Magic Bows and Magic Arrows

Christougher

The RKA for bow and/or arrow is obvious, it's the interactions between them that get funny.

How do you build a magical arrow so that it requires a bow to fire it? (And conversely, an arrow that doesn't.)

What happens when a magic bow rated 2d6K fires an arrow that's 1.5d6K Armor Piercing? (Right now, I'm thinking totalling the AP for the higher and half the lower, and refiguring based on the advantage. For this example, it'd be 37+15=52/1.5=35, or RKA 2d6+1 Armor Piercing.

Re: Magic Bows and Magic Arrows

The first place to start is to ask what do you want 'magic' to enhance?

Damage?

OCV?

Next, Bow or Arrows?

Bow is the easiest, just don't take STR min to enhance damage and buy extra levels for OCV.

Arrows are just extra damage and/or levels linked to Bow of opportunity with Charges (# of magical arrows).

Technically, although the way they're built frequently ignores this because it's for Heroic level games where PCs don't pay points for equipment, Bows and Arrows (and, by extension, other missile weapons) have the "Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness" modifier on their Focus Limitation, which reduces the value of the Limitation by +1/4. I believe the original modifier example was something like a magic summoning circle plus candles and other accoutrements, but the same logic applies to missile weapons.

I'd build the Bow as the Weapon (Xd6 RKA), then the arrows as naked modifiers on the AP of the bow. Makes the Maths easier, and then you basically have say a 2d6 RKA Bow that can use Armor Piercing Arrows, Explosive Arrows, etc. that all do 2d6k instead of some arcane formula for how many dice of damage each different one does. :)

I'd build the Bow as the Weapon (Xd6 RKA)' date=' then the arrows as naked modifiers on the AP of the bow. Makes the Maths easier, and then you basically have say a 2d6 RKA Bow that can use Armor Piercing Arrows, Explosive Arrows, etc. that all do 2d6k instead of some arcane formula for how many dice of damage each different one does. :)[/quote']

Ok, this rocks is my new official method

Design the bow itself with the base damage the weapon does. The arrows are simply charges that go with the bow (like bullets are simply charges that go with the gun). Magical arrows adjust the damage of the bow itself, adding Damage Class bonuses and Naked Advantages to the attack in question.