (Everyman) 12-

0......4) CK: Fedrex 8-

0......5) Language: Amrikana (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0......6) PS: Leatherworking 11-

0......7) Shadowing 8-

0......8) Stealth 8-

0......9) Survival (Mountain) 8-

0......10) TF: Equines, Everyman

SKILLS Cost: 61

Cost...TALENTS

3......Lightning Calculator

TALENTS Cost: 3

Value..DISADVANTAGES

5.....Floating Hunted: Who Did I Offend Today? 8- (As Pow; NCI; Limited Geographical Area; Mildly Punish)

10.....DNPC: A Victim In Every Town 8- (Normal)

15.....Hunted: Stargazers 8- (As Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)

0.....Normal Characteristic Maxima

20.....Normal Characteristic Maxima

15.....Psychological Limitation: Bigot (Common; Strong)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Seeks Knowledge of Pre-Apocalypse World (Common; Moderate)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 75

Base Pts: 75

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 140

Equipment

Brigandine Armor: (4 PD/4 ED) Real Armor, Normal Mass, OIF

Shoddy Knife: 1d6-1 HKA (1d6 w/STR), Real Weapon, OAF, STR Minimum 6, Can Be Thrown

Aaaand the background, separated out for ease of reading:

Background/History

Genma was born and raised in Fedrex. His father, John, runs a small pub in Fedrex and has for many years. His true value to the community comes from a foul beverage he brews in the basement of the Hearty Hand Pub--something he calls Zofka. Periodically, John buys potatoes from passing traders and, through some arcane process he guards jealously, transforms it into Zofka. This powerful beverage is useful not only to help men and women recently returned from Cargo trips forget their woes, it also serves as a powerful disinfectant. Bottles of the substance are often traded to the doctors of the town. Though John hates the idea of any of his precious Zofka going to waste, he recognizes that without its ability to prevent wounds from becoming tainted, he likely would not be able to stay in Fedrex.

Years ago, during John's last Cargo trip, he was badly wounded. His companions brought him back to Fedrex, where his life was saved. His sanity, however, is another matter. A bullet lodged deep in John's skull, never to be retrieved. To his credit, John slew the man who shot him before collapsing from bloodloss. It is this man's rifle that has been passed on to his son, an irony not lost on Genma. After John's friends disappeared, he had no one to remind him of the things he constantly forgot. By the time Genma was born, he had forgotten his name. Folks around town had taken to calling him Zofka or John in the absence of anything else. The name stuck.

The year after John was wounded, his friends ventured out again, led by a Mut whose name he has forgotten. They never returned. John claimed that had he led the expedition, his friends would have returned. He ranted and raved until the Council threatened to throw him out of Fedrex for disturbing the peace. He settled down, opened his bar, and even found a Pure woman that could put up with his antics. He never let go of his certainty that the Mut leading the expedition had gotten his friends killed. He told his customers in hushed tones over glasses of beer or Zofka. He told his wife in dark tones after everyone had gone home. And years later, he told his son. Again and again, with frightful certainty.

It was a surprise to many when Crazy Old John's son turned out to be a genius. By this time, many had forgotten that John had been an intelligent man himself before the head injury. John raised his son on stories of his Cargo expeditions. When he was old enough, Genma learned to help out at the bar, and eventually, even how to brew the precious Zofka. It was John's hope that Genma would eventually take over the pub, but John's stories ensured that would never happen. Genma realized his father was a little crazy, but often not the extent to which his insanity went. He made excuses to get away from the pub whenever possible, both to be free of his father, and to hear more stories of the outside world.

The first person that Genma apprenticed under was a town doctor that went by Stitch. It was Stitch who realized that Zofka could be used to disinfect wounds and it was Stitch that served as John's only friend in Fedrex after everyone else he knew was gone. It was well known that Stitch was a little crazy too. No one knew why. But no one could deny that Stitch was a brilliant physician. From Stitch's hands, Genma learned to treat wounds, and from his stories he learned more of the Wastelands. He learned how to survive. He learned how to use medical knowledge to determine how a person was killed, a talent that Stitch claimed had saved his life many times.

