Miss Fortune (5th Ed)

Marcus Impudite

Nearly finished this one, she just needs some bits of fluff text filled in (taking suggests specifically in that area).

MISS FORTUNE

[font=Calibri][b]Val       Char      Pts     Roll      Notes[/b][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        STR        0       11-       Lift: 100 Kg; 2d6 [1][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20        DEX     30       13-       OCV: 7  /DCV: 7[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20        CON     20       13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        BODY    0       11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        INT        5       12-       PER roll: 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        EGO       0       11-       ECV: 3[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        PRE        5       12-       PRE Attack: 3d6[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]18        COM      4       13-[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]6          PD          4                   Total: 18 PD (12 r PD)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]6          ED          2                   Total: 18 ED (12 r ED)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]5          SPD      20                   Phases: 3, 5, 7, 10, 12[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]6          REC        0[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]60        END     10[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]30        STUN     5[/font][font=Calibri]       [b]Total Characteristics Cost: 105[/b][/font]

[font=Calibri][b]Movement:[/b]    [/font][font=Times New Roman]Running:         7”/14”[/font]

[font=Calibri][b]Cost     Powers                                                                                                                                      [/b]                       [b]END[/b][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]75        [b][i][color=yellow]Misfortune Powers:[/color][/i][/b] Multipower, 75-point reserve[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]5u        1) [i][b][color=yellow]Tough Luck:[/color][/b][/i] Major Transform 5d6 (person into person with Unluck 3d6, [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]            healed by a reverse application of this or a similar power); Limited Target (humans; -½)                                  7[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]7u        2) [i][b][color=yellow]Aw, Your Little Toy Broke:[/color][/b][/i] Dispel Technological Powers 20d6, Any Device one at a time (+¼)                  7[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]7u        3) [i][b][color=yellow]Watch Out For That Piano:[/color][/b][/i] EB 12d6, Indirect (object always falls on the target from above; +¼)              7[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]25        [i][b][color=yellow]Minor Improbabilities:[/color][/b][/i] Variable Power Pool (Luck Pool), 20 Base + 10 Control; Cannot Control[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]           When Or How Powers Change (see text; -1)                                                                                                      var[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]5          [i][b][color=yellow]Sexy Burglar Costume:[/color][/b][/i] +20 PRE; OIF (-½), Only To Make Friendly/Seductive Presence Attacks[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]            Solely For Purposes Of Making The Target Delay His Actions (-1), Only Versus Targets Of[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]            Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1), Only Works Once Per Target Per Scene (-½)                                  [/font][font=Times New Roman]          0[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]2          [i][b][color=yellow]Quick Little Minx:[/color][/b][/i] Running +1” (7" total)                                                                                                          1[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]40        [i][b][color=yellow]Super Lucky:[/color][/b][/i] Luck 8d6                                                                                                                                         0[/font]

[b][font=Calibri]            Perks[/font][/b]
[font=Times New Roman]2          Contact: Local Fence 11-[/font]

[b][font=Calibri]            Talents[/font][/b]
[font=Times New Roman]24        Combat Luck (12 PD/12 ED)[/font]

[b][font=Calibri]            Skills[/font][/b]
[font=Times New Roman]15        [color=yellow][i][b]Ha, Ha, Missed Me:[/b][/i][/color] +3 DCV[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]6          +2 with Misfortune Powers Multipower[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]3          Acrobatics 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Breakfall 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Climbing 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Concealment 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          KS: Gems & Jewelry 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Lockpicking 13-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Security Systems 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Seduction 12-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]7          Stealth 15-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]3          Streetwise 12-[/font]

[b][font=Calibri]Total Powers & Skills Cost: 245[/font][/b]
[b][font=Calibri]Total Cost: 350[/font][/b]

[b][font=Calibri]200+   Disadvantages[/font][/b]
[font=Times New Roman]20        DNPCs: Murphy & Leslie Fortunes 8- (her aging parents) (Normal, Unaware of her Secret [/font][font=Times New Roman]ID/career as a criminal, x2)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20        Hunted: various law enforcement agencies 8- (More Powerful, NCI, Capture)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20        Hunted: The Mafia 8- (More Powerful, NCI, Kill)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]20        Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Total)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        Psychological Limitation: Greedy (Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        Psychological Limitation: Thrillseeker (Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]10        Reputation: Thief 11-[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Melissa “Missy” Fortunes) (Frequently, Major)[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]15        Mystery Disadvantage(s) (unknown at this time, most likely related to the source of her powers)[/font]

[font=Calibri][b]Total Disadvantages: 350[/b][/font]

Background:

Personality/Motivations: Missy's motivations for her criminal activities as Miss Fortune are fairly straight-forward: she's in it for person gain and thrills. She wants money, jewelry, and luxuries; and lots of them, which is why she's very ambitious when comes to the hiests she pulls. She also likes the adrinaline rush, the neurochemical "bang" she gets from breaking the law, having brushes with the authorities and other antagonists, and managing to get away with it all; to her, it's almost orgasmic. The one moral line she draws is hurting or killing people, that's just not in her nature and she'll never knowing be a party to such.

Quote: “Your misfortunes are my windfalls.”

