Computer in a pair of contacts

yamamura

My GM had given one of the players a plot device of a pair of contact lenses that can do the following:

1. Store information

2. Browse the Web

3. Connect with any other contact lens computer allow the user to see what they are seeing

4. Allow of instant communication between wears of said contact lenses

5. Are controlled psychically

6. Probably also everything else a normal PC can do (lightning calculator, absolute time, etc.)

Well now the player wants to keep them and the GM is trying to figure the best way to build them. Of course one way is to build them as a computer but that gets tricky given all they can do. The other way I thought of is IIF and buying the appropriate powers. Ideas?

Re: Computer in a pair of contacts

My GM had given one of the players a plot device of a pair of contact lenses that can do the following:

1. Store information

2. Browse the Web

3. Connect with any other contact lens computer allow the user to see what they are seeing

4. Allow of instant communication between wears of said contact lenses

5. Are controlled psychically

6. Probably also everything else a normal PC can do (lightning calculator, absolute time, etc.)

Well now the player wants to keep them and the GM is trying to figure the best way to build them. Of course one way is to build them as a computer but that gets tricky given all they can do. The other way I thought of is IIF and buying the appropriate powers. Ideas?

IIF seems like the right way to me. They will not be cheap in terms of CPs, but building them is not an issue. The fact that it is a computer can be treated as a special effect, unless the GM wants the player to be able to load and run software other than the functionality described above (which could prove difficult, given the form factor and lack of USB ports).

You could put a limitation on those programs that require network access (items 2-4 above), to represent the fact that if they are unable to access the net, they are not useful. This may be absolutely necessary to allow the GM to prevent them from becoming a balance issue (i.e. using the old "Transporters are offline, cap'n" trope).

One alternate implementation might be that the lenses themselves are just a display device and "dumb terminal," with the actual functionality existing "in the cloud" (to use the current buzzword). This could be done as a MP (using flexible slots) for all of the lens' functionality, representing the fact that each program requires a certain amount of bandwidth (i.e. AP) to run.

My first impression was that they seem a lot like Ghost in the Shell's cyberbrains stuffed into a pair of contact lenses. If that is the case, perhaps Kazei 5 would be a good place to look for build inspiration.

Re: Computer in a pair of contacts

One plus to the 'build it as as a computer' method is that it allows the exact abilities to be on a separate character sheet.

Some might not see that as a plus but it would allow for upgrades by the contact's makers to the 'network cloud' without it really impacting the owning character's sheet (who purchases the computer as a follower).

This is essentially how I build the original personal computer:

The Green Lantern's Power Ring

And of course, Green Lantern