Electro Magnetic Pulse

AirborneRob

Re: Electro Magnetic Pulse

I like a Transform (severe) with Partial Transformation, with the 'healing condition' being appropriate repairs.

Thus the EMP has the potential to completely shut down things, or just impair their functioning if you don't roll enough BODY... cinematic EMP seems to have the capability of doing both. It has the added benefit of already using Power Defense (which seems appropriate to me), AND only affecting electronics (IE: Limited Target) is more clearly identified... no paying extra like the dispel!

The RKA is definitely a good way to go as well though.

Transform is an option and i do like the aspect of Power Defense to reflect a system that is hardened against EMP. Im going to leave it as a RKA for the time being until the GM can look at it and see which way it should go.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From your description of the character, I'd personally, skip the realistic approach (and its minor details) and go with the comic book/action movie approach. This way, there is less argument with the GM and continues the feel of most campaigns.

Whether the GM allows you to wipe hard disks or not, to me, is just a trivial side effect better suited for role playing than working as a power.

But then again, I've found that I have had fun making these little side effect things with points from a purely sadistic GM point of view.

Like pretty much everything with the HERO system there are multiple valid approaches.

An unusual one you might consider is Change Environment. An EMP is a real world phenomena that has real environmental effects. It can be destructive in various circumstances to some things but not others, just as a windstorm or extreme temperature can be.

Change Environment also supports the ability to selectively purchase various tangential effects as part of the base power limiting or removing the need to build a complex linked power.

The GM should simply define what effect an EMP has objectively at various levels of effect and a sample power effect. Existing environmental effects can serve as a guide for this. Then characters that have an ability to cause or modify EM fields purchase a version of CE to model the desired magnitude.

I just wanted to have my say as a GM as to what I think about the power esp as written up as an RKA. Done that way it's a focus killer plain and simple. I shouldn't have attacked you as a player for wanting such a thing seeing as it does fit your character's power concept.

a 32m cone will be trivializing most of the high tech mooks you would run into as a Superhero. (Viper agents carry blasters and other energy technological weapons). Also, things like Powered Armor suits the opposition will have would also be damaged if not destroyed. It's a power with wide ranging campaign consequences, and almost no downside for the player.

I just wanted to have my say as a GM as to what I think about the power esp as written up as an RKA. Done that way it's a focus killer plain and simple. I shouldn't have attacked you as a player for wanting such a thing seeing as it does fit your character's power concept.

a 32m cone will be trivializing most of the high tech mooks you would run into as a Superhero. (Viper agents carry blasters and other energy technological weapons). Also, things like Powered Armor suits the opposition will have would also be damaged if not destroyed. It's a power with wide ranging campaign consequences, and almost no downside for the player.

It can be extremely potent and i respect your input and concerns. The factors for whether or not it should be allowed really starts with the needs of the campaign. If there will be alot of high tech encounters than the EMP should be limited accordingly as it does fit the original concept and should not be dismissed out of hand. If the GM really thinks it would disrupt the campaign significantly than i would do my part and eliminate/shelve the concept. With the amount of RP experience i have under my belt i am all about the needs of the campaign vs. the desire to introduce a power concept. The character concept provides ample room for power creativity while at the same time avoiding potentially troublesome powers. Lol, what may sound interesting to me may not sit well with my GM and we both understand the give and take of concept powers. As a GM myself, if someone wanted something similar for his concept, i would sit down and think about the big campaign picture. If i know that my game will have a majority of high tech encounters, then i can adjust the power accordingly so it does not create a problem and i can also adjust the encounters to allow it to have some effect while making sure it does not shut down the encounter in one shot. The bottom line is if you have an idea for a power that fits with the theme of the character, by all means write it up and we sit down and look at it.

As an aside, EMP's are given special treatment in my MetaCyber setting.

For purposes of MetaCyber, I treat EMP as an Environmental effect. Effects that have an EMP aspect, which can be attached to any effect via sufficient justification, must take a +1 Advantage.

