Help finding a Demon

Bengalelf

Does anyone know where I can get a write up of a good demon? I have used the one from the bestairy a few times. I am looking for something different. Something that could challenge the average party, but will not be too overwhelming if there are six of them. I only need one writ eup. I plan to have the six all have the same stats.

Re: Help finding a Demon

Why not just get them out of The Algernon Files?

The Hell's Belles in Superline #5 are a different group than the Helle's Belles in the Algernon Files. Here's a link to the cover, which shows the Belles.

This was a group of 6 PL12 villains, so fairly powerful in M&M terms, and designed for a superhero campaign. I assume that's what Bengalelf is going for.

Digital Hero #16 contains a 533-point succubus called Crucible. Good Characteristics (epic normal level - think Captain America), a 60-point MP of Demonic Powers (Hellfire, Mind Control, etc), Batwing Flight, Multipower of Spiked Gloves, Damage Reduction. Never ran her in a game, but I would think six of these would be too powerful (but could probably be modified to a more reasonable level) for a group of starting heroes. At one point Crucible's stats were posted as a free preview to the issue. I can't find that on the HERO website anymore, and I don't know whether Digital Hero issues are still available for purchase (or if so, how - maybe someone better connected could chime in).

The Hell's Belles in Superline #5 are a different group than the Helle's Belles in the Algernon Files. Here's a link to the cover, which shows the Belles.

This was a group of 6 PL12 villains, so fairly powerful in M&M terms, and designed for a superhero campaign. I assume that's what Bengalelf is going for.

Ah, thank you for clarifying that, name_tamer. :yes:

Digital Hero #16 contains a 533-point succubus called Crucible. Good Characteristics (epic normal level - think Captain America)' date=' a 60-point MP of Demonic Powers (Hellfire, Mind Control, etc), Batwing Flight, Multipower of Spiked Gloves, Damage Reduction. Never ran her in a game, but I would think six of these would be too powerful (but could probably be modified to a more reasonable level) for a group of starting heroes. At one point Crucible's stats were posted as a free preview to the issue. I can't find that on the HERO website anymore, and I don't know whether Digital Hero issues are still available for purchase (or if so, how - maybe someone better connected could chime in).[/quote']

Digital Hero is indeed still available for purchase. This forum thread gives you all the necessary information.

I believe I can retrieve the free sample for Crucible, but the website containing it is "experiencing technical difficulties" at the time I write this. I'll post again when I can get to it.

Thank you Name_Tamer. Yes those are the correct villains. Digtial Hero 16 you say? That is more what I am looking for. Thanks a millions

Thanks a millions

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Here is a link to the writeup, courtesy of the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Because the Machine has been a bit glitchy, here is the writeup itself in plain text:

CRUCIBLE by W. Jason Allen

Background/History: Thanks to natural talent and her father's financial support, it only took Felicity Larkin a couple of years to become known for her fine jewelry. Her attention to detail and exquisite craftsmanship made her pieces highly desirable amongst the wealthy. She worked hard to produce as much as she could, refusing to bow to popular consumerism and allow mass production of her designs. This kept her pieces rare, in demand, and highly valuable. Her financial future seemed secure.

Occasionally, Felicity would accept custom commissions. One of her regular customers, a well-to-do business man from Vibora Bay, brought an old family heirloom to be reworked with new gold, as the original gold workings were tarnished and of poor aesthetic design. The piece appeared to be a large opal, bound with interlocking bands of a dark, almost copper-colored gold. What was unusual about the bands was the engravings on them. They looked like flowing scrollwork, but the lines were broken up at odd intervals, making for a very strange pattern. Felicity could see why her customer wanted the gold removed and redone; the bands were not pretty at all.

As Felicity attempted to heat the gold enough to remove the bands, using a solder so as to not damage the opal, an odd feeling passed over her, like the creepy feeling one gets when standing in a graveyard at night. She shrugged it off and continued working. The gold wasn't melting at the proper temperature, so she increased the heat. The first gold band parted - and exploded.

Felicity was thrown back into the wall, dazed. When she managed to clear her head, she realized her workshop was all but ruined. Surprised to find herself alive, she wondered what had caused such an explosion. Then she saw it. Where the opal had been was now a small vortex of energy, swirling silently in mid-air. A dark, shadowy form hovered on the other side of the room, apparently disoriented and confused. Felicity began to flee the room in fear, but it was too late. Two tendrils of energy lashed out from the vortex to strike both Felicity and the shadow. Felicity screamed, and passed out.

