Trying to figure out how to build this

Gemphyre

I am working on a military super squad, and I have a question about how to build something.

This is for the Air Force rep, a mutant high speed flyer (among other powers).

In his high speed flight (megascaled), I want him to be able to take on other fighters in a dog fight. What I am trying to model is that he is harder to spot and to lock on to than a regular fighter because he is a human being. He does not have the size, the metal exterior, or the 1500F+ exhaust that are usually used as a basis to design most aircraft and anti-aircraft sensors.

Basically, it would a negative perception roll for most standard instruments intended to lock onto other aircraft, mostly based on IR and Radar. It would NOT affect things like missile sensors that are intended to lock on to radio SOURCES, assuming he is acting as one (communicator), or fictional sensors which lock onto mutant signatures (logically possible in a world where mutants exist, and a lot of them fly).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Trying to figure out how to build this

He should already be harder to spot than other aircraft if you are using the size modifiers for PER.

Agreed. Look at the dogfight sequence in the first Iron Man movie. Okay, Tony Stark was in tin long-johns, but the Raptor pilots had a hard time trying to hit him...

In theory, Radar RAW is not built appropriately. Radar waves detect an object by having emitted radio waves bounce off an object and return to the detecting apparatus. How large an object appears and how strong of a return depends a great deal on the size of the waves used and then the sensitivity of the detecting apparatus. An object the size of a human being would be unlikely to provide much of any (if any) return on certain types of radar. In fact, part of the whole concept behind stealth technology is reducing the returning waves to those of the approximate size of a large bird (or human being), which the detecting apparatus would then screen out (since nothing that small could be an enemy plane).

Considering all that, it would be easy to rule that Basic Radar (RAW) cannot detect objects smaller than Size 6 (I think it's 6, but however large a small plane might be). For a +5 Adder I might allow it to detect one further size down the size chart.

Further to the conversation, I should mention millimeter wave radar. These waves are so small that they can detect changes in the surface that allow the detector to tell the difference between two different craft of the same classification (eg between your Ford Mustang and your neighbour's Ford Mustang because yours has a different spoiler and a larger antenna). This level of Radar would be likely to be able to not only detect the character but to determine that is, in fact, that character and not the Human Flyer.

Missiles lock on to radio sources only if they're specifically designed to, i.e. anti-radiation missiles, which most missiles AREN'T. Otherwise, you might consider the use of 'three points of perception' -- which for your flight might be sight, mental, and radio. The 'difficult to see' part in regards to radar, however, I've always found to be tough to adjucate without going with some sort of Invisibility or Darkness when your character is themselves a radiant body...

If you really wanted to you could use the Environmental Change/Control(?) power to provide a perception negaitve to enemy aircraft only, or you could just give your character a DCV bonus against airplane combat. Not sure, without my book which would be cheaper. There is also the Darkness power to consider...

Broadsword -}--->

I think the DCV bonus against vehicular targeting is the best way to go.

Since Megascale movement is inherently Noncombat (putting both the AF guy and the fighter planes at 0 OCV and 1/2 DCV), some Defensive Penalty Skill Levels to offset the character's lost DCV would be quite useful, and not as expensive as straight DCV levels. (This is where Combat Skill Levels for OCV will come in *very* handy, too!)

Invisible to Radar and Infrared Perception with Bright Fringe, or even GM approved Very Bright Fringe (-1/2, allow PER to detect him within, say, one km), would handle the PER issue, IMO. Any assisted targeting based on those senses would, also IMO, require a PER first before it applies.

Most radars are able to detect things as small as birds (seagulls), so by default they'd have no problem detecting a human. Things have been added to the radar system to filter out small targets, this is done by a computer. So if a computer detects something bird size it decides it's not important enough to display and filters it out. Even without those filters, the computer still has to put the image together. The radar antenna emits and receives its signal and detects say a missile. The signal hits the missile again, and now the radar's computer "knows" how fast the missile is going by it's location relative to the last time it "saw" the missile. The computer then sort of takes over, just using the radar antenna to check itself every once in awhile (remember I'm talking about computers now, so every "once in awhile" is nano-seconds)

The problem this would create for a human sized object, is that the computer wouldn't know that something that small could travel that fast, so the image on the radar screen may appear to have multiple human sized objects. It wouldn't track them very well. You would have say 5 "tracks" coming in they'd travel a little way then blink out (computer took over plotted the course, showed that course to the user, checked the antenna again, realized the object wasn't there so got rid of the object).

Now all of that is probably WAY over the scope of the game, but there it is. In answer to your question though, I would say the DCV levels is the way to go.

Something else to consider about Megascale flight though, is 1"=1Km at a minimum (I'm using 5th edition, and not sure about the 6th rules so someone may have to correct me if this is no longer the case). That means you get 1 hex facing for free, after that it takes you at least 1Km to make a 60 degree turn. that means it takes 2km to turn around (assuming you haven't already used your free hex facing). I would HIGHLY recommend No Turn Mode with Megascale. Some GM's may also say that you're moving faster than your ability to see. You can't see 1km ahead of you so you may fly though buildings etc, and may want to think about Megascale sight only to safely fly or if the GM allows it, Rapid Sight.

With all the talk about computers and filters, one thing to keep in mind... are the enemy aircraft designed by someone that would have experience with flying supers? If so, then they would have probably made adjustments to the computers and filters to add the target profiles for fast flying human sized targets...

Change Environment using 5th ER

Radar Absorbant Coating: Change Environment 1" radius, -2 to Radar PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), 
Persistent (+1/2) (14 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power: Self Only Power loses about a third of its 
effectiveness (-1/2), IIF (-1/4)

Change Environment using 6E

Radar Absorbant Coating - CE (-2 to Radar PER Rolls), Persistent (+1/4), AOE (1m Surface; +1/4), Reduced 
Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (8 Active Points)

just my thoughts... hope it helps...