During his early teens, Genma volunteered his services to craftsmen of virtually every type. At first, he was rebuffed. Eventually, his reputation as hard working and intelligent made things easier. From the craftsmen he would learn the basics of their craft. From Genma, the craftsmen would occasionally learn something that made their jobs easier. Genma had a knack for picking up on the theories that made things work. From there, he was often able to deduce a way to improve the process, however slightly.

As he got older, he began to trade his services for battered books and sheafs of unsorted papers. Through tireless effort, Genma was able to teach himself the rudiments of the Ancient's language. Not enough to fully grasp the books of course, but enough that he learned things not many knew. Math was the easiest of course. Math is, as they say, the universal language. From there, Genma learned the rudiments of physics. Not how stars work of course or even the slightest bit about subatomic matter. But things that rely almost entirely on diagrams and equations, Genma began to learn. Things like how objects fall, how to calculate a crude trajectory, or how to properly calculate the volume of a liquid.

It was from these lessons that Genma was able to help people around town in small ways. He knew it wasn't enough to substitute for Cargo, but he didn't want it to. Genma burned to know more of the outside world. He longed to explore the wastelands. He hungered to discover the technology of the Ancients and bend it to his will. He realizes his knowledge, however advanced compared to those around him, is woefully incomplete. Genma is confident he can live up to the challenge--much to his father's chagrin.

Personality/Motivation

Generally, Genma is a kind and considerate person. He will happily help anyone that has not given him reason to distrust them, though he does try to keep this urge under control out in the dangers of the wastes. There are a couple parts of Genma's personality that are anything but considerate however. For one thing, his extreme intelligence causes him to assume that he is the intellectual superior of anyone he meets. Most of the time, he's right, but that doesn't mean it is wise to act that way. In addition, Genma is a subtle bigot. He has been brought up to believe that Pures are superior to any Impure being.

While he believes that individual Muts can rise above the unfortunate circumstances of their birth, most are condemned to a life of inferiority. It isn't that he doesn't recognize how powerful many Muts and Beasts are. It is simply that anyone not Pure is either less intelligent than a Pure, prone to making poor decisions due to their corrupt nature, or both. Generally, he doesn't seek to put down those around him, but he does try to put himself in a leadership role in any situation unless their is a Pure that he clearly recognizes as a better leader. He can also, at times, subtly talk down to Muts and Beasts; often he comes across as pitying the Impure.

Powers/Tactics

Genma prefers to keep his distance, remain behind cover, and pick off opponents with his rifle. He is relatively skilled with it, particularly at range, but possesses very little combat experience in any other area.

Campaign Use

Appearance

I dropped the rifle's damage a tiny bit. Given what you said Fed' date=' I had to give this some thought. What I came up with was an Ancient Tech rifle that had been modified to accept Lo's substandard ammunition. I briefly pondered a rifle that accelerated bits of metal and operated with a small nuclear power cell that recharged itself over time but... I wasn't sure how to build the Charges on that, so I said eff it.[/quote']

Fair enough. I envision most ancient tech as having two ways to "recharge". Many of the civilian tech that Pures are taking as their one tech item recharge off of solar, and I feel those items should also recharge off of broadcast power should that become available. Your gun can use ammo manufactured in Lo, and also has the option of using ancient ammo should that become available.

I did up his intelligence, but I feel I should note that puts his intelligence based skills at 14-, which I note is kind of the upper limit. Thankfully, right now he has a lot of familiarities, but as I begin to upgrade skills, quite a few will jump up to the 14- level. That isn't as much of a problem with the science skills, since they are as limited as you say they are. For "active" skills, it may be, so I point it out.

Zac and I have talked about this, and we're okay with you having Int-based skills at 14-. Basically, being smart is your 'niche'. Shori is fast and has martial arts, Venus is exceptionally strong...everyone has their area of expertise, and we don't feel that you will overshadow the others.

Character sheet looks okay, though you don't seem to have paid the extra 3 points for the INT being over NCM. However, you'll want to look at my next post, as we're making a change that will make it easier for people to get the full 75 points of disadvantages.