When she awoke, the Felicity that had been was no more. She knew now that the opal had not been bound with gold, but with orichalcum, a rare and magical metal. The opal was an ancient device once used to bind humans with creatures from the Netherworld. Of Felicity and the shadow creature, it had made a creature filled with the desire to corrupt and destroy the innocent, with several demonic powers. Their minds were now one, and completely given to darkness. Calling herself Crucible, she began her nightly reign of terror.

Personality/Motivation: Where Felicity was once kind, if vain and aristocratic, she is now cruel and sadistic. She conceals her personality change, but it is becoming more difficult with time. Her mind and body have been merged with a dark spirit from the Netherworld, turning her into a creature similar to a succubus. Crucible thrills in corrupting people, whether by directly controlling them or by manipulating them into doing what she wants. She feeds on their pain and internal conflict. Then when she has tired of them, she feeds on their life force.

Crucible thinks nothing of causing pain to others for her own amusement. She will play practical jokes of the most horrid kind, just to watch people cringe. Why not? Humanity is not worthy of consideration. They are weak, pathetic creatures with no reason to be alive other than to amuse her. But, when someone stands up to defend themselves or others against her, she strikes swiftly and without mercy, draining their life away and tossing them aside like garbage.

Crucible is cold and condescending, certain of her superiority and success. Her ultimate goal is the fulfillment of her every whim and pleasure, both physical and emotional.

Quote: "Come here, darling, I have something to show you...."

Powers/Tactics: The merging granted Crucible several demonic powers, some of which simulate the powers of a succubus. Bat-like wings allow her to fly. She can become a cloud of mist, slipping into the tightest of secured areas. Her touch drains away life essence and she can throw a lance of flame. Screaming souls from the Netherworld obey her will, flying about a target to prevent movement. With a sword of spectral flame she can severely injure even intangible targets. She can even take control of a person's mind and manipulate them directly.

Crucible prefers to attack from surprise or ambush, but will fight in the open if there is no other choice. She preys on those who think highly of themselves, such as the rich or powerful, but will gladly victimize anyone. Her most favored targets are flashy, well-known superheroes.

Crucible's powers and enhanced characteristics only apply in her demonic form. However, as there's no way to prevent her from changing forms shorts of keeping her unconscious, she does not take Only In Heroic Identity for her powers.

There are two serious limitation to Crucible's abilities. First, she must consume at least one life (i.e., drain BODY until death) per week or her own life force will begin to slowly and painfully fade away. Second, any sort of holy aura will repulse her like an impenetrable force wall. The most common holy aura is that of land and buildings consecrated to goodness. This is not restricted to lands consecrated by Christianity, Judaism, or Islam, but includes any religion that consecrates an area with the intentions of protection and peace. She is also repulsed by auras of the faithful. If a good person of strong faith (i.e., the person has a Psychological Limitation to represent their faith) presents an icon of their faith and rebukes her, Crucible and the other person both make an Ego roll, with Crucible's at a -5 penalty (because of the limitation). If Crucible wins, she can act normally against the person. If the person wins, Crucible cannot physically touch the person, with her hands or hand-to-hand attacks. She can still use ranged attacks against the person, but with a -5 OCV penalty.

Campaign Use: Crucible is a consummate seductress, frightening yet irresistible. As Felicity, she could easily be known to heroes who are wealthy or to mages who have others make their foci. She maintains a fairly brisk jewelry business. Despite the wealth of the jewelry business, Crucible has been known to rob banks and jewelry stores, either for extra cash or to bait a trap for a gullible hero she wants to torment or seduce.

Crucible is most useful as a random element in an otherwise solid scenario. She might happen to be after the witness the heroes are trying to find, or latches onto a convenient DNPC. One of her favorite pastimes is trolling for victims. There's not a section of town she hasn't wandered, trying to bait someone into assaulting or propositioning her. She usually does this in Crucible form with an overcoat and hat to hide her more obvious demonic features.

DEMON has become aware of Crucible and monitors her activities, hoping to learn the nature and origin of her powers in hopes of duplicating the effect. They do not yet know her Secret Identity, but do know she maintains one. The Police, of course, want her for several counts of assault and murder, amongst other charges.

Crucible is becoming more evil as time goes by, and holds a grudge forever. Anyone who spurns her 'affections' or prevents her from playing her games or feeding on life force will earn her enmity. She will play vicious pranks and practical jokes to annoy her target, and when that doesn't work or her victim fights back, she'll get brutal. People die horribly when she gets brutal....

To increase her power level, boost her Dexterity and Speed, give her Sight Group Flash Defense, add more points to the Multipower reserve, and put a Major Transform (human into willing slave) in the Multipower. You might also add a Summon Demon ability. To lower her power, drop the Multipower's point reserve, lower her Dexterity and/or Speed, and reduce her Defenses some (Armor, Mental Defense, and Power Defense).

