A Whole New World

Boric Slavelord

First off let me say I'm glad to be here! And having been out of the HERO loop for quite some time. With the new 6th edition out and the new edition of FANTASY HERO coming out soon I'm looking to start new fantasy campaign and wanted to hash over some ideas here with you all. I want to do something kinda new but it seems there isn't anything really new. But to start lets say the new campaign world is set on world that is first off FLAT but supported by HUGE pylons that vanish off into infinity. Aside from that the world is pretty much like our earth in terms of climate and terrain. There are no gods per se but there are references to the ONE who created all things. Although there are various other beings of supernatural ability. There's magic of course but not everyone can use it except those few who are given the gift or talent. These we'll call Magisters who are born really powerful but need time and training to use that gift properly.

and that's just for starters.

Re: A Whole New World

I'm trying to think what to put on this world insofar as races. All the standards have been done to death but at the seem time there's a reason they have been. Humans of course will be on this world but I want NO orcs but I really would like some kind of "bad guy" race. Any suggestions?

I agree with Rex. I think you should design the bad guy with close reference to the world you are creating. They might have something to do with the flat earth (upsidedowners) or the pylons (pylon flying lizard men). They should be closely tied into the building and design of the background.

Doc

I think Rex meant what was on the bottom of the flat earth (or that's how I read it)...

Oooohhh.

Haven't really thought about that but I'm thinking some kind of underworld.

Maybe some kind of Behemoth dwells there that's the size of a world. Worshipped by strange red humaniods with six arms.

This sounds a great deal like something Farmer did with his world of Teirs series... perhaps the "gods" are simply powerful beings identical to humans, but far more powerful. One or more created the world, got tired of it and moved on. Just a thought.

This sounds a great deal like something Farmer did with his world of Teirs series... perhaps the "gods" are simply powerful beings identical to humans' date=' but far more powerful. One or more created the world, got tired of it and moved on. Just a thought.[/quote']

Or maybe just one god or Creator and the rest are just very powerful beings. The nature of the Pylons themselves I could keep mysterious. I'm thinking they're constructed of some strange stone metallic material.

Into that region beyond into which the pylons stretch.

That doesn't suggest a story. The sun disappearing into the pylons suggests a story at some point and something different about the world.

Right now I am thinking that this world sounds like a 64 pin computer chip.... :)

Seems to me one could almost structure it like a ball. Flat World on the inside, pylons going down to the interior of the ball, into a pit of "flame", which spits out a ball once in awhile, that rolls up one side of the sphere (the sun), and then comes back to another side......

Or something like that....anyway....thinking.

~Rex

I'd suggest reading the page about Discworld ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(world) ) either for ideas-to-do or not-to-do :)

At least you'll be aware of it if a player mentions it... ;)

Yes I know about Discworld.

Another idea is to have the world be very huge I was thinking it would be about say hundreds of thousands of miles long and wide. Make it square. I was thinking an immense river flows all along the edge of it.

Hmm... flat world, pylons disappearing into the sky... the logical conclusion (from a mythic cosmological perspective) is that the pylons actually support the sky. This would lend itself to an almost Ptolemaic model of the universe, with the flat world at the center and the sun, moon, stars and planets on "crystal spheres" or some other type of conveying framework. This of course begs the question of what lies outside this framework.

Whoa, wait a second. I just got hit with the most bizarre vision. The pylons are actually the stacks of enormous furnaces and steam engines beneath the surface of the earth, which power the machinery that keep the heavens turning. What belches out of the stacks forms the clouds. The sun is an enormous ball filled with combustibles, which emerges out of the top of one pylon, tracks across the sky as it burns its "fuel," then passes into another pylon on the opposite side of the world, from where it's carried beneath the earth overnight to its starting position and refueled for the next day's run. If there's anyone living on the "bottom" of the world, they never see the sun at all.

I need to think more about the implications of this. :think:

And BTW, Boric, welcome back to HERO and to our community! I hope you derive much enjoyment from both. (Might be a worthy occasion to consider emancipating those slaves.) :snicker: