Guns, guns, and more guns

薔薇語

So I'm trying to figure out a new way to handle individuals with a variety of guns as his shtick. Typically, I would likely build this as an MP with each gun or gun-ammo combo taking up a slot. Maybe even doing a VPP if I was going to go for a vary wide range. But and idea hit me while trying to write up such a character for KillerShrike's new "Here There Be Monsters" thread.

Why not just start off with a single RKA with a basic focus limitation and a "varying special effect" advantage. Keep it out of a any power frameworks. Then buy an MP with a charges limitations (x number of charges and y number of clips). Inside the MP place a variety of Naked Advantages: AP, Pen, AoE, IPE, etc. The Naked advantages apply to the base RKA outside the MP. You can stylistically apply each clip to a single slot (if you have more clips than slots, double up).

Strength: Easy of finding things. Damage is consistent and listed at the top. Your specific choice for a specific shot is listed by ammo type. Easy to track (place boxes by the MP slot to represent the clips and charges / clip).

Weakness: off hand I think it would cost more. Damage variety would be hard to account for. Mechanically, this best accounts for ammo switches, not weapon changes.

Any ideas on this? Has someone thought of this before? Maybe it is because it is quite late, and all things look good late at night (early morning), but this seems nice to me.

La Rose.

Re: Guns, guns, and more guns

Why not just start off with a single RKA with a basic focus limitation and a "varying special effect" advantage. Keep it out of a any power frameworks. Then buy an MP with a charges limitations (x number of charges and y number of clips). Inside the MP place a variety of Naked Advantages: AP, Pen, AoE, IPE, etc. The Naked advantages apply to the base RKA outside the MP. You can stylistically apply each clip to a single slot (if you have more clips than slots, double up).

Naked Advantages are considered to be Special Powers, which can't be placed in Power Frameworks without GM permission.

Hmm. So what advantage does he get with this variety of guns and how easy is it for him to change between them? It seems to me to lean a bit more towards VPP than MP or variably advantaged RKA but that might change depending on the answers to those questions...

Are you limiting the character to real weapons or will you have Green Arrow style trick attacks? That changes things too (though from reading your post I am presuming straight killing attack based weapons).

Doc

I see this as being a straight multipower. The multipower reserve defines the upper power limit of the gun itself and each slot defines the type of bullets being fired. It is perfectly reasonable to fire either 2d6 armor piercing bullets from one clip, or 2d6: +1 stun multiple bullets from a different clip.

One thing to realize however, specifically about Killer Shirke's campaign, is that the equipment pool and the professional pool, are in fact 'pools'. If you define a gun and put it in a pool, you may, even during an adventure if you have sufficient cause, put that gun back in the closet and carry around a different gun. The only stipulation is that you could not carry both guns at once.

In the Killroy character example, the character has paid for two guns, as he does not want to be unarmed if for some reason he 'looses' his main weapon. But carrying two 'rifles' is hard to justify without bags of holding or carrying them out in the open slung on the character's back. Instead Kilroy paid for his primary weapon out of his professional pool, as it is not a weapon ordinary people might easily procure or carry about and then he also bought a 'very' large revolver of the sort that would make Dirty Harry drool with envy, and bought that with his equipment pool. The revolver did not cost a lot of 'points' due to being in the equipment pool, and Killroy has a decent fallback weapon. (The justification for that revolver being in the equipment pool is that in the real world, a person with a standard concealed carry permit really could buy and carry this gun.)