I have Survival (Mountains) as an Everyman. I swapped out Desert for Wastelands. Good call. And now that I've slept, there is a background! Still uh, missing a description.

I was curious about the Poisoner 8- skill...that's not something taught in Fedrex. Care to expand on that?

Normal Characteristic Maxima

Today, I had a talk with Zac about Normal Characteristic Maxima. We've looked at the various character types, and realized that every character, even a Pure, has a way they could increase stats above the normal limit. Pures can get tech enhancements like cyberware or bioware, Beasts may be naturally strong due to the animal stock they come from, Muts may have an above-normal stat as the result of their mutation, etc. We've also had the problem of characters (particularly Pures) having trouble getting a full 75 points of disadvantages.

We've decided to change how Normal Characteristic Maxima works in the campaign. Instead of being mandatory and worth no points, NCM now gives the standard 20 points to characters. However, it is still the default, and those who wish to avoid taking it must acquire special permission. Pures in particular must take the disadvantage unless they have technological enhancements that allow them to bypass the normal levels of human achievement.

Looking at the characters currently in the campaign, the two characters that could justify not taking NCM are Dances With Spirits and Venus. This may change during the game, of course. In particular, a Pure may start with NCM then drop it when the character gets some form of body enhancement. Those who already have more than 55 points of disadvantages who have NCM will be able to drop or adjust disadvantages as needed to get within the 75 point limit.

I will make adjustments to the Character Creation Guidelines to reflect this change, both here and on the Starfall campaign messages board.

I've managed to get NCM working--sort of. I didn't notice that it wasn't charging the extra points for that INT. It is now, but no matter how I toggle the settings, it still shows up as a Disadvantage worth 0 points. Oh well. I'll likely just add a physical disadvantage, call it NCM, and ignore the darn thing.

I imagined the Poisoner stemming from his knowledge of Botany... which I just realized I had swapped out. Without it, I see no reason to have Poisoner on there. I shall sacrifice the familiarity in the name of INT. I lowered some other disadvantage values to make room for NCM, removed Poisoner, and called it a day. Haven't updated my other post yet however.

EDIT: Just updated sheet.

After we finish the prequel and since you have fleshed out more of the knowledges, survival skills and changed rule about NCM, will we be allowed to tweak the characters? I don't have anything major in mind.

In a nutshell:

Add limitations always direct and limited body parts to stretching -2pts (arms only, I think this better represents the gigantic arms)

Delete Eidetic memory - 5pts

AK: HiWest 13- +3pts

Survival: Wastelands +2pts (this and and the AK above represent the nomad nature)

+5 STR +5pts (giant with giant STR)

-3 REC -6pts (giants tire easy and take a while to recover)

-1 PD -1pt (just reducing to amount it is currently from boost in increased STR)

AK: Wasteplains 11- -1pt (makes all the specific AK the same since he spent about equal time in each)

+2 vs Range Mods with Atlatl +5pts (they are ranged hunters)

I am posting the revised version here, including equipment.

MAKA

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

15 CON 10 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-/13-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

10 COM 0 11-

8 PD 3 Total: 8 PD (4 rPD)

4 ED 1 Total: 4 ED (2 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

5 REC -6

30 END 0

31 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 44

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 5"/10"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Ggaru Mutations

22 1) Canine Nose: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 3) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10)

1 2) Effective Liver: Life Support (Immunity: Bad Water)

3 3) Low Light Vision: Nightvision (5 Active Points); Black and White Only (-¼), Requires Some Light (-¼)

6 4) Running on All Fours: Running +3" (9" total) 1

Other Mutations

3 1) Protective Hide: Damage Resistance (4 PD/2 ED)

6 2) Smell the Disease: Detect Disease 11-/13- (Smell/Taste Group), Analyze (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) 1

3 3) Long Arms: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼), Always Direct (-¼), Limited Body Parts (Arms only; -¼)

Talents

3 Lightsleep

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Bump Of Direction

10 Skill Master (+2 with all Skills based on INT)

Skills

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Lo Road (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) AK: Mountains (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) AK: Waste Plains (3 Active Points) 12-

