"Encounter" Powers

FreeDice

In order to ease the transition for some of my D&D 4E friends, I've decided to include in their character builds some "Encounter Powers."

For those unfamiliar, D&D breaks down abilities into three categories: "At-Will" (as often as you want, no worries, standard in HERO), "Daily" (Ditto), and "Encounter" (once per "encounter," defined as combat without time for a five minute rest. A five minute rest gets you your Encounter powers back.).

I was going to mimic the idea that you can use an ability once per combat as a single recoverable charge, but the rules say that that's not what Recoverable is meant for. I realize it's a toolkit, but I was wondering if there might be another way to create a Talent or Spell that can be used once per combat, and you get it back with a five minute rest.

Thank you.

Re: "Encounter" Powers

only recoverable 5 minutes after the end of combat

Right. I would define it as "getting a five minute breather." So, if combat is over, but the characters have to sprint through the halls to get out of the castle before the whole building implodes from the arch-villain's magical doomsday device, then the fact that 'combat' has been over for ten minutes is irrelevant. They need to rest.

Perfect, thank you.

Well, I am going to go slightly off track and say that I would WRITE it as "X per encounter" but cost it out based on Recoverable charges, but one les on the chart (so a 1 per encounter would be -1 1/2) the reason why I would do it less is because you do not have to gather up and don't risk loosing charges. Now this is not a big deal in most games, thus on average it is just 1/4 less of a limitation (For that matter that might be a better standard, so the once per encounter becomes a -1 3/4).

put a d&d turn is more like a HERO phase isn't it?

It doesn't translate well at all actually, because the effect lasts through a chance for everyone else on the field to go once before your action comes around again and the effect ends at the end of that action.

So, if you want it to last for everyone else at least once you'll need a Full Turn, if you just want it to last until the end of your next action something like "End of Next Phase" or so.

Also, there are many effects that are "Save Ends" which is a version of Continuous-Uncontrolled in Hero, so that will see a lot of use when translating 4E Effects into Hero.

It's not necessarily the exact mechanics that need to be translated though. Often the spirit and SFX are more important. I wouldn't sweat little details about who gets to act when while the power is in effect if the basic idea is intact (though perhaps D&D has devolved beyond the point where you get what the power is actually about, and all you get now is mehanics?).

It's not necessarily the exact mechanics that need to be translated though. Often the spirit and SFX are more important. I wouldn't sweat little details about who gets to act when while the power is in effect if the basic idea is intact (though perhaps D&D has devolved beyond the point where you get what the power is actually about' date=' and [i']all[/i] you get now is mehanics?).

They have a sentence or two of flavor text. I don't think that's changed much over the years, though.