SPECIAL CONSIDERATION

In general when using a "Universal" rule set such as the HERO System, some Powers can have a greater than usual effect in a given setting, either due to some intrinsic feature specific to them or else due to the nature of the setting, and should be given special consideration. This is particularly true of a strongly themed setting such as MetaCyber.

The following section discusses some abilities that should be leashed to prevent them from dominating a given campaign played in the MetaCyber setting. Individual GM's might choose to ignore, alter, or extended these guidlines as they see fit so check with your GM before making a character that has abilities of this nature.

CYBERKINESIS

Due to the overwhelming prevalence and importance of technology and cybernetics, all powers that revolve around controlling or altering them are of far greater relevance in a MetaCyber campaign than they would be in most campaigns. Such Powers are available and can make for a very memorable and powerful character, but to help keep them in check they must all take a special Advantage as described below.

CYBERKINESIS

CYBERKINESIS: +1 Advantage: Powers with this Advantage are unusually relevant and capable in a technology oriented setting.

EMP

Similar to Cyberkinesis, Powers with the SFX of "EMP", Electro-Magnetism, or similar have an unusually potent effect in a setting were a substantial portion of the population have cybernetics or other advanced electronics systems that are wiped out by exposure to strong Electro-Magnetics. To keep such Powers in check, they must take a special Advantage described below.

ELECTRO MAGNETIC PULSE

EMP: +1 Advantage: Powers with this Advantage produce Electro-Magnetic energy which disrupts or damages many forms of cybernetics and advanced electronics.

FOCI BUSTERS

This is not a SFX per se, but rather a concept of Powers specifically intended to destroy Foci, such as Ranged Killing Attacks with small dice of effect and multiple levels of Penetrating. Such abilities are lame metagame constructs to begin with, but they are particularly broken in a gear-laden setting such as MetaCyber. The following House Rule is assumed to be in effect, though obviously individual GM's might differ:

ANTI FOCI BUSTING

All Foci used for Defensive or Melee purposes are considered to be DURABLE unless they specifically have the FRAGILE modifier.

Foci and other inanimate objects are considered to have unlimited levels of Hardened for purposes of resisting Penetrating and Indirect, but not Armor Piercing (AP). However the SFX of AP Attacks should be considered on a case by case basis to determine if it is appropriate for them to reduce the DEF of an object or Foci.

It also effects electronics devices as you would expect based upon the common cinematic portrayal of EMP pulses; gear / non-point-paid-for abilities are vulnerable to this if it seems appropriate. Paid for stuff isn't unless it takes Restrainable by EMP as a limitation. Cybernetics is perhaps the most critical place where this comes into play, as characters must pay for cybernetics with character points directly (and also pay monetary costs).

From Cybernetics Design

RESTRAINABLE (BY EMP)

Cybernetic devices that are Restrainable by EMP's are shorted out by Electro Magnetic Pulses and similar effects. Mild EMP's might only cause them to short out for a little while (a combat scene for example) until they can be reset, but stronger EMP's can require significant repairs to undo, and particularly strong EMP's can simply fry such devices completely and thus require them to be uninstalled and replaced with new ones.

At the GM's discretion, Cybernetic devices that have been shorted out and reset or repaired might acquire Activation Rolls (with no return in points to the character) indicating that their circuitry is damaged and no longer completely reliable.

Like pretty much everything with the HERO system there are multiple valid approaches.

An unusual one you might consider is Change Environment. An EMP is a real world phenomena that has real environmental effects. It can be destructive in various circumstances to some things but not others, just as a windstorm or extreme temperature can be.

Change Environment also supports the ability to selectively purchase various tangential effects as part of the base power limiting or removing the need to build a complex linked power.

The GM should simply define what effect an EMP has objectively at various levels of effect and a sample power effect. Existing environmental effects can serve as a guide for this. Then characters that have an ability to cause or modify EM fields purchase a version of CE to model the desired magnitude.