1 4) CK: Seven Wells (2 Active Points) 11-

1 5) CK: Undertown (2 Active Points) 11-

Skills of a Nomad's Life

1 1) Language: Ancient (basic conversation)

3 2) Language: Amrikana (completely fluent)

1 3) Language: Trade Sign (basic conversation)

1 4) Trading 8-

2 5) Navigation (Land) 11-

4 6) Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains) 11-

4 7) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Thrown Rocks

2 8) Weaponsmith (Primitive Weapons) 11-

Shamanic Training

3 1) Forensic Medicine (Embalming) 11-

2 2) KS: Flora And Fauna 11-

2 3) KS: Herbalism And Healing-Lore 11-

3 4) Paramedics (Healing) 11-

Starfall Everyman Skills

0 1) AK: Fedrex 8-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) KS: Legends and Lore 11-

0 6) Language: Ggaru (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 7) PS: Cartography 11-

0 8) Paramedics (Healing) 8-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

0 11) Survival (Mountain) 8-

0 12) TF: Wasteland Riding Animals

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 102

Total Cost: 146

200+ Disadvantages

15 Distinctive Features: Beast (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutated Animal - Genetic Marker (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)

10 Physical Limitation: Semi Upright (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

Notes: This character can walk on two legs, but must run on all fours. His pelvis is slightly elongated from the typical butterfly shaped human pelvis. Apes and monkeys are good examples of this Disadvantage. When running on all fours, this character may not hold any objects in his hands. All such objects must be holstered, stored, or otherwise put away.

15 Physical Limitation: Giant (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)

Notes: -1 to all Interaction skills-1 to stealth rollsMust eat twice as muchCON is limited to 15 and END is limited to CON x2Prone to tire 25% earlier than others

5 Social Limitation: Outcast (Occasionally; Minor)

15 Psychological Limitation: Must Defend the Weak and Innocent (Common; Strong)

5 Dependent NPC: Magena (his twin sister) 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)

Total Disadvantage Points: 146

EQUIPMENT CARRIED

Equipment END

Atlatl: +5 STR (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only to Increase Throwing Distance (-1) 1

Javelin: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-½), STR Minimum 8 (-½), Real Weapon (-¼) (Real Cost: 11)Notes: (x5 number of items) 0

Axe, hand: (Total: 26 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (26 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6 (-½), Real Weapon (-¼), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 9) 0

Dagger: (Total: 17 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (17 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6 (-½), Real Weapon (-¼), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 6) 0

Club, Great: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 15 (-¾), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½), Real Weapon (-¼) (Real Cost: 13) 0

Backpack: Equipment 0

Bedroll: Equipment 0

Tent, canvas: Equipment 0

Rope, hemp (8"): Equipment 0

Waterskin: Equipment 0

Flint & Steel: Equipment 0

Rations (1 day): Equipment (0 Active Points)Notes: (x5 number of items) 0

Chirurgeon's tools: Equipment 0

Chirurgeon's supplies: Equipment 0

Background/History: When Ehawee and Nahimana first discovered Ehawee was pregnant, they were overjoyed. Then when they realized it was twins, their excitement grew even more. Nahimana was the shaman for the Chu’pik tribe. He went on a spirit journey in the traditional sweat lodge to see what lay ahead for his children. He emerged a changed man for he had foreseen the death of his wife and the conflicts that would arise because of his unborn children. Ehawee knew something was different as well.

Maka and Magena were born during a new moon. Maka came out and was a lot larger than the average Ggaru. Ehawee was almost too exhausted to deliver Magena. Magena was much smaller than the average Ggaru. The twins were like polar opposites. Maka had a much thicker hide but Magena had a frailer hide. True to Nahimana’s vision, Ehawee did not survive the childbirth.

