Would like help with a Champions game

Wolf

I saw the help that Narf got on his 'need help now' thread, and so I decided that I wanted to ask of the massive group here, for some help with a supers game that I'm running for my wife and a friend.

So I'll post what I got....

General Concept:

Mutants (everyone is a mutant who is being experimented on).

Corporation X (no I don't mean place name here, I'm going comic cheezy and naming it X).

First Game: Main characters (2 pc's and 2 NPC's) get a chance to escape from this massive torture house and go free... after that I really don't have much, but to cheeze off some of the ideas present in TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

Main Character (my wife's cha.) Darkflame.

The Mini she's going to be using She has bat-like wings, and the ability to expel "dark flame" as an EP.... it also serves to "lick her wounds" and self heals. Recently she was severely damaged (she does not know this) protecting the Monster, and now has amnesia, and can no longer remember anything... This is because the corp, once aware of her ability to heal, pushed it as far as they could, and Darkflame couldn't take the stress and pain, the torture was too much. This earned the Monster's loyalty.

I'm thinking this is how the escape attempt starts, is The Monster just looses it, and starts smashing stuff, taking Darkflame off the operating table that she's on, unconscious. She will start the game waking in His arms. Everyone else (PC #2 and Cord) will be able to escape as a result of the damage The Monster makes as he's trying to get out.

PC #2: he's based on a DC Character named Atom Smasher (I think). I haven't been given a Character yet, however he's supposed to be a brick type that has the ability to expel atomic energy in the form of enhanced punches and an energy projection... along with some form of using that as a defense... I'll put up his sheet when I get it and go through my approval process... then your critique.

NPC 1: The monster... I think I'm actually going to reduce his int, and make him more bestial in nature. he's going to have a thing for Darkflame, but can't express it in any more of a deep way than a dog can to it's owner. Brick, just huge, and strong. (as written he's still somewhat human, and not furry, but I'll be changing his write-up to reflect the changes soon, I will update when that happens.

NPC 2: Cord: I've built him much like spiderman just repainted. He has the ability to generate these blue arms (with hands) from his arms. (using a powerful generator wrist cuff on his lower arms he can extend these a great deal) he can wrap people up with them, he can grab, he can swing, he can even grab two things and pull back until he's able to slingshot himself great distances... He's a bit like the proverbial used car salesman.

PC 2 might not be able to make the first session, so I might have to run his escape separately, I'll hold back Cord to escape with him if that's the case... otherwise all four will make it out together. This is designed primarily as a game with my wife, but my buddy might be able to make it every now and then, so it's set up to be a series of one offs where I can change out the PC #2 and the NPC's for some extra firepower if my wife needs it... it's really why The Monster is designed to be so attached to her, and why Cord is so flaky/ sleazy.

The two security goons are dual levels of security I can throw at them during the escape attempt. It was suggested to me to use power armor, however, I can't seem to find a mini I want to represent that armor (I know a weak a** reason to have, but it's what I got)... So I figure that the very advanced troops (appearing after they escape, later in the campaign) will be power armor.

I dunno, would it make sense that a company doing so much genetic work have tech based troops, is that a very comic book-y type convention? What should I do with this? do I have decent base Ideas? Where can I go on a adventure to adventure basis? I've found that I'm pretty bad at Comic based games, so what would direction would I need to go to with this to keep the feel?

Re: Would like help with a Champions game

I'm put in mind of an adventure titled "Project: PREDATOR," from Digital Hero #29. Designed as a convention game, the premise is a secret government project to capture, brainwash, and train paranormals to function as covert government super-operatives. The adventure involves a group of paranormals (ten pregen characters are included) who seek to break out of the Project. They're opposed by up to six more experienced and powerful operatives, who they either have to overcome to escape, or elude as they're pursued on the outside (depending on the setup the GM wants to use).

One thing I find makes this adventure particularly interesting, is that as a result of their conditioning the PCs have no memory of who they are or any of their past history before "waking up" in the Project facility. This allows a GM (ideally in cooperation with the players) to set up interesting background and connections about themselves for the PCs to discover, or actively seek out, driving all manner of future game sessions.

