City Builder - It takes a village to create Arcadia

MisterVimes

Previously, kind-hearted people helped to wipe the city of Philadelphia off the map (excepting for the Historic District, which was saved through the sacrifice of Dr. Emile Lasombre). After the Event, a 7 mile diameter sphere of Earth was supplanted by a mineral rich clay, iron, and bedrock along with a super-dense atmosphere that proved to be a powerful Mutagen.

That was 10 years ago. In the intervening decade, businesses and people moved into neighboring Camden NJ (a high-crime, low population area) across the Delaware River. Then, as the area that was Philadelphia was rebuilt into the shining utopia of Arcadia, businesses and population moved back to the former city of brotherly love to take advantage of the new technologies and business, education, and scientific incentives the new city offered, leaving "The Cam" worse off than before, with crime rates the highest in the world and a hulk of a dying city run by a corrupt government.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to fill in the missing decade. How did we get from the Event to the Tale of Two Cities?

"The Cam" will require a story of its own, but for the purposes of this exercise we can assume that corrupt elements in Camden took advantage of the Event and opened their doors to any and all businesses and citizens (survivors and those abroad at the time) to relocate. Property was cheap and it looked like the perfect solution. Once everyone was locked in, taxes rose and services fell, and crime grew fat. But we'll flesh out those details in another installment.

As for Arcadia, we have rich soil (already accepting seed and producing growth within weeks of the event), minerals of an otherworldly sort, and a lot of land to build on.

• The Players - Someone has to rebuild the city
    • Government - FEMA is called in, but what next?

• Business - Who invests in this new utopia?

• Science - There is so much to study here, who gets on board?

• Foriegn Investments - What nations should have a presence?

• The Villain - What sort of badguy should be invested in this and what secrets has he installed in the City of Tomorrow?

• The Illuminati - Historic Philly remains and we know Philadelphia had a history with mystics, what of them?

• Infrastucture - What services exist?
    • Transportation - Maglevs? Smart roadways? The sky is the limit for this model city

• Education - A new university of Pennsylvania?

• Communications - Wireless communications for eveyone? Is big brother watching?

• Public Service - What does the fire department and police department look like?

• Unaswered Questions - Everything Else
    • Philadelphia - What became of the old city and the citizens?

• Sophia Lasombre - Her heroic father is gone and a decade later the 10 year old became a 20 year old Doctor. How did she get there?

• Ghosts of the Past - There are survivors (directly exposed to the Mutagen, I might add) and a historic district that contains mysteries and early American artifacts like the Liberty Bell.

I ask a great deal and offer very little in return, however, much like "Mister Vimes" became the drug dealer to street criminals in many campaigns of years gone by. I can offer a brief place in history. I mean, I already have an information broker named "Hermit" that works out of the New Franklin Institute in mind...

Re: City Builder - It takes a village to create Arcadia

I mean' date=' I already have an information broker named "Hermit" that works out of the New Franklin Institute in mind...[/quote']

Ah shucks. :o Thanks. I hope he's got more character points than the real thing (Not that that's hard, I'm usually someone's DNPC ;) )

[*]The Players - Someone has to rebuild the city

Government - FEMA is called in, but what next?

- By now, I'm sure elections are back on track, but perhaps the Mayor should be the former owner of a business, one that tried to move to Camden and then got screwed badly by that corrupt government. He left it in disgust swearing to 'bankrupt himself rebuilding Old Philly before he gave those bloated bastards in Camden 'one more red cent'. He nearly did go bankrupt, but eventually became a leader of the community, and then, first Mayor of Arcadia. Whether he still holds that position or not up to you, natch. If still mayor, then he probably is about as decent a politician as you can find, but his down side might be that his old grudge against Camden means he shuns dealing with it or its city fathers even when it might be wise to do so (This could lead to frustration to any police cooperation, etc).

If retired, his family is probably well placed and influential now.

Business - Who invests in this new utopia?
- While I doubt, soil aside, there will be much farming in Arcadia's city limits, I can certainly see an Agricultural related Corporation putting a regional headquarters here (See Science below). I forget if you're using things from the 'official CU' or not, but if I recall 'A.C.E.' was good for a 'Lex Corps' kind of feel. And Harmon Industries would be good if you want a chance for the Champions (Or at least Defender) to come over.

