Ctrl+V

Ragitsu

45 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Chaotic Evil? Yeah, that's rough. Lawful Evil (e.g., a Blue Dragon) would have been a better fit when it comes to bargaining with intelligent malevolence. That said, dragons are long-lived with lengthy memories to boot and almost assuredly have a network of minions/allies in place long before they're first encountered. Letting someone go may not be the lopsided deal (lopsided in favor of the quietly distressed humanoid, that is) it appears to be. Personally, I don't see pure roleplay being used to escape a situation necessarily "ignoring the system"; with old school pencil-and-paper RPGs, honing the skill of arbitration to a higher degree than those with built-in social interaction rules is a must.

In terms of mechanics, well...I'm sure there are supplements with spells that can help. Off the top of my head, I know of at least four spells that lower saving throws and two spells that decrease Magic Resistance. A ring of spell storing is very handy for such tactics. Also, there could be an oddly shaped bottle amidst the treasure...a potion of black dragon control or invisibility, maybe?  A bard - with their near-encyclopedic knowledge of the arcane - may recognize something the black dragon (Int 8-10) looked over or only prizes for its ornamental value.

Something that I think is important is that we are both working around the edges of D&D land to make this scene happen using that rule set, or saying that circumstances beyond the rules have facilitated this scene. Side note: it's the charm monster spell that gives flat percentages by HD.  More so, I would point to the author's intent in how D&D was intended to be played, granted, they had ousted Gary Gygax by this time, but he was very much in the no quarter mindset when it came to monsters, be they intelligent or not.  In short, this is a scene better fitted for a game like Dungeon World, than Dungeons and Dragons, where charm and guile can be just as effective as facing a threat head on. 

Actually, looking at this, maybe a black dragon is more likely to take prisoners, because that's chaotic.   

-----------

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

28 minutes ago, Certified said:

Something that I think is important is that we are both working around the edges of D&D land to make this scene happen using that rule set, or saying that circumstances beyond the rules have facilitated this scene. Side note: it's the charm monster spell that gives flat percentages by HD.  More so, I would point to the author's intent in how D&D was intended to be played, granted, they had ousted Gary Gygax by this time, but he was very much in the no quarter mindset when it came to monsters, be they intelligent or not.  In short, this is a scene better fitted for a game like Dungeon World, than Dungeons and Dragons, where charm and guile can be just as effective as facing a threat head on. 

Actually, looking at this, maybe a black dragon is more likely to take prisoners, because that's chaotic.   

I've read that bit about lice before. Needless to say, my mindset doesn't neatly align with Gygax's own (specifically, my campaigns are not Medieval Earth Simulators); for instance, a paladin is capable of showing mercy and they won't be cutting off a thief's hand (this used to be considered "justice"). Do note that I am using AD&D 2e; specifically, my "flavor" is late-stage 2e (just prior to D&D being revised in order to appeal to the video gaming demographic). With that system, they started to make it crystal-clear that there are ways to earn XP without fighting.

Below is an excerpt from the 2e DMG ->

Group Awards

All characters earn experience for victory over their foes. There are two important things to bear in mind here. First, this award applies only to foes or enemies of the player characters—the monster or NPC must present a real threat. Characters never receive experience for the defeat of non-hostile creatures (rabbits, cattle, deer, friendly unicorns) or NPCs (innkeepers, beggars, peasants). Second, no experience is earned for situations in which the PCs have an overwhelming advantage over their foes.

The characters must be victorious over the creature, which is not necessarily synonymous with killing it. Victory can take many forms. Slaying the enemy is obviously victory; accepting surrender is victory; routing the enemy is victory; pressuring the enemy to leave a particular neck of the woods because things are getting too hot is a kind of victory. A creature needn’t die for the characters to score a victory. If the player characters ingeniously persuade the dragon to leave the village alone, this is as much—if not more—a victory as chopping the beast into dragonburgers!