Nahimana raised the twins by himself. The other females in the tribe helped some but they still were leery of Maka and Magena. Some aura surrounded them that scared the others. Nahimana would read to the twins every night from the ancient scroll. He taught them about herbs and how to use them for medicinal purposes. Another shock came when Maka and Magena spoke Tradespeak. Many in the tribe could understand it but none could actually speak it. This was a secret that Nahimana had to keep from the rest of the already frightened tribe. Both children showed an extreme aptitude to learning. They were learning as fast as he could teach them. While other Ggaru pups were just getting the handle of the basics of many skills, Maka and Magena had already mastered them.

During their fourth year, a famine spread across the plains. The Uff herds were greatly diminished. As if the tension was not bad enough between tribes competing for the remaining Uff, the Chu’pik began turning on itself. Ehawee had always been the maintainer of peace. Without her there, the tribe began tearing itself apart. Many blamed the twins as bringers of bad luck. During a visit from a trader, Maka accidently spoke to him. The news of Maka’s ability quickly spread and like fuel to the fire, the tribe took that as further proof that Maka and Magena were the reason for the famine. Their family was driven out of the tribe and became outcast of the plains.

The family wandered the plains and mountains. Nahimana began trading with many of the vendors in the cities to get whatever supplies they needed to survive. Without Altsoba there to repair and maintain their weapons, they were forced to learn that themselves. As they traveled, Maka began to display an innate talent to draw maps of any place they had been. He drew the maps as though he had an overhead view of the landscape. This ability came in handy when they could trade the maps to others in the cities heading out for Cargo.

Maka’s healer training led him to discover another talent he had, he could smell disease. It started one day when he noticed some of the humans smelled different than others. Upon investigation, he found out that they suffered from different diseases. This was another service he could trade for supplies. Tragedy struck when one day in his eleventh year, he smelled that scent on his father even before signs of the disease began to show. He searched the ancient scrolls and his knowledge of herbs and came across a possible cure. Unfortunately, some the herbs he needed were in the Great Var.

With great reluctance, he left Magena to tend to Nahimana while he journeyed to get the herbs. They had befriended a water vendor in Seven Wells and he had agreed to let them stay with him while Maka went. Maka made it to the Great Var and began his search for the ingredients. There he discovered species of plant he had never known. Unaware of the danger, he was attacked and gravely wounded. As he fought to stay alive, his last memory was of an angelic figure over him and he felt peace. When he awoke, he found himself in a temple in Fedrex. His wounds had healed and his health had returned. Nobody there knew how he had gotten there. Maka just turned up on the steps on morning badly wounded. He discovered that many months had pasted since he fell in Great Var and the time he awoke. Maka quickly went back to Seven Wells to see his father but unfortunately, Nahimana had already passed. Saddened that he was unable to save him, Maka took Magena and returned to Fedrex.

Maka figured that since they had tended his wounds without knowing who he was, they must be good folks. Now according to the rules, he must find Cargo in order the stay. But now, he must find enough for himself and Magena.

Personality/Motivation: Maka is driven by his family ties. Magena is all that remains and as his little sister, it is his responsibility to protect and provide for her. He blames his ability to speak other tongues as the reason for the family's hardships.

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Maka is a lumbering hulk compared to the average Ggaru. He dwarfs most ggaru standing at 7'3" when upright and weighing nearly twice as much as the average ggaru.

That reminds me. I made one small change when I had to rebuild my corrupted hdc file. I forgot to note it, but it should be in the file I uploaded. When I typed up an appearance for Genma, I noted him as wearing leather, and so added that as equipment. He does have PS: Leatherworking and the 2 DEF on the arms and legs doesn't exactly make him less squishy. If it's a problem, I'll remove it. Also, I noticed I previously had the Brigandine Armor on his torso listed at 3 DEF, which was incorrect. Updated to 4 DEF, as it should have been.

After we finish the prequel and since you have fleshed out more of the knowledges, survival skills and changed rule about NCM, will we be allowed to tweak the characters? I don't have anything major in mind.