Riffing off these concepts for your purposes, there's no reason an evil corporation can't work as well as a covert government agency as the main heavy of the campaign; although giving said corporation at least some government connections would help them deal with government agencies, and maybe even enlist their help in finding or capturing the PCs. From the PCs' viewpoint, their main motivations will be to escape from/avoid recapture by the corporation, and discover who they really are. If you make all the PCs amnesiac, they have even more motivation for staying together than mutual protection -- these are the only other people who know them.

Since "Corporation X" sounds like it either kidnaps or actually creates paranormals, it would make sense for it to have some already in its service -- possibly much more experienced than the PCs, as with Project: PREDATOR. You can give these operatives agent backing if you think they'll need more power to take on the PCs. Powered-armor troopers are the most obvious route to bring in heavier firepower, but are likely to attract lots of attention, so you should decide whether the corporation would be comfortable with that. Given that Corp X has probably studied the PCs during captivity, you could instead give some of their agents gadgets specifically designed to exploit their known weaknesses.

While not necessary to define immediately, you should give some thought to what Corp X's long term goals are. What purpose did it have in mind for these paranormals? Is the corporation working toward its own goals, or under contract to another party? Is its goal something that would harm it if exposed? (Giving PCs a potential weapon to use against it if they learn the truth.) Are there parties opposed to Corp X that the PCs could gain as allies?

Whether or not any of the PCs know their true identities will affect their next move after they escape from the facility. If they know someone to turn to they'll probably try to seek them out first. If not they'll likely attempt to disappear on the street, or in the wilderness if the facility is far from human habitation. In either case you'll want to have some NPCs ready who would sympathize with their plight and provide them some shelter and food, either short term or as a home base for the campaign.

In any event, finding out more about Corporation X and what it's up to will be a survival priority, which may lead the PCs to seek out its other facilities for records, or even try to slip back into the one they initially escaped from.

I'm put in mind of an adventure titled "Project: PREDATOR' date='" from [i']Digital Hero[/i] #29. Designed as a convention game, the premise is a secret government project to capture, brainwash, and train paranormals to function as covert government super-operatives. The adventure involves a group of paranormals (ten pregen characters are included) who seek to break out of the Project. They're opposed by up to six more experienced and powerful operatives, who they either have to overcome to escape, or elude as they're pursued on the outside (depending on the setup the GM wants to use).

One thing I find makes this adventure particularly interesting, is that as a result of their conditioning the PCs have no memory of who they are or any of their past history before "waking up" in the Project facility. This allows a GM (ideally in cooperation with the players) to set up interesting background and connections about themselves for the PCs to discover, or actively seek out, driving all manner of future game sessions.

Riffing off these concepts for your purposes, there's no reason an evil corporation can't work as well as a covert government agency as the main heavy of the campaign; although giving said corporation at least some government connections would help them deal with government agencies, and maybe even enlist their help in finding or capturing the PCs. From the PCs' viewpoint, their main motivations will be to escape from/avoid recapture by the corporation, and discover who they really are. If you make all the PCs amnesiac, they have even more motivation for staying together than mutual protection -- these are the only other people who know them.

Right on... Thanks for the help. I like the idea, I can combine a touch Weapon X (one reason I named it Corp X, to evoke that feel) with a touch of blackwater, I like that. (I am not setting this in any solid supers world, so I can take things off of the current world) So I can definitely get them some SoF forces to help... I like that. And then that'll lead to super-soldiers, and even some well trained power armor/ up-armored troops. Maybe they have the corner on the tech market, and their trying to edge into the Genetics... I don't know if the other PC is going to be an amnesiac... so I should probably wait till he get's his concept in to figure that one out, as right now, I can go either way. If that's the way he goes, I'll make them all memory wipe cases.

Maybe I can have The Monster know a kindly Janitor...

