6e Question Power on Conditional Power Modifier

djkester

What I want to create is:

A race that has regeneration which is disrupted by Silver Weapon attacks. After being attacked and hit by a Silver Weapon the regeneration power doesn't work for a limited time.

My thinking:

Power Does not work in an uncommon Circumstances because people don't normally have Silvered weapons. (-1/4)

However, what I don't really know how to model is the duration of the effect.

If the power can't be used for a round, hour, or day.

Oh HS6E Gurus, please impart your wisdom.

~Dave

Re: 6e Question Power on Conditional Power Modifier

You could say it's worth a -1/4 for every step down the time chart you push the Regeneration not work.

IF you buy Regen 1 REC/Turn; Not Vs Silver Weapons for 1 Hour (-3/4); which is to say -1/4 for Not vs Silver and -1/2 For One Hour.

But it may not even be worth that much.

My thinking is to have toolkit the race as having the regeneration you want, but have a susceptible complication. Instead of STUN dam, you take drain damage enough to turn it off for the time frame you want. The book says you replace each d6 of STUN dam with 10 active pts of another attack (1d6 drain).

For a limitation, I'd give it either a -1/4 or -1/2 and define a time limit it is turned off if hit with silver.

Thanks, these are both good ideas.

I like the increasing the disadvantage based on the time frame of the effect. I can imagine this would work for a lot of situations. I also agree it might be not worth that much. I'll have to look further into coming up with a rule of thumb for that and get more feedback here on the forums.

I also like the idea of the power being drained. I'm not sure how that will work in this case but I will look through the rules to figure out how to model that as well.

dave

I think the "not vs silver" limitation has been used before on Regen' date=' and the rule was that the character had to heal normally (REC/month) from that damage.[/quote']

In this case do you remember the value of the limitation applied to the Regen Power? I can think that this could be summed up as a limitation on the power, "Only works against damage not done by silver weapons?" This seems pretty limiting in cases where the Regen is a racial attribute that is known to the general public. Which is the case for the race I'm creating

In this case do you remember the value of the limitation applied to the Regen Power? I can think that this could be summed up as a limitation on the power' date=' "Only works against damage not done by silver weapons?" This seems pretty limiting in cases where the Regen is a racial attribute that is known to the general public. Which is the case for the race I'm creating[/quote']

For Werewolves I believe it was -1/2 because it was common knowledge not because silver weapons were common.

Regeneration is a Persistent Power, which means it can be deactivated, under the right circumstances.

So, put a Limitation on it: Deactivates When User Damaged With Silver (value to be set by the GM, suggest -1/4 for uncommon or -1/2 for common circumstances, such as if he's a werewolf or otherwise a lot of people know to use silver on him). Also apply Extra Time, which value is halved because it's a Persistent Power, to represent the amount of time the Regeneration is inactive for. Possibly, put a Trigger on it so that whenever it is deactivated, it automatically attempts to reactivate (and runs afoul of Extra Time).

Thanks for all the help guys. I had asked the question when I was using the Hero Designer to build the power. Now that I have been reading in the rule book I see several examples of how to build the power. These additional ideas are also helpful. Thanks and for future reference i'll go to the book first instead of relying on the descriptions in the designer. :)

Thank you.

Dave

Regeneration is a Persistent Power' date=' which means it [i']can[/i] be deactivated, under the right circumstances.

So, put a Limitation on it: Deactivates When User Damaged With Silver (value to be set by the GM, suggest -1/4 for uncommon or -1/2 for common circumstances, such as if he's a werewolf or otherwise a lot of people know to use silver on him). Also apply Extra Time, which value is halved because it's a Persistent Power, to represent the amount of time the Regeneration is inactive for. Possibly, put a Trigger on it so that whenever it is deactivated, it automatically attempts to reactivate (and runs afoul of Extra Time).

Just what I was thinking, except I don't personally think you'd need the Trigger. A Persistent power's default state is on, and I would assume it naturally tries to reach that state again at some point after it is turned off. Either way the difference could probably be wrapped up with the custom deactivation Limitation at no change in value.

Thanks again to all the comments. Here is the first draft on the template for the Rictos race.

--------------------------

The Rictos are a race of loaners who from time to time come into the cities and towns. They are known throughout civilized society as Wild Men and thus are shunned by high society and courts. Their accelerated healing and their loner racial tendencies leads them to be carefree and at times careless which has caused more than one fouled relationship with other races.

Skill Roll using Knowledge Skill - Races*

Success at a higher difficulty means you know everything of a lower difficulty:

Difficult:

Rictos don't regenerate from damage caused by silver weapons or cosmic magic.

Easy:

Rictos are rapid healers and regenerate damage to their bodies quickly.

Routine:

The Rictos are solitary and rarely found in groups. The more feral members stake out tracts of land as territory and roam their claim, defending it against hunting competition including other Rictos.

*This will also be an everyman skill in the campaign world.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37446[/ATTACH]

For Werewolves I believe it was -1/2 because it was common knowledge not because silver weapons were common.

