False Personal Information

Naanomi

Say you have a character who has something widely known about them... that is utterly false. Not something harmful (which could be Negative Reputation or the like) but something that could be used to your advantage.

One character, who was a flashy gadgeteer stage magician, was well known to have awesome magic powers, and was concidered a legitimate practitioner of magic by the occult community... both utter BS. We had a Reputation perk which covered it well.

Now, however, a character is joining the team who has taken over the persona and powers of her villainous father. Her father had big, well known weaknesses to bright lights and light based attacks. She, however, does not... and is in no hurry to advertise this fact. She also has the acting skill to ham it up enough to keep people buying it for a long time. Reputation didn't seem to fit (the +PRE/Interaction skills really didn't mechanically convey a false weakness). Any other thoughts?

Re: False Personal Information

I'd keep it as some type of perk.

Sounds a lot like the relationship between Ms. Martian & Martian Manhunter (in the comics at least). She essentially presents herself as a 'Martian' Supergirl but is in fact a 'white martian' with some different abilities and weaknesses than 'green martians'.

I think the Acting Skill is enough to continue convincing people of what is essentially a really cool Background Hook. Not everything needs be expressed in points - that's a trap to make sure you not get caught in. If you really want, a few Acting Skill Levels (Only To Play Up Light Weakness) can be bought.

I think the Acting Skill is enough to continue convincing people of what is essentially a really cool Background Hook. Not everything needs be expressed in points - that's a trap to make sure you not get caught in. If you really want' date=' a few Acting Skill Levels (Only To Play Up Light Weakness) can be bought.[/quote']

The ability to keep the act is in skills... but there has to be some advantage to every enemy pulling the lasers and floodlights on me when they could be doing something more productive... or trapping me 'powerless' in a bright-lit room when I am captured. I *love* wasting points on 'every little thing' :)

I'd probably class it as Reputation, with a note that it has a "nonstandard effect." And after all, Acting IS an "Interaction Skill." Probably adjust the cost down a little.

Lucius Alexander

has a reputation for putting a palindromedary in every tagline

Hmm. If she's so adamant about keeping up the illusion of those weaknesses, it's almost acting like a weakness anyway, since she really cannot act in a way that someone with the weakness couldn't. Thus I'd think twice about charging points for it. Maybe a Social Complication along the lines of, "has a dark secret," but not so extreme. But I'd personally be inclined to just make it part of the character's background, myself.

Hmm. Another thought puzzle. What if a character was believed by a local community (e.g. a village) to be the king? That character would certainly enjoy a lot of social benefits...for a little while. They would constantly be having to maintain the lie, and would have to become more and more fearful of getting caught out over time. Certainly any time soldiers or messengers or the like who might have seen or know about the true king and his whereabouts come through town, the character is going to have to scramble. And when they ARE caught, they are going to have a "royal" mess to deal with: debts incurred, hatred from every corner, perhaps even a lynch mob and being hunted by legal authorities. Should this character have to pay for the initial "advantage"?

The 'False King' Scenario seems easier to me because the 'benefits' of being a king (Wealth, Reputation, Fringe Benefits, a Castle/Base, Followers) are easier to determine than the benefit of 'incorrect weaknesses'.

I would buy all the 'perks' of being King, then either limit them or have a big Social Complication: Secret

If it's a well-known true weakness, that would fall under Reputation as a Disad/Complication. Since it's well-known, but not true, people would presumably waste at least a few attacks trying to take advantage of the weakness, so it's a net plus for the character. Buy it as positive Reputation.