Science - There is so much to study here, who gets on board?
- Geologists, Soil experts, heck, maybe some guys from NASA ("It maybe as close to an alien environment as we're ever going to be able to study in our own back yard") and so on. Players love to make Scientist PCs if a recent poll is any indication, so I'd leave a slot open in case one wants to be one and then backwork it in. If you are looking for NPCs, I would suggest the NASA expert above. Have the players wonder if he's A) mutated by his studies and now a hero/villain B) Actually an Alien himself using human skin as a cover while he keeps watch or C) A complete idiot who is very likely to get everyone killed by poking at stuff without proper safety procedures ;)

Foriegn Investments - What nations should have a presence?
- In the real world, China seems to be investing heavily in a lot (Though I hear that's dying down) but I think you should go with what ever international flavor you want to add. Want some asian influences, then China or South Korea. Want an excuse to have Eurostar (or some other European villains ) show? Go with a European connection.

Oh, if it helps, I checked Wikipeida for the sister cities of Philly figuring they might help in the rebuilding one or way or another out of good will or good PR

They are:

* Italy Florence, Italy (1964)

* Israel Tel Aviv, Israel (1966)

* Poland Toruń, Poland (1976)

* People's Republic of China Tianjin, People's Republic of China (1980)

* South Korea Incheon, South Korea (1984)

* Cameroon Douala, Cameroon (1986)

* Japan Kobe, Japan (1986)

* Russia Nizhny Novgorod, Russia (1992)

* Italy Abruzzo, Italy (1997)

* France Aix-en-Provence, France (1999)

The Villain - What sort of badguy should be invested in this and what secrets has he installed in the City of Tomorrow?
- Frankly, I like the idea of a geneticist like Teleois moving in. Those mutagens are just too tempting not to test. Perhaps he's arrange for leaks of the subterranean gas at odd times, or has an underground garden from hell. Whether the mole people are his slaves, the servants of a rival villain, or misunderstood fuzzy blind champions of justice who oppose him is your call ;)

The Illuminati - Historic Philly remains and we know Philadelphia had a history with mystics, what of them?

I don't know the layout of Philly but if had Free masons or other occult architects design any part of it than there is a good chance that pattern is disrupted. This could be a major concern to mystics of all stripes who are 'in the know' . Perhaps more than one group of mystics have even been trying to influence the new layout of Arcadia for good or ill. Imagine if the city planner was a mystic who served elder or fey powers...instead of warding , the city might now attract such things. If you want a doorway to the foot of mythical Olympus or entering into the house of Dagda, now's your chance ;)

I think on the rest of your list later. These are all, of course, just suggestions and thoughts. Feel free to disregard any and all of them, but I hope a few are twist worthy ;)

Ah shucks. :o Thanks. I hope he's got more character points than the real thing (Not that that's hard' date=' I'm usually someone's DNPC ;) )[/quote']

A whole 10 points at very least ;)

- By now, I'm sure elections are back on track, but perhaps the Mayor should be the former owner of a business, one that tried to move to Camden and then got screwed badly by that corrupt government. He left it in disgust swearing to 'bankrupt himself rebuilding Old Philly before he gave those bloated bastards in Camden 'one more red cent'. He nearly did go bankrupt, but eventually became a leader of the community, and then, first Mayor of Arcadia. Whether he still holds that position or not up to you, natch. If still mayor, then he probably is about as decent a politician as you can find, but his down side might be that his old grudge against Camden means he shuns dealing with it or its city fathers even when it might be wise to do so (This could lead to frustration to any police cooperation, etc).

This is really good stuff. Before city elections the aftermath of the Event will need to be dealt with, so I like the idea of an older, established business person losing their shirt in Camden (for being an honest Joe) and coming to Arcadia with next to nothing only to rise to the top. Very Norman Mailer.

- While I doubt, soil aside, there will be much farming in Arcadia's city limits, I can certainly see an Agricultural related Corporation putting a regional headquarters here (See Science below). I forget if you're using things from the 'official CU' or not, but if I recall 'A.C.E.' was good for a 'Lex Corps' kind of feel. And Harmon Industries would be good if you want a chance for the Champions (Or at least Defender) to come over.

I am building my own Universe, but your point in well taken and Agribusiness utilizing and studying the rich soil is a good one. I also imagine that even with an area of 42 square miles that land will be at a premium with all the demand. That means you build UP instead of OUT -- especially when there is the opportunity to utilize the new greenspace.

- Geologists, Soil experts, heck, maybe some guys from NASA ("It maybe as close to an alien environment as we're ever going to be able to study in our own back yard") and so on. Players love to make Scientist PCs if a recent poll is any indication, so I'd leave a slot open in case one wants to be one and then backwork it in. If you are looking for NPCs, I would suggest the NASA expert above. Have the players wonder if he's A) mutated by his studies and now a hero/villain B) Actually an Alien himself using human skin as a cover while he keeps watch or C) A complete idiot who is very likely to get everyone killed by poking at stuff without proper safety procedures ;)

I like this idea. I actually like the idea of a public Alien presence, one that is trusted and publically known (more Martian Manhunter than Superman)

Oh, if it helps, I checked Wikipeida for the sister cities of Philly figuring they might help in the rebuilding one or way or another out of good will or good PR

Brilliant! I don't know why I didn't think of that.

- Frankly, I like the idea of a geneticist like Teleois moving in. Those mutagens are just too tempting not to test. Perhaps he's arrange for leaks of the subterranean gas at odd times, or has an underground garden from hell. Whether the mole people are his slaves, the servants of a rival villain, or misunderstood fuzzy blind champions of justice who oppose him is your call ;)

A Geneticist or a Chemistry Villain with a lot of resources to either publicly (a la Lex Luthor) or privately fund the rebuild.

I don't know the layout of Philly but if had Free masons or other occult architects design any part of it than there is a good chance that pattern is disrupted. This could be a major concern to mystics of all stripes who are 'in the know' . Perhaps more than one group of mystics have even been trying to influence the new layout of Arcadia for good or ill. Imagine if the city planner was a mystic who served elder or fey powers...instead of warding , the city might now attract such things. If you want a doorway to the foot of mythical Olympus or entering into the house of Dagda, now's your chance ;)

While there is a lot of Masonic/Illuminati conspiracy theory going on in the history of Philadelphia, I can't find much in the way of city layout that implied "the occult" but that area of the city will be a great place to put "masters of the mystic arts"

An option that I would recommend is the Cabal, a villain organization from Pulp Hero. They are an alliance of ruthless corporate sharks that banded together to aid one another in the pursuit of greater power and wealth. Updated for the modern superheroic world they would make excellent behind the scenes manipulators and paymasters for all different varieties of threats and complications for your players. You'll find the write-up for the Pulp Era group in Masterminds and Madmen. I hope that's helpful.

previously, kind-hearted people helped to wipe the city of philadelphia off the map (excepting for the historic district, which was saved through the sacrifice of dr. Emile lasombre). After the event, a 7 mile diameter sphere of earth was supplanted by a mineral rich clay, iron, and bedrock along with a super-dense atmosphere that proved to be a powerful mutagen.

That was 10 years ago. In the intervening decade, businesses and people moved into neighboring camden nj (a high-crime, low population area) across the delaware river. Then, as the area that was philadelphia was rebuilt into the shining utopia of arcadia, businesses and population moved back to the former city of brotherly love to take advantage of the new technologies and business, education, and scientific incentives the new city offered, leaving "the cam" worse off than before, with crime rates the highest in the world and a hulk of a dying city run by a corrupt government.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to fill in the missing decade. How did we get from the event to the tale of two cities?

"the cam" will require a story of its own, but for the purposes of this exercise we can assume that corrupt elements in camden took advantage of the event and opened their doors to any and all businesses and citizens (survivors and those abroad at the time) to relocate. Property was cheap and it looked like the perfect solution. Once everyone was locked in, taxes rose and services fell, and crime grew fat. But we'll flesh out those details in another installment.

As for arcadia, we have rich soil (already accepting seed and producing growth within weeks of the event), minerals of an otherworldly sort, and a lot of land to build on.

• the players - someone has to rebuild the city
    • government - fema is called in, but what next?

