Smart Automata sans Computers

FreeDice

The campaign I'm working on has a lot of automata. Think, Star Wars level of Droids.

Most of them are as intelligent as a Human with an 8 INT. For those that are just in a standard, bipedal body, I'm thinking of handwaving the Computer, and just ruling that they're as smart as an 8 INT would represent.

Unlike a Computer, when an Automaton encounters an obstacle to carrying out one of its commands, it may not make an INT Roll to solve the problem or avoid the obstacle. Typically an Automaton just keeps trying to do whatever it was ordered to do, and if the course of action isn’t obvious it either stops functioning or does the most dramatically useful thing (which usually isn’t to the creator’s benefit). Ordinarily the commands given to an Automaton should be so simple that these sorts of dilemmas don’t arise. But ultimately it’s up to the GM to decide how an Automaton reacts in these circumstances.

I want to avoid that. I just want them to behave like an 8 INT, but I don't want to build a Computer for every single Automaton. (There will be a lot of different types.)

Has anyone done this? What problems do people foresee with giving Automata problem solving abilities. (I mean, game problems, not, robots overrunning the universe problems.)

Thank you.

Re: Smart Automata sans Computers

remember that they are considered Computer class of minds' date=' means that they may be immune to Mind powers, but vulnerable to Hacking[/quote']

I had not considered that yet. Thank you - that will definitely come up.

One approach that I've taken to allowing Automatons to initiate their own actions, while still keeping all the special qualities of being Automatons, is to allow them to use certain Skills in relevant situations to think creatively, the way that free willed sentients can, if they succeed at their Skill Roll. For example, Acting would allow them to behave like a normal person in most social situations (alternatively, Interaction Skills could be used, depending on the circumstances); Deduction would handle common problem-solving, like coming up with alternate ways to fulfill a command if the literal or obvious ways are impossible; Inventor would let them use Science or technology-based Skills to "hotwire" devices and similar improvisations; a successful Navigation or Area Knowledge roll would tell them to find an alternate way to a destination if the obvious one is blocked; Tactics would let them choose the most appropriate method of fighting an opponent, rather than rigidly following orders. If you don't want the situations to be defined so narrowly, you could define the Skill, Power, as covering all situations where the Automaton needs imagination and initiative.

If the Automaton fails its Skill roll, it either does nothing like a standard Automaton, or it takes inappropriate actions determined by the GM, which can range from embarrassing to dangerous, depending on the situation and the amount the roll was blown by. The GM can assign a penalty to the roll depending on the difficulty of the situation. Think of the times in the Star Wars film series when C3PO would panic and become completely indecisive in emergencies. ;) OTOH if an obstacle the Automaton faces is trivial, the GM could rule that it automatically makes its Skill Roll in that instance.

You could look at the cost of buying an Automaton these Skills as balancing its increased capabilities, particularly if you buy up their Skill rolls to make them more reliable.

One approach that I've taken to allowing Automatons to initiate their own actions' date=' while still keeping all the special qualities of being Automatons, is to allow them to use certain Skills in relevant situations to think creatively, the way that free willed sentients can, [b']if[/b] they succeed at their Skill Roll. For example, Acting would allow them to behave like a normal person in most social situations (alternatively, Interaction Skills could be used, depending on the circumstances); Deduction would handle common problem-solving, like coming up with alternate ways to fulfill a command if the literal or obvious ways are impossible; Inventor would let them use Science or technology-based Skills to "hotwire" devices and similar improvisations; a successful Navigation or Area Knowledge roll would tell them to find an alternate way to a destination if the obvious one is blocked; Tactics would let them choose the most appropriate method of fighting an opponent, rather than rigidly following orders. If you don't want the situations to be defined so narrowly, you could define the Skill, Power, as covering all situations where the Automaton needs imagination and initiative.

If the Automaton fails its Skill roll, it either does nothing like a standard Automaton, or it takes inappropriate actions determined by the GM, which can range from embarrassing to dangerous, depending on the situation and the amount the roll was blown by. The GM can assign a penalty to the roll depending on the difficulty of the situation. Think of the times in the Star Wars film series when C3PO would panic and become completely indecisive in emergencies. ;) OTOH if an obstacle the Automaton faces is trivial, the GM could rule that it automatically makes its Skill Roll in that instance.

You could look at the cost of buying an Automaton these Skills as balancing its increased capabilities, particularly if you buy up their Skill rolls to make them more reliable.

Darn, it won't let me reputize you again yet.

Lucius Alexander

And the inevitable palindromedary tagline

To the above example I would suggest the 1 point program - Act like a normal person. (they may have to do it when not actively following a command and thus may need a program to tell them how to use their acting skill to pass as human)

I had not considered that yet. Thank you - that will definitely come up.

If you're interested in a different take on computer hacking, I recommend "Kazei 5" from BlackWyrm, which devotes a whole chapter to cyberhacking powers. Also, computers, robots, and other toys.

As an aside, I've found my Skills approach to be helpful running various Automatons published in the 4E and 5E books, which are often described as performing sophisticated, dynamic independent actions beyond their capabilities as Automatons according to the RAW. Using their given Skills this way, and sometimes adding a few additional Skills to their character sheets, gives them such capability without having to write up a Computer brain for each of them.