Since "Corporation X" sounds like it either kidnaps or actually creates paranormals' date=' it would make sense for it to have some already in its service -- possibly much more experienced than the PCs, as with Project: PREDATOR. You can give these operatives agent backing if you think they'll need more power to take on the PCs. Powered-armor troopers are the most obvious route to bring in heavier firepower, but are likely to attract lots of attention, so you should decide whether the corporation would be comfortable with that. Given that Corp X has probably studied the PCs during captivity, you could instead give some of their agents gadgets specifically designed to exploit their known weaknesses.[/quote']

I think keeping a low profile would be in the corporation's best interest... so I've got to think under the radar... maybe start with tracking devices that the PC's don't know about... hmmm... Great thought on "known weaknesses." I may go Power Armor if they get caught in the woods, etc. I think setting up some Mutant "agents" that can do some tracking (maybe a Kraven the Hunter/ Wolverine type would do to start) will do.

While not necessary to define immediately' date=' you should give some thought to what Corp X's long term goals are. What purpose did it have in mind for these paranormals? Is the corporation working toward its own goals, or under contract to another party? Is its goal something that would harm it if exposed? (Giving PCs a potential weapon to use against it if they learn the truth.) Are there parties opposed to Corp X that the PCs could gain as allies?[/quote']

I'll have to give these some thoughts... thanks for the fodder.

Whether or not any of the PCs know their true identities will affect their next move after they escape from the facility. If they know someone to turn to they'll probably try to seek them out first. If not they'll likely attempt to disappear on the street' date=' or in the wilderness if the facility is far from human habitation. In either case you'll want to have some NPCs ready who would sympathize with their plight and provide them some shelter and food, either short term or as a home base for the campaign.[/quote']

I'll have to get those NPC's ready... Cool thanks. (I could even use the huge character book, I forget what it's called)

In any event' date=' finding out more about Corporation X and what it's up to will be a survival priority, which may lead the PCs to seek out its other facilities for records, or even try to slip back into the one they initially escaped from.[/quote']

If the PC's falter, I'll make sure Cord mentions something. Thanks again... I'm liking this.

Oh, and any comments on the builds, and how matched/ out of match the "PC/NPC's" are against the Goons I have up there?

I finally got the goods on that second PC.

His name is going to be Called Mayham, he's going to be kinda a combo Brick/ EP using nuclear projection and expulsion as stated upthread. He doesn't have his memories wiped, but during one of the experiments gone wrong his identity was switched with a heroic one, I think kinda like the whole Rouge conversion in Marvel. He's a pretty dedicated comic fan (heroically inclined) and a pretty good RPer, so I'm not really worried about this being a bid to get away with being a blood thirsty psychopath... but it is noted. I think his powers are going to be somewhat expanded on the Nuke dude from the Hero season [1 or 2]. I figure a shield melting physical rounds that are inbound for a sort of rPD style thing... but again I haven't seen his build.

I'm thinking now that the corp will be in a smaller town/city, ala Raccoon city but upwards built (so it's got to be big enough to have a decent skyscraper) but I'm starting to second guess why someone would have something like that in such an open place... however this is comic logic, I mean, in Disney's Gargoyles Zatatos had the mansion built on top of his skyscraper, even knowing that the "monsters" would be awakened there in the middle of New York City... so, it works in comic logic, right?

I only had a chance to look over Darkflame. While the powers look ok, I think you should probably put some more limitations on them or cut one to give points back. Darkflame seemed really deficient in skills especially a power skill. Unless this campaign is going to be severe hack and slash your pc will want more skills.

I only had a chance to look over Darkflame. While the powers look ok' date=' I think you should probably put some more limitations on them or cut one to give points back. Darkflame seemed really deficient in skills especially a power skill. Unless this campaign is going to be severe hack and slash your pc will want more skills.[/quote']

I see your point about a power skill, However I think that the rest are pretty alright.

I tend to run skills for supers pretty fast and loose, I mean to me, it seems that supers just don't tend to have a lot of skills (unless their a skill hound like Punisher or Bat-Man).

Maybe that's just me... still I think I could have given her a few more skills, but I had to push. An amnesiac only has so much they can take, lol.

I updated her.

you couldwatch episodes of Dark Angel for inspiration

I hadn't thought about that... I never watched the show to begin with, so maybe I'll see if they have it on Hulu or youtube... Thanks.