Nasa, department of energy, and darpa will all want to go over the surviving area with a fine tooth comb in my opinion. Mostly for the use of new technologies and stuff. Darpa did help build the internet after all.

• business - who invests in this new utopia?

Tons of construction companies, the local duke power/con-ed, maybe the local banks will want to rebuild, the various criminal organizations that deal in gambling, vice, and loansharking.

• science - there is so much to study here, who gets on board?

Every university on the eastern seaboard, especially schools like mit.

• foriegn investments - what nations should have a presence?

Opec nations to channel any energy program away from their interests, or to make oil working a better business than it is now.

• the villain - what sort of badguy should be invested in this and what secrets has he installed in the city of tomorrow?

Organized crime kingpins, any science based villain like teleios, or dr. Destroyer, might be perfect for an underground base for something like viper, cobra, or hydra

• the illuminati - historic philly remains and we know philadelphia had a history with mystics, what of them?

Something may have been released from some holding area that is building up strength to attack.

• infrastucture - what services exist?
    • transportation - maglevs? Smart roadways? The sky is the limit for this model city

everything but flying cars.

• education - a new university of pennsylvania?

I would go with at least two.

• communications - wireless communications for eveyone? Is big brother watching?

Wifi could be extensive. Century station had a city net that could connect to the internet.

• public service - what does the fire department and police department look like?

Got me there. I would go with like they usually do with an upgrade in tech from any discovery based on the strange grounds.

• unaswered questions - everything else
    • philadelphia - what became of the old city and the citizens?

The government would probably move them out of the area until it was safe.

• sophia lasombre - her heroic father is gone and a decade later the 10 year old became a 20 year old doctor. How did she get there?

A fund from donations after her father's death.

• ghosts of the past - there are survivors (directly exposed to the mutagen, i might add) and a historic district that contains mysteries and early american artifacts like the liberty bell.

Some of these could be random monsters, heroes, villains. The artifacts might or might not be important according to what you decide your mystics want.

A specter story i read once had a group trying to take over the spirit of america.

i ask a great deal and offer very little in return, however, much like "mister vimes" became the drug dealer to street criminals in many campaigns of years gone by. I can offer a brief place in history. I mean, i already have an information broker named "hermit" that works out of the new franklin institute in mind...

ces

I am building my own Universe, but your point in well taken and Agribusiness utilizing and studying the rich soil is a good one. I also imagine that even with an area of 42 square miles that land will be at a premium with all the demand. That means you build UP instead of OUT -- especially when there is the opportunity to utilize the new greenspace.

I would think a heck of a city park complete with beautiful statuary and fountains is now a source of pride in Arcadia. I mean, what's the point of all that super soil if you don't try to do a bit of gardening with it :)

Transportation - Maglevs? Smart roadways? The sky is the limit for this model city
-Since Millennium City does not exist in your universe, I would rip a lot of stuff off from it in this and other areas without shame, seeing as there will be no redundancy. Frankly, I dislike the privacy invasion implied in chipped cars that tell everything about their driver, but that's a personal grumble. Can't go wrong with Maglevs. Frankly, I'd add more efficient zeppelins, but then I love me some zeppelins. I'd suggest a bus system that is meant to be 'affordable'.

Education - A new university of Pennsylvania?
- That and at least one more university, to agree with another poster.

Communications - Wireless communications for everyone? Is big brother watching?
- If you do that, just make sure superheroes and villains both have ways around the snooping otherwise it will make it seem unlikely that anyone with a mask could get away with anything. I imagine any land lines are of the newest fiber optics since the old ones would have to be replaced anyway, which means more capacity.

Public Service - What does the fire department and police department look like?
- With the odd chemicals etc below, I can see the Fire Dept being among the most educated in the country and real experts in putting out chemical fires. On the flip side, the police might be relative rookies and while very well equipped, may have been told that image matters for this young city and thus sometime they play soft when they actually NEED to come on a bit harder.

Philadelphia - What became of the old city and the citizens?
- If they've traded places on to another dimension, then my guess is they're either transforming into a 'mad max' kind post apocalyptic existence, or have since been found by the dominant sentient life in the area and are now slaves/food/quarantined/being given aid (Pick your flavor).

