A whole new body

ShadowEater

A player in our group is trying to build a 'mummy like' character who, amongst other powers, can be resurrected by a ritual in her tomb. We built it as a (regeneration or healing UBO, not decided yet), with a triggered teleport to the tomb.

We struggled with two aspects, the second more than the first.

1) How do we signify that the old body is left behind on the resurrection/teleport? I ventured to say it was SFX or a -0 limitation...

2) How do we make sure the 'new body' has nothing held over from the old one... IE: transformations/drains/diseases/poisons/whatever that would reasonably be 'left behind' in the old body don't somehow show up after the rebirth. A broad Dispel: any lingering effects? A transform (body to fresh new body)?

Re: A whole new body

1) How do we signify that the old body is left behind on the resurrection/teleport? I ventured to say it was SFX or a -0 limitation...

Well does the player have to find a new body before the ritual can go down or does another one just apear?

2) How do we make sure the 'new body' has nothing held over from the old one... IE: transformations/drains/diseases/poisons/whatever that would reasonably be 'left behind' in the old body don't somehow show up after the rebirth. A broad Dispel: any lingering effects? A transform (body to fresh new body)?

If the awnser to #1 is that they have to find a replacement body, then i would say that you should make a forensics roll mixed with some funky kinda enhanced vision (my guess would be N-Vision for magical abnormalities) to see if there are any flaws with the body that need fixing before the ritual. If the awnser is that a new body just appears then i would say dont worry about it, as that is just the special effect of the power.

Help at all?

A player in our group is trying to build a 'mummy like' character who, amongst other powers, can be resurrected by a ritual in her tomb. We built it as a (regeneration or healing UBO, not decided yet), with a triggered teleport to the tomb.

We struggled with two aspects, the second more than the first.

I'm not even sure you need the Teleport.

Does the new body retain memories from the old? Right up to the point of death?

How about possessions, including Foci?

Experience points? Or Skills or abilities bought with XP?

How about Aids, blessings, or other beneficial effects?

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

On death, her soul returns to the Underworld... but it is bound to her tomb and can be reborn there, retaining any XP, memories, etc. right up to the point of death. It is her body that reappears, not an old one. Aids and blessings of a physical nature would not transfer, though ones of a mystical nature might (just like drains of a mystical nature might). Focuses do NOT transfer, which is an issue for the character (you guys grabbed my magic staff, right?).

By 'leaving a body' I mean that, unlike normal teleportation there is a corpse left behind. A benefit in someways: easier to trick people that you have died... also a hindrance: easier to identify who just teleported away. That is why I thought it was a -0 limitation wash.

Well the big question I have about the old body is, can it be used against the mummy in the new body? If rare than yeah sfx/ -0 if not then you can simmulate it with a disadvantage. Is she getting any new powers, or just a new body? If it is a new body, then I'd say regeneration-resurrection would be fine. Or if someone wanted to be really picky, then its a major transform-old dead body to new living body. I think though an interesting side effect could be failed magic roll, then the body has someform of defect in it. It could be random, or something carried over from the last body. Also note, you wouldn't have to have it at the same value. I'm thinking of a lesser value to remind the mummy where the parts came from. Example, perhaps the last body became blind, the mummy regen but fails the roll. Instead of blindness again, perhaps poor eysight with only -1 or 2 sight per rolls?

The body could potentially be used in sympathetic magic I suppose (it has been a high-magic campaign for a superhero genre), but probably not enough to warrant a limitation. No 'new' powers, just a fresh new body. Transforms and long term drains are probably the two big things to look at, the resurrection process takes a while and normal drains and the like would have worn off due to time... but any drain with a longer than 1 day effect will have to be dealt with somehow in the resurrection process and transforms are sometimes difficult to undue... the transform: person into blind person won't often just undo itself just because you have died :)

Something based on Summon or Duplication might be a better fit. Check this out:

My Tomb is My Womb: (Total: 155 Active Cost, 33 Real Cost) Duplication (creates 500-point form), Cannot Recombine (-0), No Averaging (-0), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Character's death; +1/4) (125 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, One day for new body to generate; -2 1/4), OIF Immobile (-1 1/2) (Real Cost: 26) plus

Mind Link , One Specific Mind, No LOS Needed, Psychic Bond, Unlimited range in this dimension and can reach into other dimensions (30 Active Points); Sense only for use with one Triggered Power (-2), IIF Immobile (-1 1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

Of course, the Trigger has to be set in the tomb, and the character will have to return to tomb to reset it from time to time, since it will always create a duplicate based on the last time it was set.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedaries in triplicate

And then... buy a limited Regeneration (with Resurrection) 'only to rebuild duplicant'?