Powers/Tactics: Miss Fortune is a probability manipulator who primarily uses her powers to inflict misfortunes upon anyone who meddles in her criminal activities or otherwise antagonizes her. She can curse someone with bad luck, cause important pieces of their equipment to malfunction and/or break, and even cause heavy objects to fall on them (as a rule though, she reserves this later mode of attack for someone she believes can take the hit without being seriously hurt or killed). There are also some aspects of her powers she doesn’t fully understand or control; minor “improbabilities” that seem to come and go with no rhyme or reason that she or anyone else can comprehend. The GM decides when the powers in this VPP change, though in the interest of fairness it is suggested that he work out a system by which the powers are selected at random for this pool. A good way to do this would be to write-up some suitable powers, each on its own index card (with game mechanics and a brief description), fold them up and randomly draw them from a hat or a fishbowl as needed.

Miss Fortune is not much of a fighter and she knows it. As such, she's more apt to run for it, especially if it's clear she's out matched. If cornered, she'll use her powers to the extent she can without killing or maiming someone and rely on her Luck to provide her an opportunity to escape.

Miss Fortune has 15-points worth of Mystery Disadvantage indicated on her sheet. The GM should feel free to choose anything he considers appropriate, though a Disadvantage that has some connection to the source/origin of her powers would be best. She could have an aura about her that makes the true natural of her abilities obvious to those who have the requisite Enhanced Senses (Distinctive Features), or she may have racked up a "Karmic Debt" with the way she uses them (some dice of Unluck), or there may even be some mysterious organization out there that has some interest in her (a Hunted who's just Watching her).

Campaign Use: If you need Miss Fortune to be more of a serious threat than she is as written, you can increase her Multipower's reserve, increase the power of each slot proportionally, and maybe add some more slots (The UNTIL Superpowers Database volumes I & II are a good source of ideas for that). You could also add some con artist skills to her sheet (Acting, Conversation, and Persuasion) and maybe give her a weapon of some sort (nothing too lethal though, keep her Code Against Killing in mind.) To make her less powerful, downgrade her Multipower to 60 Active and maybe take away the VPP.

As a rule, Miss Fortune doesn't actively Hunt anyone. If she's feeling particularly vindictive in the wake of a humilating defeat or what not, she'll simply wait until the next time she encounters the offending party and put that much more of an effort into hosing them with her Tough Luck power.

Appearance: Miss Fortune is a tall, slender young woman in her early 20s with long curly red hair and green eyes. Her costume consists of a skintight black spandex body stocking with a low-cut v-neck, dark purple boots, gloves, belt, and a domino mask to hide her identity.

Re: Miss Fortune (5th Ed)

the transfer power falls just short of 20 body (the mean of 5d6 = 17.5)

Most characters have 10 body and require a 20 body transform to give unluck to

which I like as it usually won't work but sometimes will.

In some campaigns, normal body is 8,

so there she would be able to give them unluck fairly regularly

the transfer power falls just short of 20 body (the mean of 5d6 = 17.5)

Most characters have 10 body and require a 20 body transform to give unluck to

which I like as it usually won't work but sometimes will.

In some campaigns, normal body is 8,

so there she would be able to give them unluck fairly regularly

Indeed, for characters with more BODY, she'll have to hit them with it two or more times to make it stick. Luckily for her I didn't put an All Or Nothing limitation on the power. ;)

Your Defenses are WAY low.

By design. She's a burglar, not a brawler.

One attack from behind and it's all over (Combat Luck has the limit that you have to be aware of the attack).

Looking at page 87 of 5th Revised, Combat Luck is built with the limitations Luck-Based and Nonpersistent. While there is indeed a sentence in the text that says, and I quote: "In some cases Combat Luck won't apply if the character is Surprised," the operative words are, of course, in some cases. In other words, it depends on the Special Effect of the talent. In Missy's case, it's based on luck as that's what fits her concept.

You don't have Defense Maneuver, so you better hope that 8d6 Luck kicks in.

Relying on her Luck is, as I said, in concept for her. Plus a lucky draw from the hat with the Minor Improbabilities VPP (see Powers/Tactics) may also provide something helpful.

I realize you seem happy with the build, and I'll probably regret saying this, but you do realize if she does get into an unplanned fight, she'll probably go down in a phase or 2? She only has 20 DEX with no Lightning Reflexes and no Defense Maneuver. Assuming an "average" Champs game, she'll probably go last or close to it, and be sitting at a 7 DCV. An 11d6 attack will typically Stun her, which, depending on GM, may negate her Combat Luck.

I realize you seem happy with the build' date=' and I'll probably regret saying this, but you do realize if she does get into an unplanned fight, she'll probably go down in a phase or 2? She only has 20 DEX with no Lightning Reflexes and no Defense Maneuver. Assuming an "average" Champs game, she'll probably go last or close to it, and be sitting at a 7 DCV. An 11d6 attack will typically Stun her, which, depending on GM, may negate her Combat Luck.[/quote']

Under her Skills section above:

15      [i]Ha, Ha, Missed Me:[/i] +3 DCV

With that bonus, it's more like 10 DCV total. That should be enough to give anyone with less than 10 OCV some difficulty for a while. She might get spanked if someone resorts to AoE, but that's another matter.

Anyhow, still brainstorming Background, will add it to opening post when it's ready.

Under her Skills section above:

15      [i]Ha, Ha, Missed Me:[/i] +3 DCV

With that bonus, it's more like 10 DCV total. That should be enough to give anyone with less than 10 OCV some difficulty for a while. She might get spanked if someone resorts to AoE, but that's another matter.

Except she can't use her +3 DCV CSL's until her DEX 20 comes up, so Phase 12 DEX 21 and up she's at 7 DCV.