Sophia Lasombre - Her heroic father is gone and a decade later the 10 year old became a 20 year old Doctor. How did she get there?
- Got to agree that grants and funds are probably the way to go. Of course, her father, second tier or not, was a genius, and he probably gave her a better education in some subjects than her teachers ever could. Assuming she was listening and similarly bright, she probably spent her life being 'ahead of the curve.'

Ghosts of the Past - There are survivors (directly exposed to the Mutagen, I might add) and a historic district that contains mysteries and early American artifacts like the Liberty Bell.

- If you want to rip off a bit from Project Sunburst, you could have several of the survivors found, but in a coma. They'd be like little empowered rip van wrinkles ready to wake up.

An option that I would recommend is the Cabal' date=' a villain organization from Pulp Hero. They are an alliance of ruthless corporate sharks that banded together to aid one another in the pursuit of greater power and wealth. Updated for the modern superheroic world they would make excellent behind the scenes manipulators and paymasters for all different varieties of threats and complications for your players. You'll find the write-up for the Pulp Era group in Masterminds and Madmen. I hope that's helpful.[/quote']

I really like the idea of the Cabal. I like the idea of it being the continuation of a prior incarnation (going back to the founding of the colonies perhaps).

-Since Millennium City does not exist in your universe' date=' I would rip a lot of stuff off from it in this and other areas without shame, seeing as there will be no redundancy. Frankly, I dislike the privacy invasion implied in chipped cars that tell everything about their driver, but that's a personal grumble. Can't go wrong with Maglevs. Frankly, I'd add more efficient zeppelins, but then I love me some zeppelins. I'd suggest a bus system that is meant to be 'affordable'.[/quote']

I'm thinking low cost public transportation within the city. The cost of building the transportation system will be part of the rebuilding project, so, government contract where the reward is: You built it, you own it. As the public system will be electric powered and the power will be part of the rebuild, fuel costs will be negligible (I'm working out how to make low cost electricity and then watching the city get rich as it sells off electricity to other grids)

- That and at least one more university, to agree with another poster.

University of Pennsylvania and...?

- If you do that, just make sure superheroes and villains both have ways around the snooping otherwise it will make it seem unlikely that anyone with a mask could get away with anything. I imagine any land lines are of the newest fiber optics since the old ones would have to be replaced anyway, which means more capacity.

A city that is completely wireless is not spoof proof. Rebuilding south east Asia has resulted in wireless cities. In our case joining the wireless network will be an option (just like grabbing the a wi-fi connection at Starbucks). Regular Citizens would have no reason not to use it, but a hero or villain might be using their own satellite uplink or tap into the network surreptitiously.

- With the odd chemicals etc below, I can see the Fire Dept being among the most educated in the country and real experts in putting out chemical fires. On the flip side, the police might be relative rookies and while very well equipped, may have been told that image matters for this young city and thus sometime they play soft when they actually NEED to come on a bit harder.

STOLEN! These are two GREAT ideas.

- If they've traded places on to another dimension, then my guess is they're either transforming into a 'mad max' kind post apocalyptic existence, or have since been found by the dominant sentient life in the area and are now slaves/food/quarantined/being given aid (Pick your flavor).

Your mind runs to dark places :)

- Got to agree that grants and funds are probably the way to go. Of course, her father, second tier or not, was a genius, and he probably gave her a better education in some subjects than her teachers ever could. Assuming she was listening and similarly bright, she probably spent her life being 'ahead of the curve.'

And what role does she play? Advocate? the City's favorite daughter? Everyone's kid sister? Protector of the city?

- If you want to rip off a bit from Project Sunburst, you could have several of the survivors found, but in a coma. They'd be like little empowered rip van wrinkles ready to wake up.

I'm a little in love with this idea.

University of Pennsylvania and...?

I'm blanking..I just think there should be another :o

STOLEN! These are two GREAT ideas.

Thank you

Your mind runs to dark places :)

I used to think so, but given that some comics nowadays have the 'heroes' munching down on the population, I feel sort of tame ;)

And what role does she play? Advocate? the City's favorite daughter? Everyone's kid sister? Protector of the city?

Any of those are good.