Appearance: Felicity's long auburn hair, green eyes, and impressive figure have attracted many would-be boyfriends, and she has gone through several after her merging. She wears designer clothing and maintains her appearance meticulously.

One might think that Crucible's bat wings, short curved horns, and ridged tail would make her decidedly unattractive, but the opposite is true. Her jet black hair, opalescent skin and red eyes also mark her demonic nature, but many still find her unbearably appealing - until they get to know her better. She wears revealing, lingerie-like costumes and has several different designs.

CRUCIBLE

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

30 STR 20 15- Lift 1600 kg; 6d6 HTH

26 DEX 48 14- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

30 CON 40 15-

15 BODY 10 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll: 13-

21 EGO 22 13- ECV: 7

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

20 COM 5 13-

18 PD 12 Total: 18 PD (12 rPD)

16 ED 10 Total: 16 ED (10 rED)

6 SPD 24 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

12 REC 0

60 END 0

45 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 209

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 6"/12"

Flight: 15"/30"

Cost Powers END

60 Demonic Powers: Multipower, 60-point Reserve 0

6u 1) Hellfire Lance: EB 12d6 6

6u 2) Hellfire Sword: HKA 2d6 (3d6 with STR), Affects Desolidified (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) 6

6u 3) Essence Drain: Drain Characteristic 4d6, Variable Effect (any one Primary Characteristic; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) 2

6u 4) Screaming Souls: Entangle 3d6, 5 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4) 6

6u 5) Seduce: Mind Control 12d6 6

6u 6) Mist Form: Desolidification (affected by magic), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) 0

20 Steel-Toe Stiletto Boots and Spurs: Multipower, 30-point Reserve, all slots OIF (-1/2) 0

2u 1) Steel-Toe Spikes: HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2) 0

2u 2) Spurs: HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2) 0

15 Spiked Gloves: HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Hand-to-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

11 Deceptively Silky Skin: Damage Resistance (12 PD/10 ED) 0

60 Demonic Toughness: 50% Physical and Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant 0

10 Demonic Will: Mental Defense 14 0

10 Demonic Form: Power Defense 10 0

30 Bat Wings: Flight 15", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) 1

5 Demonic Eyes: Nightvision 0

Perks

5 Money: Well Off

Skills

6 +2 with Demonic Powers Multipower

2 AK: Lower Planes 11-

3 Breakfall 14-

2 CK: Campaign City 11-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 High Society 13-

3 KS: Gemstones and Precious Metals 13-

3 KS: Jewelry 13-

2 KS: Supernatural World 11-

4 Language: Demon Speech (native accent)

3 Persuasion 13-

3 PS: Artist 13-

3 PS: Jeweler 13-

3 Seduction 13-

3 SS: Gemology 13-

3 SS: Metallurgy 13-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 324

Total Cost: 533

200+ Disadvantages

0 Dependence: Must Consume One Human Life per Week or Suffer 3d6 STUN Damage (Very Common)

10 Distinctive Feature: Mystic Aura (Not Concealable; Always Noticed; Unusual Senses)

20 Enraged: Advances Spurned (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 11-

15 Hunted: Police 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Area, Imprison)

10 Hunted: DEMON 11- (Mo Pow, Watching)

15 Physical Limitation: Repelled by Holy Auras (Infrequent, Fully)

15 Psychological Limitation: Corrupts the Innocent (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Prankster (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Regards Humanity as Cattle (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)

10 Vulnerability: 2x Effect from Holy Magic (Uncommon)

188 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 533

[Edited to put lengthy post behind spoiler tag.]

Good job, n-t. You're right, the Wayback Machine was giving me trouble, too, so putting the text here is a smart move. :thumbup:

It would be easy to adjust this writeup for a larger number of less-powerful demons just by removing a few of Crucible's powers. In fact, Bengalelf, I know you planned to use the same stats for all six demons; but wouldn't it be more interesting if each of them had one of Crucible's special attacks?

Yes, it would be more interesting if each demon had their own power. The first step was to find a usable demon, After I adjust her to suit my needs, I will work on making each of the six different.

Wouldn't it be nice if Champions wrote modules for us? That way I wouldn't have to 'borrow' M&M stuff

choose a negative motivation or emotion

then determine the powers the demon might gain

the demon of confusion

6d6 intelligence suppress explosion extend radius self immune

teleport change position usable against others ranged

disguise, acting, mimicry

stretching

invisibility

presence 30

speed 12 11- roll for each segment

that would be the main dude