No.

When the Prime character dies, the Duplication Power is triggered. Because it has "No Averaging" it doesn't matter what happend to the Original (damage, Transform, whatever.) The Duplicate doesn't need to be "Regenerated" because it comes into being whole and at full power.

Of course, one of the first things you'll want to do after resurrection (but not Resurrection, the Power) is buy more Duplicates, but that's only 5 more base points. That's one reason I bought the Duplicate with such a high point total - that and to hopefully cover the Original's Experience (although it would take a "handwave" to allow anything on the Duplicate that wasn't present in the Original last time the Trigger was set.)

edit: One thing you might want to add, though, is some kind of Retrocognition to get the Duplicate "up to speed" on things that happened since the last "set" time.

Lucius Alexander

Unregenerate palindromedary

Something like this....

Memory: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Hearing, Mental And Sight Groups), Rapid: Remember a thousand days in a single day: x1,000 (69 Active Points); IIF Immobile (-1 1/4), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Retrocognition Only (-1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances: Death; -3/4), Linked (My Tomb is My Womb; -1/2), Blackout (-1/2), Only Through The Senses Of Prior "Incarnation" (-1/2), Inaccurate (Only about as accurate as memory ever is; -1/4), Side Effects (Mystical curses or the like that affected prior "incarnation" effect this one too; -1/4) Real Cost: 10

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Lucius is on a roll

I think the regeneration is there to allow him to do it again without having to save up the points for a new duplicate

(what are the rules for duplication, when the primary individual is killed, anyway?)

The king is dead! Long live the king!

If a Duplicate or the base character is killed,

the others cannot revive him by recombining

— he stays dead; the character has lost a part of

himself. (The dead Duplicate could be Resurrected,

however.) If he later spends points to buy

more Duplicates, calculate the additional number

as if the death(s) had not occurred. For example,

suppose a character has eight Duplicates. One

Duplicate is killed. If the character pays another

+5 Character Points to double the number of

Duplicates he has, he now has 15 — the 16 he’d

ordinarily have for paying +20 Character Points,

minus the one who died.

If necessary, I might put a Limitation (perhaps -0) on the Duplication, that only one exists at a time.

Lucius Alexander

I've lost track of how many palindromedaries there are.....some are Duplicating in the wild

One thing that I would want to know before I even started to worry about this spell. What genre is this character being built for? If it's for Champions, what real use is the power as the character is very unlikely to use it (unless it's a rusty, jagged, toasted Iron Age Champions game where the PC's die all of the time). If she's being built for a Heroic level game then I would worry about writing the thing up.

Actually I would write it up as a spell that others learn that when cast with enough others present and helping the cast. The character is resurrected in a new body. You could put it into a focus that anyone could use like a special staff.

Resurrection at Temple Ritual: (Total: 245 Active Cost, 31 Real Cost)

Summon 400-point creatures, Specific Being ("The Character"; +1) (160 Active Points); 1 Charge which Recovers every 1 Season (-3 1/2), Extra Time (6 Hours, Only to Activate, -1 3/4), Required Multiple Users ([9-16] people; "Worshippers"; -1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (3d6 str 2d6 con drain; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Old Body is left behind, New body is created; -0) (Real Cost: 17)

plus

Healing BODY 6d6, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (85 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 3/4), Required Multiple Users ([9-16] people; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (3d6 body, 3d6 stun drain; -1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14)

This gives you the being pulled into the temple and the being healed up.

Again for a champions character this is really a flavor power that isn't really worth worrying about much since Champions characters tend to not die.

I imagine the costing has to be totally redon' date=' if the Base character (that got killed) is significantly different from the surviving Duplicate(s)[/quote']

Why would they be anything but identical?

Lucius Alexander

and a herd of identical palindromedaries

Concepts - e.g. character called Man For All Seasons duplicates into 4 characters each representing a season. What happens when (say) Summer dies?

Horrible things to the global weather patterns he draws his powers from? I would probably buy a

Healing BODY 1d6, Resurrection (30 Active Points); Resurrection Only (-1/2), Limited Power Duplicants Only (-1/2)

or some such power for each Duplicant. I have done so before on duplicants that couldn't reasonably be killed without killing the original.