Is there a running thread for minor corrections on old books?

Mathew

Re: Is there a running thread for minor corrections on old books?

If you don't like it, roll a 8 or less for the guy like it says in the book, instead of the 11 that I suggest. It's a freaking suggestion to a character sheet that may or may not have a mistake. Play it as you will people.

I changed it because it looked out of place to me. I mentioned it specifically because it was a judgement call on my part. I'm not saying it's definietely wrong, I'm saying I think this makes more sense, and in fact may be what the author wanted. Maybe not, but maybe.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed Zen Eagle from Allies doesn't quite add up. His Constitution stat from both normal and hero form come to 12 points cost, but he paid 14 points for it. Normally I'd lower the point cost and keep the stat identical, but since that would make him a 248 point hero, I'd recomend making his CON stat one higher, so he continues to be a 250 point hero.

Zen Mouse has a problem with the cost of her Stun and Martial Arts. The Stun is listed as costing 3 points, and the Martial Arts costing 20 points, but the STUN attribute would suggest it cost her zero points, and the Martial Arts should cost 21 points. This would make her a 248 point character. I recomend increasing the Stun by 2 so she maintains her 250 point status.

Barnstormer from Allies should have a Breakfall of 14- because of his DEX. He should probably get a DF Detects as a mutant, as it's described in his text.

I was wondering about the writeup for Escapade in High Tech Enemies. She has a EC with two Telekinesis slots in it, one is higher strength and has 1/2 END cost, the other is lower STR, has 0 END and fine manipulation. The second slot also has Extra Limbs in it, and it's LINKED to the TK. Can you have two powers inside a EC slot that are linked together? I'd say either move the Extra Limbs outside the EC or remove the link.

Minor correction for Sci-Fi in High Tech Enemies. His Armor should cost 37 points, not 38.

In Classic Organizations:

p41, Metalla's Flash power should cost 12 points, not 5.

p78, Cosmo's Martial Arts should cost 13 points, not 14 points. His 3 levels with his cosmic power shouldn't cost 24 points, as that's overall levels. I'd call them a tight group, so it would cost 9 points.

Just wondering, are you going to rewrite Slicks powers from the Ultimates? It always bothered me that the slick power is written up as an entangle, since entangles are strength based. I know that its easier to write it up in 5th using the expanded change enviroment power. So I wonder if you do, how would you change it? Also, are you going to use generic martial arts for most characters, or are you going to give specific styles to the characters? Example, Death Commando now gets commando style instead of generic.

I hadn't planned on re-writing Slick, but I'll take a look.

I just figured Victrix from p101 of Champions Universe, book 421. A couple small problems. First I added "DF - Detects as a mutant" as a 10 point disad. Then I lowered the cost of her TK levels to 6 points (they would be considered a tight group). Also, from a game mechanic point of view, her EC suffers from the Force Field being so low of cost. If you raised it to a 18 PD/13 ED (from 18 PD/6 ED), then increased the EC reserve to 25 points (from 21), the resulting total cost is EXACTLY THE SAME, but you'd have more defense.

I hadn't planned on re-writing Slick, but I'll take a look.

I just figured Victrix from p101 of Champions Universe, book 421. A couple small problems. First I added "DF - Detects as a mutant" as a 10 point disad. Then I lowered the cost of her TK levels to 6 points (they would be considered a tight group). Also, from a game mechanic point of view, her EC suffers from the Force Field being so low of cost. If you raised it to a 18 PD/13 ED (from 18 PD/6 ED), then increased the EC reserve to 25 points (from 21), the resulting total cost is EXACTLY THE SAME, but you'd have more defense.

The only thing I might add here is her defenses were intended to be low...as she was original introduced in VOICE of Doom...and she was intended to be vulnerable to them...hence..lower defenses.. Now...as a PC I'd certainly do the same as you for efficiency

410 - p. 124 Kingdom of Champions. Besides the corrections in the Errata for this book, Dr. Goldwing paid too much for his Transport Familiarity. It should cost 4 points, not 7, as his purchase of the Ground Vehicle category covered the tracked and ground effect vehicles he bought seperately.

• 2 weeks later...

I know School o Hard Knocks is a GURPS suppliment, but the author did release Champions writeups for the characters in the book online, and i was going over them. First one I checked was Sizzler. Her RKA Damage shield should only cost 3 points, not 4. Also her "KS Artist" skill doesn't really make sense. She's not knowledgeable about "artist". Should probably either be "KS Art" or "PS Artist".

So, how do you know that the Heromaker math is correct? ;)

JoeG

Remembers some interesting errors in Creation Workshop.

Hero Maker was pretty accurate. Steve B did a good job with it. Pretty much all the characters prior to Heromakers release were put into HM. Naturally many book errors were found.

edit: Off the top of my head, I think there is some math that is done differently now in regards to when you round, but not sure.