That's my recollection.

At a -3/4 level, I would expect to see Silver weapons or Cosmic Magic pretty readily available to anyone wanting to access it, and I'd expect as a player that many opponents (maybe one game in three) could neutralize my Regen.

That's my recollection.

At a -3/4 level, I would expect to see Silver weapons or Cosmic Magic pretty readily available to anyone wanting to access it, and I'd expect as a player that many opponents (maybe one game in three) could neutralize my Regen.

Yes, as I build out the world I'll need to revisit the frequency. Thanks for pointing that out.

Here is a 6e werewolf...

Jon Bregg (were form)

The human form has:

10 Regeneration (1 BODY per Turn), Can Heal Limbs (21 Active Points); Does Not Work On Some Damage ([Common attack]; Damage From Silver; -3/4), Perceivable (by Supernatural Awareness; -1/4)

and the wolf form has:

18 Regeneration (1 BODY per Segment), Can Heal Limbs, Per Segment (APG), STUN Also (APG) (+1/2) (37 Active Points); Does Not Work On Some Damage ([Common attack]; Damage From Silver; -3/4), Perceivable (by Supernatural Awareness; -1/4)

*In the Here There Be Monsters setting that this character is from these abilities are perceivable by supernatural awareness; in most fantasy settings this probably wouldn't apply due to differences in genre so remove the limitation. However, even though the supernatural is not believed to be real by the vast majority of people in the HTBM setting thanks to Hollywood even people that don't believe in werewolves or the supernatural know that they are vulnerable to silver. Silver is reasonably easy to get a hold of, particularly by well prepared professional Monster Hunters (which the PC's are assumed to be) so it is considered a Common attack; this might differ in other settings.

Why not add a Side Effect Drain?

Regeneration (1 BODY per Turn) (16 Active Points); Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; Character is hit by silver; Drain Regeneration 0 1/2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 20 Minutes; +1 1/2) (12 Active Points); -3/4)

OTOH, it'll take about eight hits by silver to shut down the regeneration. OTOF, you could always throw a handful of silver coins.

*Hops off*

Hmm. Sure. I suppose you could also model it as a Susceptibility that does a Drain rather than causing damage' date=' but it doesn't quite feel right to me as it applies pretty specifically to one power rather than the character as a whole.[/quote']

It probably would apply to a significant part of a character - And most Complications aren't Total, anyway.

Werewolves don't regen from damage done by silver. If these guys take damage from silver they don't regen from any damage, no matter the source, until their Regen kicks back on. Is that significant enough to raise the value of the limitation?

Werewolves don't regen from damage done by silver. If these guys take damage from silver they don't regen from any damage' date=' no matter the source, until their Regen kicks back on. Is that significant enough to raise the value of the limitation?[/quote']

However, once their regen kicks back in, they regen the damage taken from silver as well, so this power is both more and less limited than "not vs silver" as applied to werewolves. Given that, I'd say the real question is whether:

- the lack of regen of other damage for a period of time is more limiting than the fact that damage from silver will regen after that time (in which case a higher limitation may be justified)

- the lack of regen of other damage for a period of time offset the fact that damage from silver will regen after that time (in which case the limitation should be the same)

- the lack of regen of other damage for a period of time is not a sufficient additional limit to offset the fact that even damage from silver will regen after that time (in which case a lower limitation may be justified)

Having been hit by silver, it seems like the ability to regenerate that damage much more quickly than normal healing (after the regen delay wears off) is a significant advantage, especially if the delay in regeneration is not huge. Delaying the regeneration of BOD lost from other sources may not fully offset that, which might leave a -1/4 to -0 limitation. With 1 point per turn, my experience is that Regen typically has its major impact between combats. so delaying all regen by, say, 20 minutes to an hour isn't much of an issue unless there will be more combat in that period.

At the -1/2 level, based on the werewolf example, damage from a specific source will recover only at the usual REC/month rate, so the Regen is utterly useless against that source. The type of source is one which is common knowledge, but requires some effort and cost to have available, so it can be expected that many opponents prepared for the character will be able to prevent his regeneration, and it will come up with some frequency (I'd generally expect a -1/2 limitation to come up every few games, anyway).

If the Regen is shut down entirely until all BOD taken from silver is healed, I'd say a higher limitation is warranted (however we now need to figure out which BOD heals first), but if all Regen is simply deferred for a relatively short period, such that the character will typically recover all lost BOD in fairly short order anyway, I'd question whether this is even worth -1/4. Depending how frequent combat involving BOD loss is, and how easy it is for characters lacking Regen to recover BOD outside combat, a -1/4 limitation would seem reasonable if the character's recovery is impeded, but he still recovers appreciably faster than characters lacking Regen. If exposure to silver (or cosmic magic) delays his Regen to the point he will only heal at the same rate as the other characters, I'd say the full -1/2 is warranted, since he effectively loses the benefits of Regen whenever he takes such damage.