Mind Link w/Targeting?

Re: Mind Link w/Targeting?

Off the top of my head (without checking books) I'd say this would require Mind Scan. Mind Link is just a non-combat form of Mind Scan + Telepathy that only works on friendly targets. As soon as it turns into a combat situation the combat versions should be used.

Off the top of my head (without checking books) I'd say this would require Mind Scan. Mind Link is just a non-combat form of Mind Scan + Telepathy that only works on friendly targets. As soon as it turns into a combat situation the combat versions should be used.

I kinda want a version that's 100% reliable and limited to what the person linked to can see, though.

Ok, I was misreading your original post. You want to establish 'line of sight' for purposes of attacking someone that a mind-linked friend can already see. Clairv... is probably the way to go but I seem to recall that it specifically warns against this usage with the "only with GM's permission'' blurb.

Well, ultimately it's going to be 6 of one, half dozen of the other, because the Mind Scan will be "searching" for 1 mind out of a group of...well, one, since you're "looking" right at the target through the link. And once you get the level of effect needed to target with mental powers(+10? IIRC), then it's go time. Most of the time, that's going to require about 35 points or less of effect, or about 10d6 worth of Mind Scan. The basic difference is that it takes an extra attack action, and the target gets a breakout roll to "shake" the mind scan. And, of course, one is burning a fair amount of END.

If you want 'targeting' on the subject of the Mind Link, sure, but since Mind Link is something you use on your buddies, that just gives you a very good idea where your linked allies are. Handy, but hardly broken.

If you want to 'see' things around the Mind Linked ally, that's a different sense, entirely. Clair is the way to go.

IIRC mindlink isn't a sense and thus cannot be targeting. Either mindscan or possibly clairsentience would be a better way to go

Well, yes, the OP was a recognition of that--I was trying to get the proper mechanic for the sfx of "targeting through the eyes of the linked mind".

Oops my bad then. I was trying to address the "is this legal" question.

I'd use clairsentince personally. Maybe with Indirect so you can shoot through walls (depending on the power)

Most Mental Powers are already Inderect so long as you have Line of Site, aren't they? (For example, you can use a Mental Power on someone you can see on the other side of a window or through a transparent Force Wall/Barrier without breaking said window or Defensive Power). Also, as noted, Clairsentience was not a legitimate Targeting Sense for Mental Powers in 5E and I think 6E leaves it up to the GM but seriously warns against it (if I remember correctly).

For pure RAW legality I'd go with a form of Mind Scan, heavily Limited to define how it works (only to locate and target someone you can "see" through the Mind Link).

Hmm. UBO on Mental Powers' date=' assignable through a Mind Link, but owner still controls power.... :nonp:[/quote']

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. It would need a lot of modifiers, but I like it none the less. Repped.

EDIT: Someone swing the Rep stick for me, will ya?

Hmm. UBO on Mental Powers' date=' assignable through a Mind Link, but owner still controls power.... :nonp:[/quote']

Yeah, that's another way to do it, too. The mental power is then perceived as coming from the linkee, and if the linkee is blinded or stunned or KO'd it's not usable.