Frankly, if I were GM, I'd see if any of my players wanted to play her or at least leave the offer open and thus filling the resident scientific genius slot in the group. However, assuming that ain't gonna happen, she'd also make a great NPC patron (Perhaps incognito while she does it) for said super team especially if her father had one or two 'lairs' that were relatively intact.

Not to stereotype the poor gal, but she might also make a fine love interest for a PC as well.

I picture the city's population measuring her more by who she is the daughter of than her own accomplishments sometimes, and that might get on her nerves.

* the players - someone has to rebuild the city

o government - fema is called in, but what next?

Nasa, department of energy, and darpa will all want to go over the surviving area with a fine tooth comb in my opinion. Mostly for the use of new technologies and stuff. Darpa did help build the internet after all.

All great ideas. I particularly like the idea of NASA getting involved and their budget expanding to fill that need.

o business - who invests in this new utopia?

Tons of construction companies, the local duke power/con-ed, maybe the local banks will want to rebuild.

Power companies was not something I'd considered, great idea

o science - there is so much to study here, who gets on board?

Every university on the eastern seaboard, especially schools like mit.

And, considering the cause of the Event, maybe CERN and others that are doing Supercollider research.

o foriegn investments - what nations should have a presence?

Opec nations to channel any energy program away from their interests, or to make oil working a better business than it is now.

Cunning. I like it.

o the villain - what sort of badguy should be invested in this and what secrets has he installed in the city of tomorrow?

Any science based villain like teleios, or dr. Destroyer, might be perfect for an underground base for something like viper, cobra, or hydra

All this has me thinking of three villains working (essentially) in concert: a corporate villain, a science villain, and a genetics villain.

o the illuminati - historic philly remains and we know philadelphia had a history with mystics, what of them?

Something may have been released from some holding area that is building up strength to attack.

That's a brilliant idea. The Masons trapped something in the old part of the city and now it threatens to get out.

o communications - wireless communications for eveyone? Is big brother watching?

Wifi could be extensive. Century station had a city net that could connect to the internet.

As Philadelphia is 5 years into a citywide wifi project already, I don't think a "city-net" is unreasonable at all.

All this has me thinking of three villains working (essentially) in concert: a corporate villain, a science villain, and a genetics villain.

Just a thought, but whether he (or she) is a part of this group or not, you might want to throw in a 'Underworld' type of criminal. Camden sounds like it will be rich with established criminals already (Working in concert with corrupt government officials) which means to get a 'promotion' you'd either have to wait a long long time, or make room via violence etc. I'm sure some bright enterprising young would be kingpin (no relation) will take the third option, and move to Arcadia and try his her/luck there. Adopting a colorful nome de crime and maybe a motif would not just be in genre, it would make sense as he'd want to keep his old bosses in Camden unaware of his identity and full ambitions. If he has powers, all the better, maybe he was formerly an enforcer and now wants to be the boss.

You've already gotten some great stuff, so I'll just touch on a few things either not mentioned yet or mentioned briefly.

Sophia Lasombre: a 20 year-old doctor is very unusual, so obviously she is brilliant. If she is not a PC, she could also be a liaison between the city and the various universities studying the Event / soil / etc. This would put her into regular contact with any techy heroes. And I agree with Hermit that she might get miffed that she's more known as her father's daughter than for her own accomplishments.

Dirigibles: I agree, a must-have. But that's more personal bias than anything else.

Business/Science: With the other-worldly minerals available, I could see several new alloys being developed, so some materials manufacturers would be possible. Perhaps adding a very minute amount of Arcadianite vastly increases the tensile strength of steel, or maybe controlled exposure to Philadelphium gas transforms Earth metals into things like "transparent aluminum" (to borrow from Star Trek).

Communications: If Big Brother is watching via the city-wide infrastructure, you would have various privacy rights groups fighting the city over presence and placement of cameras and microphones during the 10 years of rebuilding. Court battles, some possibly still not resolved. And you can bet some criminal organization like your equivalent of VIPER would sneak their own cameras and sensors all over town, perhaps disguised as the city's stuff.