Here's one more ->

Table 33: Common Individual Awards

Player has a clever idea 50–100

Player has an idea that saves the party 100–500

Player role-plays his character well* 100–200

Player encourages others to participate 100–200

Defeating a creature in a single combat XP value/ creature

* This award can be greater if the player character sacrifices some game advantage to role-play his character. A noble fighter who refuses a substantial reward because it would not be in character qualifies.

That's the sweet spot. That is what I find appealing. Not too rough (AD&D) nor too structured (D&D 3e+).

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

I've read that bit about lice before. Needless to say, my mindset doesn't neatly align with Gygax's own (specifically, my campaigns are not Medieval Earth Simulators); for instance, a paladin is capable of showing mercy and they won't be cutting off a thief's hand (this used to be considered "justice"). Do note that I am using AD&D 2e; specifically, my "flavor" is late-stage 2e (just prior to D&D being revised in order to appeal to the video gaming demographic). With that system, they started to make it crystal-clear that there are ways to earn XP without fighting.

Below is an excerpt from the 2e DMG ->

Here's one more ->

That's the sweet spot. That is what I find appealing. Not too rough (AD&D) nor too structured (D&D 3e+).

Here's where we get back into system. The rewards section can outline these types or experience gains, but the other mechanics do not support that, as outlined with the way charm monster is set up, along with magic resistance. It takes incredible feats of luck, or GM fiat, to achieve the same results as accomplished by making the aforementioned dragon burgers, which has a lot more mechanical support.  D&D really was not set up for social encounters, and it lived on the fringes until 3.x, but even then, the means to navigate social situations didn't feel that well thought out. As illustrated by the horde of bard memes that exist now.   

My go to on this one: 
Bard Dump - Album on Imgur

This comes from the idea that passing a social check is equal to I get to do whatever I want. But that's a whole other issue with the rules and trying to become more inclusive of non-combat resolutions. A more recent example of this in meme format. 

Offensive Memes The Kool Kidz Klub - Posts | Facebook

And , an update that I thought perfect. 

Someone fixed it - TTRPGs need consent too: dndmemes

But I think I've gone off on a tangent. 

---------------

On 8/8/2021 at 9:48 PM, Certified said:

Here's where we get back into system. The rewards section can outline these types or experience gains, but the other mechanics do not support that, as outlined with the way charm monster is set up, along with magic resistance. It takes incredible feats of luck, or GM fiat, to achieve the same results as accomplished by making the aforementioned dragon burgers, which has a lot more mechanical support.  D&D really was not set up for social encounters, and it lived on the fringes until 3.x, but even then, the means to navigate social situations didn't feel that well thought out. 

All I can say is this: I cannot guarantee that all of my NPC interactions will go swimmingly, but I'll certainly put in my best effort to make them fair given each unique set of circumstances. It certainly helps to set a ceiling for each encounter. For instance? Well, the most you can hope for with the aforementioned black dragon - assuming the stars align just right - is that they'll let you go of their own volition. HOWEVER...there should almost always be some flexibility that can steer uncertain meetings to either towering heights or abyssal depths. As was mentioned, if the player's roleplaying is phenomenal, they ought to have an easier time swaying an opposing party* to their point of view.

(Inhumanly rigid Lawful Neutral constructs need not apply.)

--- --- ---

tkdguy, look at what I found while shopping on eBay. Ho-lee crap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294046038385

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

All I can say is this: I cannot guarantee that all of my NPC interactions will go swimmingly, but I'll certainly put in my best effort to make them fair given each unique set of circumstances. It certainly helps to set a ceiling for each encounter. For instance? Well, the most you can hope for with the aforementioned black dragon - assuming the stars align just right - is that they'll let you go of their own volition. HOWEVER...there should almost always be some flexibility that can steer uncertain meetings to either towering heights or abyssal depths. As was mentioned, if the player's roleplaying is phenomenal, they ought to have an easier time swaying an opposing party* to their point of view.

(Inhumanly rigid Lawful Neutral constructs need not apply.)

