Online Champions games... anyone seen/played them?

Wheeljack

Lacking an in-person gaming group, I do a lot of play-by-post and chat based/Maptools gaming. One thing I don't see is anyone playing Champions/Hero System... There was one game on RPG.net that collapsed twice before actually starting.

Granted, a more streamlined system can be useful for online play, but automated die rollers can make one of the bigger issues with Hero (Counting 10+ dice in two ways) go away instantly. MapTools in particular can be programmed with a lot of macros to speed play.

Any success stories? Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Re: Online Champions games... anyone seen/played them?

Check out HERO Central. It has dice rollers built in that can count normal and killing damage and has dozens of active games in all different genres.

Specifically, here: http://www.herocentral.net/home.htm;jsessionid=aUms6IXNuxth

(They ought to put a link to Hero Central back on the forums page.)

I run a Champions game every other Saturday morning, using Second Life to gather my group. If you don't know SL, check it out at www.secondlife.com. If anyone's interested in a game that involves superheroes played through different comic book/historical ages, PM me. We're currently in the Pulp ASge, getting ready in a few adventures, to advance to the Golden Age.

I've been in a couple play-by-post games that fizzled, and one fairly long-running one that I'm having a blast with. However we approach it more like collaborative writing and don't really use the rulebook much. And even then our GM waves her hands a lot. ;) We haven't used Maptools yet, but I'd like to try it.

As discussed in another ongoing thread, earlier this year I GMed a Maptool/Skype Champions 6th Ed game that only lasted for a few months before my computer self-destructed. Having replaced the equipment, I intend to start another, hopefully more enduring, at the end of the year and have been working on tools and entering maps and data in preparation for the same.

Quick question Epi, Will it be the same open draw (I.E. Freedom of character creation given to the players. rather then "Your all mutants, your all aliens, your all members of shield). I have a nice character ive been wanting to run in a supers game. (not a crappy one like chitin, I think im done with that idea until im a much better roleplayer.) but he requires a rather open setting. Having a localized game wouldn't hurt either (IE less globe trotting, more staying in/around millennium city. I never liked justice league style games, It feels so impersonal and heartless to hover above everything else. Never interacting with the community nor getting to see the charges and difference your making. You just march from Honor tower every-time doctor destroyer threatens the world Yet again, then go back to your pit of solitude until next session.)