Stops the shrapnel but not the kinetic energy

Ranxerox

I want to build a superior bullet proof uniform that can stop pretty much anything from piercing it but only give the wearer modest protection against the kinetic energy of the the shot. Is there any power in 6th Ed that can be used to turn killing damage into normal damage? If not what would be my best option for getting mimicking cloth that can't be pierced?

Re: Stops the shrapnel but not the kinetic energy

Not exactly, in that the wearer can still take body. If you are wearing this armor and someone shoots you in the chest with a high caliber weapon it feels like you got hit in the chest with a baseball bat, and a baseball bat to the chest can do body - ribs can be cracked and organs can be bruised. Also like be hit by a baseball bat, when you are wearing this armor I would like it if having a nice layer of muscle covering your bones and organs could reduce your risk of serious injury.

If you really wanted to build a power that convered killing damage to normal damage' date=' build it as resistant protection with a side effect of doing normal damage. I would however, just build it as resistant protection and call it "good enough".[/quote']

I find myself agree with this. I think all you need to do is state the armor is unpenetrated by the attack (this is mere SFX) but STUN & BODY will still get though. If you are using "Real Armor" for everyone's armor, then don't for this material, as it's so advanced.

Buy the Resistant (+1/2) Advantage for your normal PD and ED. That way your PD and ED stop the BODY and STUN of an incoming Killing Attack, just like they do for a Normal Attack. I'd let the "converts to normal damage" slide as a +0, or else don't even bother with it.

If you really wanted to build a power that convered killing damage to normal damage' date=' build it as resistant protection with a side effect of doing normal damage. I would however, just build it as resistant protection and call it "good enough".[/quote']

Unfortunately side effect damage automatically bypasses defenses so this doesn't work.

I find myself agree with this. I think all you need to do is state the armor is unpenetrated by the attack (this is mere SFX) but STUN & BODY will still get though. If you are using "Real Armor" for everyone's armor' date=' then don't for this material, as it's so advanced.[/quote']

Yep, just making it a SFX is an option, and you are right the real armor limitation would not be appropriate for this item.

Buy the Resistant (+1/2) Advantage for your normal PD and ED. That way your PD and ED stop the BODY and STUN of an incoming Killing Attack' date=' just like they do for a Normal Attack. I'd let the "converts to normal damage" slide as a +0, or else don't even bother with it.[/quote']

Carbon Nanofiberweave Clothing: (Total: 27 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Resistant Protection (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); OIF Expendable (; Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Resistant (+1/2) for up to 24 Active Points of maximum 12 PD, 12 ED, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (18 Active Points); OIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4) (Real Cost: 10)

Okay, good enough. :thumbup:

Unfortunately side effect damage automatically bypasses defenses so this doesn't work.

Well the rules aren't set in stone. I would cut the value of the side effect limitation in half and allow defenses to be applied. All you're doing is turning a 2d6 KA into a 6d6 normal attack. It's not a big abuse of the rules.

Maybe make a new power called Damage Conversion which is 2 pts per DC of KA to normal attack. All the advantages to the KA are still valid. The lower amount of body is balanced by the larger amount of stun.