Infrastructure: Hospitals will be very well equipped, and likely have very strong research ties. They may have quarrantine sections for dealing with exposure to new releases of mutagentic gasses, or other oddities. Or perhaps a small hospital/research institute dedicated specifically to that. "Better take that spontaneous combustion case to Arcadia West."

Other: were there no aliens or creatures at all on this parcel of land that came to our world? Perhaps a small flock of very territorial bird-like creatures, or an animal or two that survived in our atmosphere and are now a unique exhibit in the Arcadia Zoo.

Completely outside the city: Couldn't you see someone building a particle accelerator in a remote location with the goal of replicating the Event?

Sophia Lasombre: a 20 year-old doctor is very unusual' date=' so obviously she is brilliant. If she is not a PC, she could also be a liaison between the city and the various universities studying the Event / soil / etc. This would put her into regular contact with any techy heroes. And I agree with Hermit that she might get miffed that she's more known as her father's daughter than for her own accomplishments.[/quote']

Couple that with anyone who thinks one moment of heroism shouldn't erase &/or let anyone "off the hook" for villainy looking for possible payback against Lasombre's earlier crimes -- and is more than willing to take it out on Sophia since her father's dead. The irony of becoming a criminal/"vigilante" to "get due justice" may or may not be totally lost on such an individual.

Couple that with anyone who thinks one moment of heroism shouldn't erase &/or let anyone "off the hook" for villainy looking for possible payback against Lasombre's earlier crimes -- and is more than willing to take it out on Sophia since her father's dead. The irony of becoming a criminal/"vigilante" to "get due justice" may or may not be totally lost on such an individual.

Ooo, I like that one.

Just a thought' date=' but whether he (or she) is a part of this group or not, you might want to throw in a 'Underworld' type of criminal. Camden sounds like it will be rich with established criminals already (Working in concert with corrupt government officials) which means to get a 'promotion' you'd either have to wait a long long time, or make room via violence etc. I'm sure some bright enterprising young would be kingpin (no relation) will take the third option, and move to Arcadia and try his her/luck there. Adopting a colorful nome de crime and maybe a motif would not just be in genre, it would make sense as he'd want to keep his old bosses in Camden unaware of his identity and full ambitions. If he has powers, all the better, maybe he was formerly an enforcer and now wants to be the boss.[/quote']

So (and I'm creating on the fly here), Doctor Ares is the Kingpin of the Cam, he is in an uneasy alliance with Mayor Cecil Gormand, and Police Chief Kenneth Kreiger (who runs his own outfit in the form of the Cam's Special Crimes Unit). The three of them have their own areas of corruption and crime. With the exception of a few flies in the ointment, they make a killing (pun intended). Then along comes a fast mover, he's not a Sigma class Metahuman, but he has some powers and moves from Soldier to Made Man to Lieutenant in record time. Then he's stuck. He can't take out Doctor Ares and he knows it and he'll never replace Ares's chief adviser, Delphi, so what does he do? He goes to the Crime Tailor and gets a make-over. This guy is a Hit Man with a minor set of Time based powers: He's a pre-cog, he can speed himself up through time maybe (to move fast, maybe a teleport), and he's hard as the devil to hit (because he sees it coming).

Advertising his powers is stupid, so Scott Toth creates an costumed identity that dovetails off of Doctor Ares and he chooses a mythical name (one that will never reveal anything about who is is) and takes on Japanese trappings as Kagaseo, even down to wearing a Noh mask, Hakama, and Kimono. Even his agents do not know that he is white. He even learns fluent Japansese in preparation for his rebellion and fakes his death.

Thoughts?

First thought: attractive redheaded women make me tingle all over

But that thought has nothing to do with what you've written, and is an overshare besides. Let's move on to another thought more pertinent ...

Second Thought: I think it could work. If you plan on having a lot of interaction with Japan (as foreign investors or what have you) that could either be a source he can use if he's very good (He can even fool the Yakuzza etc) or if he's not so good, they might expose him. If there aren't that many who can blow his cover, it's not a problem at all. If your PCs are big fans of Japanese touches in their superheroing, they'll probably love it. I'm not the biggest fan of the East Asian cultures (Nothing against, just not as big a draw for me as some of my fellow geeks) but there's no denying a lot of rich lore waiting to be mined there. I do think the visuals of the costume you'd described would look pretty darn awesome as he turns to face the heroes who've intruded on his domain.

