• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

It seems entirely plausible to imagine that the US government would be willing to conduct a massive interstellar diplomatic/military operation, positioning itself as a central player in the politics of multiple galaxies, without revealing anything about it to the general public.

It also seems entirely plausible that they'd do this while depicting themselves as legitimately representing the entire human population of Earth, as if all other nations were just US colonial possessions that hadn't realized it yet, or as if they didn't even exist at all.

What doesn't seem even slightly plausible is that the US government's alien allies and benefactors like the Asgard or the Tok'ra would accept this state of affairs as readily as the US government itself, especially since the tendencies it reveals (fragmentation between a number of warring rival powers, a reliance on the mass deception of their subject peoples, and a mindset of unwarranted arrogance and self-aggrandizement if not outright megalomania) are all pretty directly comparable to the weaknesses being exploited by the US government and its allies in their struggle against the Go'auld.

--- --- ---

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I don't understand your question.

My bad. I meant Indian cuisine.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:37 PM, tkdguy said:

Yes, I actually do enjoy Indian cuisine. I once worked next door to an Indian restaurant, formerly a Polish restaurant until the owner retired. Both were pretty good. I would have eaten at the Indian restaurant more often, but the waiters were creepy.

It sucks that your in-dining experience was unpleasant to any degree. Anyhow, I brought up that question because I was fortunate enough to discover a downtown joint that allows online ordering; I paid the establishment a single pre-pandemic visit and found their dishes to be sublime. Sadly, I don't think they are a national chain (so, no locating them in your neck of the woods).

--- --- ---

The basic belief that "It's easy to be a pacifist when you have advanced technology/are powerful." is an offshoot of the saying (and I am slightly paraphrasing in this instance) "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." The implication is that advanced technology (or strength of arms) almost assuredly guarantees pacifism; of course, this ignores human history. Even if all of Earth receives technology from the Asgard/the Nox/the Ancients/et cetera, there will still be factions opposed to peace; some would settle for the economic exploitation of others, some would subjugate/dominate others and some would launch genocidal campaigns. Societal plagues such as nationalism and religious fundamentalism (for instance) do not go away overnight. Ultimately, humans require more evolution (i.e., "growing up") before we can collectively be trusted with techno toys that are incomprehensibly potent.

Old, romantic, historic Earth, the big blue marble itself. Miles had always expected to travel here someday, although not, surely, under these conditions. Earth was still the largest, richest, most varied and populous planet in scattered humanity’s entire worm-hole nexus of explored space. Its dearth of good exit points in solar local space and governmental disunity left it militarily and strategically minor from the greater galactic point of view. But Earth still reigned, if it did not rule, culturally supreme. More war-scarred than Barrayar, as technically advanced as Beta Colony, the end-point of all pilgrimages both religious and secular—in light of which, major embassies from every world that could afford one were collected here.