So....Dynamite jumps into The Phantom's boots.....

RexMundi

Now, I'm a HUGE fan of all that is pulp, and Lee Falk's Phantom, has always been a long standing favorite of mine. I think I can say, that it was The Phantom that really got me into reading comic books as a kid (Well the Phantom, and the big collected works of Buck Rogers strips in the library :D)....

Now, I really liked Moonstone's take on The Phantom. Very true to form and as usual for that company, true Pulp in it's own right.....

Now Dynamite's gonna tackle Kit Walker.....so we go from these looks:

989-1.jpgPhantomcomics2.jpgDC_Phantom.jpgPhantomissue12mikebullock.jpg

To Alex Ross's Current new vision of this....

Phantom01-covers.jpgPhantom01-covB.jpg

Now......I'm something of a purist at Heart, and while I like the look, the thing the Phantom is known for really in the end, is being the first "Super Hero" depicted in the skin tight suit, and mask with no pupils/eyes showing .....

Maybe I'm being nit picky, but the new covers from dynamite.....seem a bit Off from a Phantom perspective. Now I'm not saying the suit has to be Purple. In a lot of publications, the suit color is changed, especially depending on country, and it's been everything from Purple to Grey to Blue to Red etc etc etc ......

This looks more like Tarzan Loin Cloth, gun belt, and hmmm.....Grape Juice? Not really sure....remains to be seen.

Now I've enjoyed Dynamites take on the Pulp and Golden Age characters from the Project Super Powers stuff. Their worst Habit as a company is that their books are so ADD HEAVY for otehr titles they do, it detracts from the story you are trying to read. Maybe some day they'll grow out of that.....

I'm curious as to the direction they want to go for this current take on The Phantom.....the Ghost who Walks is pretty defined, and those of us that like the character, are pickier then even Green Hornet or Doc Savage fans, so......Looks like a Risky take but interesting. Any other views out there?

~Rex

Needs his body stocking back. . .

Looks like someone dumped a bucket of red paint over him. Please, give him his body stocking back, because that last pic looks like a colourised version of Marv from Sin City, with mascara yet.

Just make it a collage of dark greys, so he really can be "The Phantom", a hard trick to pull off if you're wearing pink.

And, in the first picture, that mask with the white eyes makes him look like Space Ghost pulling a "Hong Kong Phooey" move.

Re: So....Dynamite jumps into The Phantom's boots.....

Heh, that First Pick, is from WAY WAY back in the day.....

As for the outfit....it's color changed depending on the country it was being published in.....Like so...

lignante_thephantom.jpgfalk2.jpg

~Rex....thinks somethings up with the Berry Juice look......

Heh, that First Pick, is from WAY WAY back in the day.....

As for the outfit....it's color changed depending on the country it was being published in.....Like so...

You'll notice it's not just his outfit that's so afflicted in those two versions. :)

But yes, that does make it a bit tricky to pin down what the 'real' color is supposed to be. You could say that the US version has the canonical one, but even that has evidently gone through changes over time...

Then again, every practical-minded superhero should have a spare costume or three just in case an emergency pops up while the first is in the laundry, anyway. So maybe it's just a case of that principle in action? ;)

Guest steamteck

Did anyone see the Billy Zane movie version? I didn't think it was that bad' date=' and at least they were trying to take it seriously[/quote']

I liked that quite a bit actually. Hmmm Now I want to see it again

own it on DVD...saw it on blue ray the otherday at walli world, not planning on picking that up, as I only do the blue ray on movies I feel are worth it for detailed F/x

Guest steamteck

Why is it always the last whatever? I don't want to see the final gasp of glory of the gods, dragons ,shaolin warriors , ninja ,magical beings, etc. I want to see them in their glory days.

Did anyone see the Billy Zane movie version? I didn't think it was that bad' date=' and at least they were trying to take it seriously[/quote']

I liked it. Thought it captured the spirit of the original comics quite well - with a couple of wrinkles of its own.

At first, wasn't so sure about having his father do the Obi-Wan thing, but it worked well plot-wise.

Why is it always the last whatever? I don't want to see the final gasp of glory of the gods' date=' dragons ,shaolin warriors , ninja ,magical beings, etc. I want to see them in their glory days.[/quote']

a very valid point

Hmmm...

I've started reading their Green Hornets (both plus the Kato books) and really like them.

But this new Phantom is just not grabbing me. I mean, to me he just doesn't look like the Phantom at all, and the look is a major part of what sets the tone of a character. I mean Batman in a red suit wouldn't be Batman, or Superman in purple.

PS I liked the movie too.

So he's the last Phantom? I got some advice for him: Get laid ya weiner! If all your ancestors could do it, why can't you? What, you been taking steroids or something?

I suppose that would explain the 'roid rage cover.

I'll have to say, I liked the Zane flick as well. Thought they, with the rating they had, did a good job with that. Now as for this new comic run, I'm already hesitant in looking at it, simply because the stuff being published by Moonstone has been brilliant, and I don't like mucking with the Basic truths of a character (With the Phantom, that being the skin tight suit, the domino mask, and no visable eyes etc....)

It seems they are treading off reservation here in a direction that doesn't "feel" Phantom. Still, I haven't read it yet, so who knows it could be fantastic, but the Idea of a "last" Phantom, doesn't sit as well with me as "current" Phantom, because the Phantom Family line, is an integral part of the Phantom Story.

~Rex

• 3 weeks later...

While Billy Zane was a bit er "wooden" in the lead role I particularly liked the supporting cast; Kirsty Swanson as Diana Palmer was great fun, as were Treat Williams and the guy who played Kabai Singh (Whose name I can't remember !)

While Billy Zane was a bit er "wooden" in the lead role I particularly liked the supporting cast; Kirsty Swanson as Diana Palmer was great fun' date=' as were Treat Williams and the guy who played Kabai Singh (Whose name I can't remember !)[/quote']

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa

IMDB is your friend:)

Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa. Hell of an actor really. Dude can radiate Sinister like no other. Of course we now have THIS, coming out from SyFy (Imagine different......Or should that be...Imagine Killing off your Childhood Memories)...

http://screenrant.com/trailer-syfy-the-phantom-aco-29196/

I think The Phantom, is about to get the same sort of Treatment they used to use for a season finale of 'Oz ......*sigh*

~Rex

Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa. Hell of an actor really. Dude can radiate Sinister like no other. Of course we now have THIS, coming out from SyFy (Imagine different......Or should that be...Imagine Killing off your Childhood Memories)...

http://screenrant.com/trailer-syfy-the-phantom-aco-29196/

I think The Phantom, is about to get the same sort of Treatment they used to use for a season finale of 'Oz ......*sigh*

~Rex

I on the other hand was living in my own fantasy world and thinking "this might just work".....

until I saw the new phantom suit....

aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!! THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!

I felt much the same, but you know, they saw the sheer genius of Smallville, and decided they could morph the colors a bit and just raid the lot dumpsters for a green arow suit and run with it.......*sigh* It's not Hard, REALLY, to do something GOOD. I think any person here, could do a screen play outline for a Phantom Movie that wouldn't Suck, YET, time and time again, folks with schlock in their veins get the job of wrecking that which was once good and pure, heh.

~Rex