Wade Wilsons Missile Deflection?

Keldon

Hi all, just noticed Missiled deflect and reflect has changed to deflect and reflect.

Im trying to build a deadpool character and wanted him to have a great missile deflection but not reflection.

Not sure how to do this correctly under the new system. In our games ranged block wont be an "everyman" skill but something you have to buy.

My thought were - Deflection - No Range -1/2 - OIF -1/2 - Only works on "physical" attacks ie no lasers, flame throwers etc. -1/2?

How does this sound?

Thanks for the help :)

Re: Wade Wilsons Missile Deflection?

As I understand it, Missile Deflection from 5E has been folded into the Standard Block Maneuver, though it is a GM's option to allow the ability to block Ranged Attacks (6E59). Basically, the character has to have something that the GM says allows him to Block said attacks. Deadpool's swords should be able to block physical attacks, so a GM probably should allow you to do it when he has his swords. If he is able to do it with other swords or anything else is up to the GM.

As I understand it' date=' Missile Deflection from 5E has been folded into the Standard Block Maneuver, though it is a GM's option to allow the ability to block Ranged Attacks (6E59). Basically, the character has to have something that the GM says allows him to Block said attacks. Deadpool's swords should be able to block physical attacks, so a GM probably should allow you to do it when he has [u']his[/u] swords. If he is able to do it with other swords or anything else is up to the GM.

I guess thats something I need to think more about - I think im mainly just having a hard time dealing with no more Missile deflection and reflection :)

I think the power I detailed is a nice cheap way to "make" players buy deflection, I see being able to deflect bullets as being a power because it almost impossible "realistically" and unless a Hero has it as part of his character I wouldnt allow it against fast attacks like bullets - arrows and rocks would be fine though :)

Maybe bullets should pay for Indirect - cannot be blocked ;)

One simple means of "deflection", especially for characters like Deadpool and Wonder Woman who seem able to deflect dozens of attacks with ease, is to reason from the effect, not from the SFX. Is Wade really deflecting each and every bullet as it comes in, or is the effect really "he doesn't get when he is doing this"? That might be better simulated by a big DCV bonus (only a lucky shot - rolling a 3 - can get past his swords and hit him) or even Desolid that only works to avoid attacks (those attacks can't hurt him while he uses his swords to block them).

The 6e version of Missile Deflection on the one hand is an excellent idea because everyone should be able to deflect a ranged attack like a block; baseball and cricket depend on it. But there is a big difference between "blocking" a baseball or a even a single bullet (even if the character can't see the bullet they could track the movements of the shooter and still successfully block) and deflecting the spray of a machine gun. Hyper-Man's idea of requiring a Rapid sense to detect fast objects is a good one conceptually. Practically you can't block several bullets in a single PHA because the cumulative penalties get too big. So Missile Deflection under 6e might just be Combat Skill Levels only for blocking ranged attacks. Of course practically speaking Hugh's idea of just a DCV bonus with the sfx "he blocked" is better because it makes for fewer rolls and faster combat.

Sounds like a movable barrier to me. (BTW this also works for Jedi Knights). The wall has some body to represent the swords having some body. I also remember deadpool being able to Deflect energy with his swords (aren't they made of Adamantite or something similar?). This size of barrier is large enough to englobe the user. If you don't like the idea of it having body and damaging his swords then reduce the body to 0 and define the piercing of the sword barrier as having his sword being knocked out alignment enough to disrupt his

22 All out Block: Barrier 11 PD/11 ED, 3 BODY (up to 4m long, 1m tall, and 1/2m thick), Dismissable, Non-Anchored, Mobile (+1/4) (71 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; Wave swords in front of character; -1), Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), OAF Sword (-1/4)

It's the best reasoning from effect that really simulate what Deadpool did in the Wolverine movie.

The point made by one of my players was "anyone can deflect an arrow" > "but no one cant stop a machine gun" Which is basically my problem with the new rules.

I do like your build Tasha, seems like it would work well, its a fair few points but would be dropped into Deadpools MP along with his Guns, Swords, Grenades etc so cost isnt a major factor. I think I would drop the body to 0, meaning if one gets through you've missed a block and you get wasted with the rest of the shots :)

The problem with using something like desolid is wade cant protect someone by interjecting himself between the shooter and the target, not that deadpool would be being THAT heroic very often but still :)

Hyper sense is a another great point, I think I would hand out negative to deflect "fast" attacks like bullets and lasers unless someone had something along those lines.

Hyper sense is a another great point' date=' I think I would hand out negative to deflect "fast" attacks like bullets and lasers unless someone had something along those lines.[/quote']

Assuming a rule like "anyone can deflect an arrow, there are significant penalties to deflect a bullet and you must buy a special power to deflect a laser", why should anyone buy attacks defined as arrows or bullets? They have the same cost, but are less useful.

Hmm. How about:

Unblockable Attack:
+1 OCV with specific attack; Only to Counteract Block (-2) [2 Active, 2/3 Real]

Might be appropriate to build into guns. Or maybe:

Undefendable Attack:
+1 OCV with specific attack; Only to Counteract Block and Dodge (-1) [2 Active, 1 Real]

Then again, maybe it's meta-gaming a bit much.

Assuming a rule like "anyone can deflect an arrow' date=' there are significant penalties to deflect a bullet and you must buy a special power to deflect a laser", why should anyone buy attacks defined as arrows or bullets? They have the same cost, but are less useful.[/quote']

Heh a fair point I guess but then in the same vein why buy +" of running when flight - no turn mode - only in conact with a surface costs the same :)

I dont suddenly see my players all packing lasers to "beat" my idea of the rules, heck it was one of them who suggested penalties and he wants a card slinging "gambit" style character :)

Let's assume the card-slinging Gambit character (assumed to be "anyone can deflect" - he coiuld quite reasonably assert Gambit's charged cards explode on contact, so the blast should affect the deflector when he hits the card with whatever he deflects it with) is joined by a Punisher-style Gunbunny and a laser projector. Each pays 60 points for a 12d6 Blast power.

In the course of play, enemies routinely block the thrown cards, occasionally block the bullets and never block the laser. Ae they getting equal valiue for their points? Now that play shows that the card thrower is much less effective than his teammates, will his player continue to believe this is a fair structure? Probably not - it isn't. His power is the least effective, so it should cost the least.

Of course, if Blocks of any of the three are rare occurences, then there will be no huge effectiveness spread, and there will be balance. But then, it really doesn't matter whether the attacks are different in their susceptibility to being blocked - no one ever blocks them. Not vs Orcs isn't a limitation in a game with no, or even virtually no, Orcs either.

If Block will be reasonably common, limitations that make an attack especially vulnerable to Block (or advantages that avoid it) have value. If Block will be rarely used, why bother wityh a host of special rules governing it?