Action Order

slaughterj

Re: Action Order

Yes, once whatever 'action' you took takes place the DEX order reverts to normal.

Characters with Mental Powers on their EGO instead of DEX (but still can't take physical actions until their DEX).

There are a number of actions that can change the DEX order but Lightning Reflexes seems to be the most direct and normal.

Presence attacks could also be initiate on ego

what is interesting to me is the counter actions

when a character holds his action until it perceives the opponents action

going on the same initiative as the opponent

In my group, we handle this with a contested dexterity rolls

Presence attacks could also be initiate on ego

what is interesting to me is the counter actions

when a character holds his action until it perceives the opponents action

going on the same initiative as the opponent

In my group, we handle this with a contested dexterity rolls

Presence attacks don't have to be based on Ego. They are an action that takes no time, and can be performed any time whatsoever, even completely out of turn.

Contested Dex rolls are part of the standard system when someone wants to use a Delayed Phase to interrupt someone else's action.

Don't forget that if you share your next phase with someone you've successfully blocked' date=' you go before him that phase regardless of DEX.[/quote']

I believe in that case you basically jump up the Dex order (though if your foe has a higher Speed and therefore gets an action before you, that seems to not to be particularly useful - I guess you could just block again?).

For presence attacks, you delay the foe.

I'm guessing there are some other circumstances that shift one of these two ways, but it sounds like all of them are transient and nothing shifts permanently (not counting Lightning Reflexes, which is basically just limited Dex).

I'm guessing there are some other circumstances that shift one of these two ways' date=' but it sounds like all of them are transient and nothing shifts permanently (not counting Lightning Reflexes, which is basically just limited Dex).[/quote']

If you're looking for an ability that changes when opponents act (Minor paralytic effects - nerve strikes, poison gasses etc, Distractions - optical flashes, peripheral issusions) you should look at Drain or Change Environment (not specifically listed but certainly in the spirit of the power - probably at the 2-3 point level)

If you're looking for an ability that changes when opponents act (Minor paralytic effects - nerve strikes' date=' poison gasses etc, Distractions - optical flashes, peripheral issusions) you should look at Drain or Change Environment (not specifically listed but certainly in the spirit of the power - probably at the 2-3 point level)[/quote']

Ah, so a Drain Dex may have an effect for multiple rounds of temporarily lowering action order, that's a good alternate example.

Ah' date=' so a Drain Dex may have an effect for multiple rounds of temporarily lowering action order, that's a good alternate example.[/quote']

Also, if you're using the optional Impairing or Disabling rules, certain types of damage lower DEX for at least the duration of a combat.

However, most Initiative modifiers are temporary in nature (including the Hurry and Snap Shot optional Combat Maneuvers). Anything longer-term generally has to be built as a power.