Blue Stuff Battery

Hello all,

I am trying to design an END Reserve called a 'Blue Stuff Battery'. The 'Battery' is a reservoir of a chemical called 'Blue Stuff' that is contained within the body of a character. The Blue Stuff is used up whenever the character uses one of their powers.

To recharge the 'Battery', the character must receive an injection of Blue Stuff. Each Injection REC 5 pts of END.

This is what I have thus far, but it doesn't seem "right" to me.

Blue Stuff Battery: Endurance Reserve (30 END, 5 REC) Reserve: (12 Active Points); REC: (4 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), IIF (Blue Stuff; -1/4)

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Blue Stuff Battery

He only needs the injection to refill the END Reserve, so how often, depends entirely on often he wishes to recover the expended END.

The number of shots he has access to a day depends entirely on his benefactor, or any he is able to purchase/steal/acquire. He cannot make his own.

The problem with that is I'll have way too many Aids in the character builds. The "mutant Powers" that are drawing from the Blue Stuff Battery is an Aid.

I think adding a 1 charge IIF to the END Reserve's REC is going to be the best bet, or possibly an OAF.

Why not just use the Limited Recovery limitation? You'll have to come up with your own value based on how easily accessible this substance is. Assign the END Reserve a Rec of 5 with Limited Recovery (Only with access to Blue Stuff) -X

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I might assign this limitation a slightly higher-than-normal value. After all, a value of -2 is noted to be the norm for this limitation, but given that the Rec might only trigger once or twice at a time depending on the Blue Stuff's rarity, a higher value might be justified.

Then how about AID (only recover to normal maxium) to END 1D6 Standard Effect with charges useing an END Reserve with END Only/No REC

I'm actually revisiting this option here. I would build the END Reserve as so:

Blue Stuff Battery: Endurance Reserve (30 END, 0 REC)

Then the Blue Stuff Injections would be built as "equipment" as so:

Blue Stuff Injection: Aid Blue Stuff Battery 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Year; +3 1/4) (57 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4), OAF (Syringe; -1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Gestures (Must Inject Target; -1/4)

I was going to ask if any medical expertise was necessary for the injection (i.e., injecting it into the spinal column etc.) but it seems you just need to inject this into an arm, leg, etc.

In that case, I suspect some paranoid individuals might want to have it ready for injection at all times, having an autoinjector strapped to the ankle or so (Trigger: Hit Autoinjector (+1/4), IIF Autoinjector (-1/4) instead of a syringe (OAF, Extra Time, Gestures). Besides, a syringe might be Fragile, risking the valuable stuff. Some other individuals might keep the syringe locked up in a bank deposit box until needed (no OAF or Gestures but Extra Time: Hour or more).

Interesting idea. Would it be possible to hoard up on Blue Stuff (get extra Clips of single Charges)?

It would be possible to hoard it, but right now the PC's aren't even aware of it. It's for a weird west/post apoc setting with steampunk style anachronisms...heh

All mutants have a list of "mutant Powers" bought at the minimum level possible. These represent the mutant powers at their natural state.

Each mutant has a mystical device that acts as an Enhancer (a set of gloves, a mask/helmet, etc.). The Enhancer is bought as a 5d6 Aid to Mutant Powers but draws it's power from the "Blue Stuff Battery".

The battery is really just a measure of the alchemical liquid in their bloodstream.

Only Mad Scientists and Voodoo Priests know how to make the stuff (players cannot be either) and powerful men tend to try and have a pet scientist or voodoo adviser around to bribe mutants to work for them. In this case, the Mayor's Mad Scientist found a stash of mutants (the PC's) and is waking them up to the Mayor defend his town from the Eaters that prowl the wasteland. The PC's wake up with no recollection of where they are (i.e. no KS's, PS's, SS's, etc.) but they know they are mutants and that they are a trained team. The Mad Scientist will explain about the Blue Stuff Injections in-game.

as for using Aid - remember - Aid fades' date=' even when applied to END or STUN[/quote']

I don't have 6E yet. Does it not have the Limit on AID of only to return to normal levels anymore. That version doesn't fade in 5th. Or does HEALING in 6E take care of this?

I've been thinking about this one a bit. Looking through my recently-acquired 6E rulebooks, my first impulse was to buy an END Reserve with no REC and then define each injection as Healing going towards the Reserve; but then I realized I was probably overthinking it.

Right now, I'd build this as simply an END Reserve with Limited Recovery along the lines of "REC only works for one minute (5 turns) after each Blue Stuff injection" (as the character's body takes a few moments to absorb the recharge). The default -2 sounds about right for that limitation on REC to me, but your campaign may vary.

Is there a reason this isn't just REC 5 on the END Reserve with the Limitation "Only when injected with Blue Stuff"?

This. The other builds are way too complex and give really strange results: why are we even considering Aid, simply to refill an END reserve?

To me this looks like an END reserve with 5 REC - said REC having the limitation 1 charge, recoverable, IAF, Expendable focus, very difficult to obtain: "Blue Stuff". If you find a big ol' bottle o' Blue stuff (not very likely, by the sound of it), you can inject multiple doses and and top up your reserve. If you get 1 dose, you can add 5 END. You don't need to worry about fade rates or anything complex - just how many doses are to hand.

cheers, Mark

Of course, you also need to worry about annoying Blue Stuff vampires. If you design your game around this concept, some pc is going to want to be that guy. And be prepared for purple kool-aid jokes as well.

I also dislike the amnesiac pc's, the vaguely mysterious uber powerful benefactor, and mutants.

Call me negative man.