--- --- ---

tkdguy, look at what I found while shopping on eBay. Ho-lee crap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294046038385

Nice, but $150 price tag? I'm glad I still have my own copy.

19 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Nice, but $150 price tag? I'm glad I still have my own copy.

Is it worth obtaining? Broader question: which of the "old school" (by now, I consider anything up until the year 2000 "old school") The Lord of the Rings tabletop gaming products are especially worth the effort? Keep in mind that I initially aim for game material that is factory sealed/"New"/"Mint"; if my first choice is unavailable, I then focus on "Like New"/"Near-Mint" specimens.

(My "wallet" loathes me :tsk:.)

--- --- ---

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Is it worth obtaining? Broader question: which of the "old school" (by now, I consider anything up until the year 2000 "old school") The Lord of the Rings tabletop gaming products are especially worth the effort? Keep in mind that I initially aim for game material that is factory sealed/"New"/"Mint"; if my first choice is unavailable, I then focus on "Like New"/"Near-Mint" specimens.

Depends on how much of a collector or MERP fan you are. It has a lot of details on the different cultures and has several maps, but the adventures are just adventure ideas rather than completely written games. So if you're the GM, you'd have to write out the details yourself. If you're looking for ready to run adventures, you're best off finding something else. If you just need background ideas on the different races, it's a good resource, but see if you get get it for a cheaper price. If you're a collector, then by all means buy it.

On 8/13/2021 at 4:23 PM, tkdguy said:

Depends on how much of a collector or MERP fan you are. It has a lot of details on the different cultures and has several maps, but the adventures are just adventure ideas rather than completely written games. So if you're the GM, you'd have to write out the details yourself. If you're looking for ready to run adventures, you're best off finding something else. If you just need background ideas on the different races, it's a good resource, but see if you get get it for a cheaper price. If you're a collector, then by all means buy it.

Are there any detailed adventures on the scale of, say, The Temple of Elemental Evil? I'd be happy to collect at least one of those.

--- --- ---

Most of the early MERP modules tended to focus on the region rather than fully fleshed out adventures. That said there's The Court of Ardor, which takes place way out of Tolkien's map. Most are a collection of adventures within a certain area, such as Phantom of the Northern Marches, Denizens of the Dark Wood, and Brigands of Mirkwood. A lot of the 2E sourcebooks included some adventures that were somewhat fleshed out. These would include the Arnor sourcebooks (The Land, The People) and Minas Ithil.

I have a lot of the modules, but my collection is far from complete, and I haven't read many of them in years. So here's a list of adventures from the MERP Wiki and a couple of playlists with reviews, listed by channel.

Roman Dacil

Your Seat At The Table

Animal Powered 14: Turtle
Alright, I'm busted, after 30 articles, and a year and a half, we have both Ninjutsu and Turtles. Somehow those things just seem to go together. So, enjoy our final installment of Animal Powered, the Turtle! 
https://housedok.com/animal-powered-14-turtle/

Enjoying our content? Want to support independent RPGs and Comics? Join our Patreon at: https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans
($2 a month unlocks all bonus content, including content polls, expanded monthly adventures, and Steel Aces making of videos.)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

Print: https://studio2publishing.com/products/metahumans-rising?_pos=2&_sid=145b3fa95&_ss=r

PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/277614/Metahumans-Rising

#Metahumans #Superheroes #RPG #TTRPG #Animal #CreaturePowers #Turtle #TurtlePower

"Love is not to possess, you keep telling me you must marry this elf you love but why so?
Marriage is a political link, love is something else.

Isn't the fact that someone special exists good enough to make your heart filled with joy? It is good to be close, I know, but true love does not need closeness to keep ones heart warm. Love is to keep you going, to keep you alive. You must learn to enjoy it, enjoy the thrills, the anxiety, the butterflies on your belly, living the love while it lasts is far more delightful than wishing to tame it and keep it for ever. No one...no one is the same for ever."