First thought: attractive redheaded women make me tingle all over

But that thought has nothing to do with what you've written, and is an overshare besides. Let's move on to another thought more pertinent ...

Second Thought: I think it could work. If you plan on having a lot of interaction with Japan (as foreign investors or what have you) that could either be a source he can use if he's very good (He can even fool the Yakuzza etc) or if he's not so good, they might expose him. If there aren't that many who can blow his cover, it's not a problem at all. If your PCs are big fans of Japanese touches in their superheroing, they'll probably love it. I'm not the biggest fan of the East Asian cultures (Nothing against, just not as big a draw for me as some of my fellow geeks) but there's no denying a lot of rich lore waiting to be mined there. I do think the visuals of the costume you'd described would look pretty darn awesome as he turns to face the heroes who've intruded on his domain.

I like the idea of this guy getting where he is by never making a mistake. Even with his powers he would be a small fry if it wasn't for his ability to get things done perfectly (he even may be a little OCD). Attached is what I have in mind. The outer coat and pants will be red and the undergaments black. The Noh mask will be as presented

Japan%20Noh%20Mask-a.jpg

kamishimo.gif

Sophia Lasombre: a 20 year-old doctor is very unusual' date=' so obviously she is brilliant. If she is not a PC, she could also be a liaison between the city and the various universities studying the Event / soil / etc. This would put her into regular contact with any techy heroes. And I agree with Hermit that she might get miffed that she's more known as her father's daughter than for her own accomplishments.[/quote']

I like it. I am thinking if no one plays her I will make her a Metahuman with lower end powers (like her dad) and lots of brains (which means she'll still have plenty of points spent).

Dirigibles: I agree, a must-have. But that's more personal bias than anything else.

I love them too. I can only really think of one use and that's as -- I'm getting excited by this -- mobile police stations. Imagine them floating over the city with cops assigned mini-copters or flight-packs!

Business/Science: With the other-worldly minerals available, I could see several new alloys being developed, so some materials manufacturers would be possible. Perhaps adding a very minute amount of Arcadianite vastly increases the tensile strength of steel, or maybe controlled exposure to Philadelphium gas transforms Earth metals into things like "transparent aluminum" (to borrow from Star Trek).

And THAT was the hook I was looking for. How does Arcadia have so many amazing super skyscrapers and build so strong and flexible? Arcadianite!

Communications: If Big Brother is watching via the city-wide infrastructure, you would have various privacy rights groups fighting the city over presence and placement of cameras and microphones during the 10 years of rebuilding. Court battles, some possibly still not resolved. And you can bet some criminal organization like your equivalent of VIPER would sneak their own cameras and sensors all over town, perhaps disguised as the city's stuff.

I'm thinking of backing off the big brother angle. I am looking for Metropolis here. Invasion of privacy seems much more suited to the Cam.

Infrastructure: Hospitals will be very well equipped, and likely have very strong research ties. They may have quarrantine sections for dealing with exposure to new releases of mutagentic gasses, or other oddities. Or perhaps a small hospital/research institute dedicated specifically to that. "Better take that spontaneous combustion case to Arcadia West."

Now that was something I hadn't considered. I like it. Emergency response vehicles would also be state of the art and people from all over the country would get transported there for exceptional medical cases.

Other: were there no aliens or creatures at all on this parcel of land that came to our world? Perhaps a small flock of very territorial bird-like creatures, or an animal or two that survived in our atmosphere and are now a unique exhibit in the Arcadia Zoo.

Brilliant! That would be fun.

Completely outside the city: Couldn't you see someone building a particle accelerator in a remote location with the goal of replicating the Event?

You're a cruel person. Yes, once the genie is out of the box...

That's very DC Comics. I like it. Puts me in mind of the most recent Green Arrow and Black Canary series.

So, right off the top of my head, a pair of "Bonny and Clyde" style lovers, Justice Irrenanstalt and Mercy Cross, decide to become vigilates: Mercy and Justice. I am thinking black and white costumes (White for Justice and Black for Mercy). They will be insane, maybe more like "Natural Born Killers," and be gadget based. Guns and traps.

Thoughts?