Hmm. Good point. I certainly wouldn't feel bad about a CE messing with "real" equipment that wasn't purchased with points. I suppose you could assume that powers bought without some kind of Limitation making them vulnerable to strong electromagnetic fields/pulses aren't particularly susceptible to them (i.e. are shielded so a RKA or Dispel or whatever WOULD be necessary to disrupt such superpowers), and that appropriate electronics-based powers will take some kind of Limitation (either a specific one or some kind of "Real Equipment" type thing).

As an aside' date=' EMP's are given special treatment in my [b']MetaCyber[/b] setting.

For purposes of MetaCyber, I treat EMP as an Environmental effect. Effects that have an EMP aspect, which can be attached to any effect via sufficient justification, must take a +1 Advantage.

It also effects electronics devices as you would expect based upon the common cinematic portrayal of EMP pulses; gear / non-point-paid-for abilities are vulnerable to this if it seems appropriate. Paid for stuff isn't unless it takes Restrainable by EMP as a limitation. Cybernetics is perhaps the most critical place where this comes into play, as characters must pay for cybernetics with character points directly (and also pay monetary costs).

Im intrigued, how would you write up an EMP as a CE? I understand enough about EM to understand why it frags electronics and the RKA seemed to effectively "kill" said equipment. If there is a more realistic application that can be done with a CE i'd love to see it. More importantly, as a CE, can it accomplish the things i see an EMP doing without it necessarily turning into a Foci buster which was never the intent in the first place. Also, maybe create a different one at the same time that could be effective if confronted with power armor or some such. My bottom line is to write it up so that it's not a balance issue but also effective. The EMP by no means needs to be a one shot one kill effect, but it should be functional enough to both fit the concept of the character and have a noticable effect.

6E2 has expansive coverage on various environmental effects. The basic format is "this environmental concept does something, because that's kind of how it works in reality", backed up with some HERO System effects when there is a damaging element, perception modifiers, and or force exertion.

Simply state a descriptive treatment of an EMP and cite some game effects, such as:

The term electromagnetic pulse (sometimes abbreviated EMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation that results from an explosion (particularly from the detonation of a nuclear weapon) and/or a suddenly fluctuating magnetic field. The resulting rapidly changing electric or magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges that can harm or short out such systems. Electromagnetic pulses can be localized, or in the case of nuclear generated EMP's affect quite a large area.

An EMP inflicts damage to unshielded electronic devices, inflicts PER penalties on the Radio Group and similar senses based on radio waves such as HRRP, over an area. These effects are pervasive, do not require line of sight, and are not stopped by most walls or physical structures, but anything that blocks or impedes wavelength penetration (most commonly, contiguous metallic surfaces) can reduce or block the effects of an EMP.

Unshielded Equipment and other "mundane" items are affected by EMP's, per GM discretion. Powers paid for with Character Points are not normally affected by environmental EMP's even when their SFX indicate they should be, unless they have some form of "Real" Limitation or a specific Limitation such as "Affected by Electromagnetic Pulses" (typically a -1/4) or "Not in strong magnetic fields".

The Change Environment Power can be used to simulate these effects.

Cinematic treatments of EMP with a more extreme effect should use specific Powers such Dispel vs Electronics, limited Killing Attacks, Flash vs Radio-based Senses, or similar abilities.

Electromagnetic Shielding:

Electromagnetic shielding is the process of reducing the electromagnetic field in a space by blocking the field with barriers made of conductive and/or magnetic materials. Shielding is typically applied to enclosures to isolate electrical devices from the 'outside world' and to cables to isolate wires from the environment through which the cable runs. Electromagnetic shielding that blocks radio frequency electromagnetic radiation is also known as RF shielding.

The shielding can reduce the coupling of radio waves, electromagnetic fields and electrostatic fields, though not static or low-frequency magnetic fields (a conductive enclosure used to block electrostatic fields is also known as a Faraday cage). The amount of reduction depends very much upon the material used, its thickness, the size of the shielded volume and the frequency of the fields of interest and the size, shape and orientation of apertures in a shield to an incident electromagnetic field.