Hero Maker was pretty accurate. Steve B did a good job with it. Pretty much all the characters prior to Heromakers release were put into HM. Naturally many book errors were found.

edit: Off the top of my head, I think there is some math that is done differently now in regards to when you round, but not sure.

I'm pretty sure that the old rounding rules rounded at each stage (ie Active Points, Real Cost), while I believe that the current software displays rounded results, but actually only rounds at the end. I've had a few powers that were off by a point in HD over the hand calculated numbers, but it's not really much of an issue for me. Most of my new characters are build directly in HD now anyway, so everything's consistent.

JoeG

• 5 months later...

In High Tech Enemies Master Control should probably buy Linguist as it would save him 4 points and cost him 3 points. His Interrogation and High Society should be 15- because of his high PRE stat. MC's Rival is listed as "Ironmonger", it may have ment to say "Ironmaster" who is a villain in Kingdom of Champions. MC's followers would be purchased cheaper as one group of 100 point or less followers, instead of buying them seperately for the Black Guard and Silver Guard.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to figure out Coral from the 4th editon Viper book, page 91.

Coral has 20 points for 4 inches of DEF 4 Tunneling, but it should come to 34 points. Her bite is listed at 34 points, but it doesn't seem to offer any explanation as to how they came to that number. Seems to be a 3D6 HKA with AP (+1/2), 1/2 END (+1/4) and increased stun multiplier (+1/2). So that's 101 active points. Then she has no KB (-1/4), Gradual Effect 1 minute (-1/2), No STR bonus added (-1/2), and an unlisted "DVC Concentrate", probably 1/2 DCV for (-1/4). That comes to 40 points. The high point variant says increase her SPD to 5, but she already has a 5 SPD. Perhaps they meant increase to 6?

Actually it does. If your not detectable as a mutant, then your... not a mutant (or your the White Queen from The Mutant File!). It's just when that book was printed they didn't use DF for mutants yet, that didn't become common until "The Mutant File" was printed.

Classic Enemies

p51, Black Diamond's Susceptability is worth 15 points, not 10.

p88, Sparkler's Force Field should cost 26 points, and her RKA should cost 71 points. Her combat levels are probably in RKA, since she has no EB.

Allies

p13, Foresight's EC should have a 27 point reserve, her Clairsentience slot should cost 22 points and her Telepathy slot should cost 48 points. Her Martial Arts are only worth 14 points, not 15. She doesn't need Mental Awareness as she has Telepathy. She should have DF "detects as a mutant".

Not really. By the same logic that he doesn't have to take Genocide as a hunted just because he's a mutant. Unless there is a campaign rule in play that states that a mutant must take the Disad, there is absolutely no reason that the character has to have it.

In a standard Champions setting Mutants now have a DF. It's just that some books were printed BEFORE that was standard. Check out the updated versions of character printed after The Mutant File, you may notice that DF was added. Otherwise the character wouldn't turn up positive on a mutant scanner, which means they are not a mutant.

Do whatever you want in your game. You may notice for instance that Barnstormer in the Allies book it says in his description that he detects as a mutant on detection devices, but it's not listed as a Disad, since they didn't do that back then. No character has that as a DF until The Mutant File was released. Also, all the mutants who were re-written after The Mutant File got it added to their writeup.

Allies

p15, Gumshoe has the NCM disadvantage, which means his 25 STR should cost 20 points, not the normal 15.

p33, Lady Thunder should have DF "Detects as a mutant."

p46, The Duke's Languages should cost 11 points, not 8.

p51, Twister should have DF "Detects as a mutant."

p59, The Abstracted Man should have DF "Detects as a mutant."

p60, Shadowstorm's SPD bonus from his suit should cost 21 points. His Holographics Technology science skill should cost 6 points, if INT based. He should have DF "Detects as a mutant."

Viper

p69, the Viper Commander's Force Field Belt only costs 4 points, not the 5 listed. If you increase it to 7/5 defense then you can keep it 5 points to main the character as a 200 point character.

p70, The Aikido package costs 36 points, but since all VIPER Martial Arts packages should cost 35, you can lower the KS to 11- to make it fit.

p106, Stealth's recovery should cost 2 points, not 4.

p131, Viperia's swimming Multipower slot should cost 6 points, not 5.

419 - Champions of the North

p112, Redemption's teleportation and locations should cost 53 total real points. His PS: Mercenary 8- should cost 1 point. He should have DF "Detects as a mutant."

425 - VIPER

p116, Stalwart's Motorcycle should cost 19 points, not 20. His second Flash Defense should probably be vs. sound, not visual flashes. He should have DF "Detects as a mutant".

p119, Citidel's Multipower Growth slot should cost 3 points not 4. His STUN with Growth should be 67, not 68. His Driving 12- skill should read Combat Driving 15-. His DNPC should be worth 10 points, not 5. He should have DF "Detects as a mutant."