In a nutshell:

Add limitations always direct and limited body parts to stretching -2pts (arms only, I think this better represents the gigantic arms)

Delete Eidetic memory - 5pts

AK: HiWest 13- +3pts

Survival: Wastelands +2pts (this and and the AK above represent the nomad nature)

+5 STR +5pts (giant with giant STR)

-3 REC -6pts (giants tire easy and take a while to recover)

-1 PD -1pt (just reducing to amount it is currently from boost in increased STR)

AK: Wasteplains 11- -1pt (makes all the specific AK the same since he spent about equal time in each)

+2 vs Range Mods with Atlatl +5pts (they are ranged hunters)

Everyone has an opportunity to make final tweaks before the main adventure starts. If you have any changes (including spending XP from the prequel), now's the time.

I'm concerned about the 25 STR. Unlike Venus, you use weapons and a 25 STR would give you an 8d6N attack with the greatclub. I am willing to sign off on a 23 STR, which is slightly lower damage but leaves the figured characteristics the same. Give it a few adventures at 23, and I'll take another look at allowing a 25. I just want time for a full appraisal...and a chance to see what happens when the dice roller isn't plotting against you. ;)

At a first glance, I don't see a problem with anything else on your list. Feel free to make the adjustments.

Question on KS. I currently have KS: Flora and Fauna. Should that be broken apart or would that just apply to 'normal' animals and plants? And if so, what kinds of KS would there be about plants and animals? KS: Weeds, KS: Beasts? I know Zac posted about KS: Cinder so I would guess that each creature can be its own skill but for a more broad class.

23 STR is fine. Increasing lifting capacity which I was looking for more than damage. I added scholar since he is going to be picking up more KSs. It makes sense since he was sone of tribe shaman. Here is the final revised version. If you give the ok, I will load it on Herocentral. I left off the background info stuff since that is not changing but it is in the file.

MAKA

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

23 STR 13 14- Lift 606.3kg; 4 ½d6 [2]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

15 CON 10 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-/13-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

10 COM 0 11-

8 PD 3 Total: 8 PD (4 rPD)

4 ED 1 Total: 4 ED (2 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

5 REC -6

30 END 0

30 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 42

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Ggaru Mutations

22 1) Canine Nose: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Normal Smell (Real Cost: 3) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group (Real Cost: 10)

1 2) Effective Liver: Life Support (Immunity: Bad Water)

3 3) Low Light Vision: Nightvision (5 Active Points); Black and White Only (-¼), Requires Some Light (-¼)

6 4) Running on All Fours: Running +3" (9" total) 1

Other Mutations

3 1) Protective Hide: Damage Resistance (4 PD/2 ED)

6 2) Smell the Disease: Detect Disease 11-/13- (Smell/Taste Group), Analyze (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) 1

3 3) Long Arms: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼), Always Direct (-¼), Limited Body Parts (Arms only; -¼)

Talents

3 Lightsleep

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Bump Of Direction

10 Skill Master (+2 with all Skills based on INT)

Skills

3 Traveler

2 1) AK: HiWest (3 Active Points) 12-

1 2) AK: Lo Road (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) AK: Mountains (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) AK: Waste Plains (2 Active Points) 11-

1 5) CK: Seven Wells (2 Active Points) 11-

1 6) CK: Undertown (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Beasts (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) KS: Cinders (GM discount) (2 Active Points) 12-

1 3) KS: Flora And Fauna (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Herbalism And Healing-Lore (2 Active Points) 11-

0 5) KS: Legends and Lore 11-

1 6) KS: Weeds (2 Active Points) 11-

Skills of a Nomad's Life

1 1) Language: Ancient (basic conversation)

3 2) Language: Amrikana (completely fluent)

1 3) Language: Trade Sign (basic conversation)

1 4) Trading 8-

2 5) Navigation (Land) 11-

6 6) Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Forests, Temperate/Subtropical Plains, Wasteland) 11-

4 7) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Atatl, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Thrown Rocks

2 8) Weaponsmith (Primitive Weapons) 11-

Shamanic Training

3 1) Forensic Medicine (Embalming) 11-

3 2) Paramedics (Healing) 11-

Starfall Everyman Skills

0 1) AK: Fedrex 8-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) Language: Ggaru (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 6) PS: Cartography 11-

0 7) Paramedics (Healing) 8-

0 8) Shadowing 8-

0 9) Stealth 8-

0 10) Survival (Mountain) 8-

0 11) TF: Wasteland Riding Animals

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 109

Total Cost: 151

75+ Disadvantages

15 Distinctive Features: Beast (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutated Animal - Genetic Marker (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)

10 Physical Limitation: Semi Upright (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

Notes: This character can walk on two legs, but must run on all fours. His pelvis is slightly elongated from the typical butterfly shaped human pelvis. Apes and monkeys are good examples of this Disadvantage. When running on all fours, this character may not hold any objects in his hands. All such objects must be holstered, stored, or otherwise put away.