6E2 has expansive coverage on various environmental effects. The basic format is "this environmental concept does something, because that's how it works in reality", backed up with some HERO System effects when there is a damaging element, perception modifiers, and or force exertion.

Simply state a descriptive treatment of an EMP and cite some game effects, such as:

The term electromagnetic pulse (sometimes abbreviated EMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation that results from an explosion (particularly from the detonation of a nuclear weapon) and/or a suddenly fluctuating magnetic field. The resulting rapidly changing electric or magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges that can harm or short out such systems. Electromagnetic pulses can be localized, or in the case of nuclear generated EMP's affect quite a large area.

An EMP inflicts damage to unshielded electronic devices, inflicts PER penalties on the Radio Group and similar senses based on radio waves such as HRRP, over an area. These effects are pervasive, do not require line of sight, and are not stopped by most walls or physical structures, but anything that blocks or impedes wavelength penetration (most commonly, contiguous metallic surfaces) can reduce or block the effects of an EMP.

The Change Environment Power can be used to simulate these effects.

Cinematic treatments of EMP with a more extreme effect should use specific Powers such Dispel vs Electronics, limited Killing Attacks, Flash vs Radio-based Senses, or similar abilities.

Electromagnetic Shielding:

Electromagnetic shielding is the process of reducing the electromagnetic field in a space by blocking the field with barriers made of conductive and/or magnetic materials. Shielding is typically applied to enclosures to isolate electrical devices from the 'outside world' and to cables to isolate wires from the environment through which the cable runs. Electromagnetic shielding that blocks radio frequency electromagnetic radiation is also known as RF shielding.

The shielding can reduce the coupling of radio waves, electromagnetic fields and electrostatic fields, though not static or low-frequency magnetic fields (a conductive enclosure used to block electrostatic fields is also known as a Faraday cage). The amount of reduction depends very much upon the material used, its thickness, the size of the shielded volume and the frequency of the fields of interest and the size, shape and orientation of apertures in a shield to an incident electromagnetic field.

Ok, i think i got the basic jist of what you posted. As far as electronic equipment goes the CE could inflict, as an example, 2-3 points of damage which would probably be enough to fry your run of the mill computer and other minor electronic devices. 5-6 to shut down a vehicle's electronics and keep it as an AoE but instead of a cone, make it a radius explosion so the damage drops off over distance. It might also inflict a DEX penalty to anyone in proximity to remain standing, maybe something similar to being affected by a taser or some such. Is that more along the line of where you're going?

If you Dispel a power that's bought with a Focus you break that focus so it will require repairs.

Plus you only really need to buy AOE and Variable Effect +1/2 to affect every electronic device in an area.

If a focus has multiple, individual not frameworked, electronic powers you would technically only dispel one of those powers, probably the one with the largest active points, but I believe the focus would still be broken and the other powers unusable.

Just a thought.

I don't think so. My understanding is that without also enough Expanded Effect to cover any and every power in the category of SFX you'd have to choose what kind of Power or Characteristic to affect with each use of the Dispel. For example, one Phase you might affect electronics-based Flight. The next Phase you might affect electronics-based Resistant Protection (e.g. force fields?). The next Phase you might affect electronics-based Strength (e.g. servo-motors). You would not have the option of saying, "I want to affect whatever electronics based power (or power(s)) each target has." This makes SFX-based Adjustment powers pretty damn worthless in 6E in my opinion unless they are bought with the +4 worth of Advantages and permission from the GM to make that cover all powers of the given SFX.

For cases when Focus-breaking RKA/Dispel type powers may be considered too potent' date=' consider Drain/Suppress instead. That should create similar but less destructive effects (despite likely being even more expensive in terms of Active Points).[/quote']

Yea, Drains could also be a good option for the character concept. Maybe create a energy siphoning ability to drain END for tech based abilities/foci.

The best way for the GM to retain control of an EMP power - well - retain control of how powerful it is in effect - is to build it with CE or even Images, and ensure that anything that is vulnerable to an EMP is built with a corresponding physical limitation.