If your players enjoy mind games, you might not want to have CorpX go all out trying to capture them right away. Let your characters spot CorpX agents snooping around after them or keeping tabs on them. Have the CorpX people harass the heroes by planting false evidence and co-opting local law enforcement and media so that no one believes the heroes. Have NPCs that could be perfectly innocent, or could be working for the other side.

As a player I think it's a lot more fun to be paranoid about more than capture.

I had thought about having the Corp. come to them (after the Heroes have defeated a solid number of the "bad-guys") and start asking for help in catching other experiments gone wrong, and escaped. But have they escaped, or have they been let go... Are they truly experiments gone wrong? But I could draw lines that start that line of thought earlier.... I like that idea though... Good stuff!

Note: I'm on my wife's laptop, so I don't have the file for Mayham, so I'll put that up as soon as I get on mine (just lazy at the moment, lol)

And now on to the body of the post:

Okay, so my first game was last night, and I found out why I hadn't gotten Mayham's sheet for review, the player hadn't made one yet. So I'd say with BS time included (and some taking care of my kids, we are in the middle of potty training my older cub, so there were some major interruptions- note that if you have a young person and you wish to game, have lots of patients) it took us something like 5 to 6 hours to make the character. So we got started at something like 8 pm... grrr.... I could kill a player... ;)

With 6 Guards 6 scientists (just dropped the stat-line a tad, they really didn't do much other than run and a few got in the way, lol, they survived... barely (mostly causal Str. usage by The Monster)... lol).

The Monster had worked out a way to escape his containment pod (read as an Iron Lung looking deal that was being used to run some experiments on The Monster), and popped his container. This alerted the guards for Phase 12, and they all shot their blasters at him.... doing... squat... lol.

Cord wasn't really restrained vary well, and busted loose, swinging across the room into a moving kick on one of the guards by the door.

The Monster walked over to the control unit and destroyed it.

Darkflame woke up and missed a few guards, hitting the last one.

Mayham studyed his containment pod (read as something about the size of the poration device from the movie "The Fly," and visually closer to the unit that Ozborn changed into the Green Goblin from the first "Spiderman" movie) hitting it a few times with "normal punches" then Blowing it apart from the inside with a sharp blast.

They managed to take down all the guards, and as the last one fell, 6 more showed up at the door.

Mayham decided to blow through a few walls until he found freedom. Chased and harassed the entire way, they manage to find the outside after a few walls, and they made it outside.

We had to stop at this point because it was too late with little children needing attention.

It was fun... relaxing, and a good time was cited by everyone. There was some witty banter utilized, Mayham tended to steal the spotlight in that regard, while it was revealed that The Monster has a "thing" for Darkflame... (they still don't know why Darkflame was unconscious, and why The Monster has this interest in her... They also don't know why Mayham seemed to have the best way out, his history is that he was a scientist that was working on these experiments, but he wasn't very nice, however an experiment gone wrong has inserted a Heroic personality into his mind, and he is very confused about who or what he it at the moment).

What's everyone think so far?

Thank you all for your help.

I'm thinking now that the corp will be in a smaller town/city' date=' ala Raccoon city but upwards built (so it's got to be big enough to have a decent skyscraper) but I'm starting to second guess why someone would have something like that in such an open place... however this is comic logic, I mean, in Disney's Gargoyles Zatatos had the mansion built on top of his skyscraper, even knowing that the "monsters" would be awakened there in the middle of New York City... so, it works in comic logic, right?[/quote']

The reason you would locate a high-security, highly dangerous facility in the middle of a well-populated area is the reason anything happens in the corporate world: money. It is really expensive to build, staff, and maintain a remote site. But it isn't like there aren't real world precedents for such facilities in cities. The Pentagon isn't exactly in an out of the way place. The CDC, which deals with some pretty nasty biological agents, is headquartered in Atlanta, which is hardly a small town. Corporation X is likely to decide that it is cheaper and easier to keep the facility low profile in a city than build it in a remote spot. If a few officials have to be bribed, or a few overly curious people have to disappear, then so be it. In fact you can use a disappearing reporter or something as a plot hook to set the characters on the right path to getting to the bottom of Corporation X.