15 Physical Limitation: Giant (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)

Notes: -1 to all Interaction skills-1 to stealth rollsMust eat twice as muchCON is limited to 15 and END is limited to CON x2Prone to tire 25% earlier than others

5 Social Limitation: Outcast (Occasionally; Minor)

15 Psychological Limitation: Must Defend the Weak and Innocent (Common; Strong)

5 Dependent NPC: Magena (his twin sister) 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)

1 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 151

EQUIPMENT CARRIED

Equipment END

Gear

1) Backpack: Equipment 0

2) Bedroll: Equipment 0

3) Chirurgeon's supplies: Equipment 0

4) Chirurgeon's tools: Equipment 0

5) Flint & Steel: Equipment 0

6) Rations (1 day): Equipment (0 Active Points)Notes: (x10 number of items) 0

7) Rope, hemp (8"): Equipment (0 Active Points)Notes: (x4 number of items) 0

8) Tent, canvas: Equipment 0

9) Waterskin: Equipment 0

Weapons

1) Atlatl: +5 STR (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only to Increase Throwing Distance (-1) 1

2) Axe, hand: (Total: 26 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 ½d6 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (26 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6 (-½), Real Weapon (-¼), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 9) 0

3) Club, Great: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 15 (-¾), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½), Real Weapon (-¼) (Real Cost: 13) 0

4) Dagger: (Total: 17 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (17 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6 (-½), Real Weapon (-¼), Required Hands One-Handed (-0) (Real Cost: 6) 0

5) Javelin: (Total: 35 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-½), STR Minimum 8 (-½), Real Weapon (-¼) (Real Cost: 11)Notes: (x10 number of items)

Question on KS. I currently have KS: Flora and Fauna. Should that be broken apart or would that just apply to 'normal' animals and plants? And if so' date=' what kinds of KS would there be about plants and animals? KS: Weeds, KS: Beasts? I know Zac posted about KS: Cinder so I would guess that each creature can be its own skill but for a more broad class.[/quote']

Flora and Fauna applies to normal and mutated plants, since they are all part of the world. It is your choice on whether to break them apart. The more specific the category, the more you can get with a successful roll. KS: Everything 11- will tell you "It's a rock", even on a roll of 3, while KS: Geology 11- will tell you a LOT of information about that rock with the same roll. :)

So, you could do Flora and Fauna, or Flora, or Fauna, or Mutated Flora and Fauna, or any other variant, and what you'll get with a successful roll will depend on how specific you make the skill. Choose a specific skill, like "Cinders", and you'll get general information without even having to roll.

Game In Progress

The game has now formally started. We're no longer actively seeking applications, though people are still welcome to pitch ideas. We've left a way open for people to join the group - the current PCs have started the quest for Cargo early, so any characters added later would be from the second group to set out from Fedrex.

Those interested in seeing what has happened so far can find the campaign at the following URL:

http://www.herocentral.net/storyBoard.htm?campaignId=939567

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Game In Progress

I have been thrilled reading the story so far and am looking to run something similar for my local group. Reading it gave me a fantastic idea for a character but I am betting that at this point it is too late to get into the game? Also I have no expereince with the whole Hero Central and would have a learning curve there. It might take me a few days to do that and put together the character. My question is, would my drawbacks (lateness and inexpereince) be undesirable enough to keep me from playing? I will completely understand if that is the case and will just continue reading along as things happen and completely enjoying the story. However, if not, I would very much like to join such a fantastic group of role plyers as this game seems to have both running and playing in it.