That may sound like a lot of work, but it isn't necessarily so: I assume that pretty much every piece of equipment with the 'real' limitation is going to be affected by an EMP, if it should be in reality and I also assume that a 'standard' EMP built that way will not have much effect on point-bought equipment. That would mean that you could have a character with an EMP who is effective at taking down agents armed with standard equipment, but the power armoured supervillain will be all:

Bwahahahaha! You thought your little toy would stop ME in my tracks? This suit is far too sophisticated for that!

Of course you can then buy a drain v tech equipment and hit the suit with that - BUT you are paying a lot more - which is as it should be.

As Killer Shrike points out, in Hero there are many different ways to build 'equipment' and so there necessarily has to be a range of ways of attacking it.

For example you could obtain a 'standard' mobile phone that the GM does not require XP expenditure for (it would be odd if you had to gain XP before upgrading your phone) - and that will be something built (if you bothered) with the 'real' limitation, and would be taken out by an EMP, however generated - even by Images.

You could have a power built through a focus - say a power suit, built as OIF - you can remove it out of combat but not otherwise. Any damage that targets the suit will damage or remove powers because that is how a focus works.

Then you could have a power suit which, although it can be removed, never seems to be in practice - and you build that as OIHID/OIAI. That does not follow the 'Focus rules' (although it costs the same as IIF) and so is not damaged by being targeted, unless the GM rules otherwise - it can only (by strict rule application) be 'damaged' with adjustment powers.

All of that means that you either need to build a range of solutions (unfortunate, as you can never be entirely sure how the thing you want to attack is built), or just go with adjustment powers (which work with every build but are expensive). The only other way round it is define how technology is built in your game, and stick with that, perhaps even coming up with a custom modifier 'technology'.

One other thing - I like to use Life Support for a LOT of stuff beyond the standard rules, and if you have a lot of EMP type attacks in the game, I'd probably allow a new LS: EMP as a defence for NND type EMP attacks.

I don't think so. My understanding is that without also enough Expanded Effect to cover any and every power in the category of SFX you'd have to choose what kind of Power or Characteristic to affect with each use of the Dispel. For example' date=' one Phase you might affect electronics-based Flight. The next Phase you might affect electronics-based Resistant Protection (e.g. force fields?). The next Phase you might affect electronics-based Strength (e.g. servo-motors). You would [i']not[/i] have the option of saying, "I want to affect whatever electronics based power (or power(s)) each target has." This makes SFX-based Adjustment powers pretty damn worthless in 6E in my opinion unless they are bought with the +4 worth of Advantages and permission from the GM to make that cover all powers of the given SFX.

Yes, I think you are right.

I don't think so. My understanding is that without also enough Expanded Effect to cover any and every power in the category of SFX you'd have to choose what kind of Power or Characteristic to affect with each use of the Dispel. For example' date=' one Phase you might affect electronics-based Flight. The next Phase you might affect electronics-based Resistant Protection (e.g. force fields?). The next Phase you might affect electronics-based Strength (e.g. servo-motors). You would [i']not[/i] have the option of saying, "I want to affect whatever electronics based power (or power(s)) each target has." This makes SFX-based Adjustment powers pretty damn worthless in 6E in my opinion unless they are bought with the +4 worth of Advantages and permission from the GM to make that cover all powers of the given SFX.

Mmm...I think you are right. Though I disagree that the cost is too high.

Can an EMP or field cause a "short circuit" in people similar to being tased? And if so' date=' would it act as a characteristic check to remain standing?[/quote']

I don't believe so, but I'm not an expert. My understanding of EMP's is that they affect electrical systems.

I don't believe so' date=' but I'm not an expert. My understanding of EMP's is that they affect electrical systems.[/quote']

Lol, yea, im not sure myself. At my level of understanding regarding EMP, it disrupts an active electric circuit either temporarily or permanently. I know that the human body has processes that are bio-electrical but once again, im no expert.