Cryostasis

Tasha

So how would you write up Aliens Style Cryostasis pods?

Normally I would just handwave the whole thing, but as part of my Campaign's Powered armor. They have an emergency Cryostasis function for those Marines who are too wounded for battlefield medics to put back together.

I was thinking about doing it as LS Longevity 400 years Blackout plus regen 1 point per turn (only to stabilize bleeding).

It still feels like I am missing something from the writeup.

Re: Cryostasis

A limited version of the Does Not Bleed automaton power is a good way to simulate medical equipment that stabilizes a patient below 0-Body and prevents their condition from deteriorating further, but doesn't provide any actual healing. Depending on how 'high-tech' you want the gear to be, that's one option.

For the 'Stasis' part, I've used the Simulate Death talent, with the Life Support: Longevity power linked to it. You probably want a large bonus added to the Simulate Death roll if it's intended to be used for decades or centuries.

A limited version of the Does Not Bleed automaton power is a good way to simulate medical equipment that stabilizes a patient below 0-Body and prevents their condition from deteriorating further, but doesn't provide any actual healing. Depending on how 'high-tech' you want the gear to be, that's one option.

For the 'Stasis' part, I've used the Simulate Death talent, with the Life Support: Longevity power linked to it. You probably want a large bonus added to the Simulate Death roll if it's intended to be used for decades or centuries.

Wooo! Great idea. I am running a Traveller Hero Game. So Cryo doesn't usually last more than a month or so. The PC's however are waking up after an unusually long stay in Cryo (125 years). Thanks, now I can backfill my handwave with actual game mechanics!

Thanks!

PS Wish I could rep you, but I needs to spread some around before I can hit you with it again.

Low Berth (CryoSleep), all slots OIF Bulky (CryoChamber; -1)
Simulate Death (+11 to roll) (14 Active Points); OIF Bulky (CryoChamber; -1)
Does Not Bleed (15 Active Points); OIF Bulky (CryoChamber; -1)
LS  (Eating: Character does not eat; Longevity: 400 Years; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) (16 Active Points); OIF Bulky (CryoChamber; -1)

That feels just about right. Thanks!

Tasha

Allow me to preface this post with a statement that also applies to my comments in the thread about space fighers: I understand things like dramatic necessity and genre simulation. I understand that not all settings are intended to rigorously follow scientific principles as we currently know them. However, I also believe that it's better to deviate from hard science knowingly and intentionally, rather than out of ignorance.

Having said that: cryostasis, as commonly understood (i.e. reversibly freezing someone for storage), would be dangerous, even fatal, over long periods despite the lack of any biological activity. Why? Radiation.

Even if the corpsicle is protected thoroughly from external radiation, they'll still be dosing themselves with ionizing radiation from their own naturally occurring radioisotopes, just as they did when they were awake and unfrozen. Unfortunately, with all biological activity suspended, the mechanisms which repair that damage will no longer be active, and the damage will accumulate over time. To deal with this, cryo travelers might need to defrost for a month or two every few years.

I would imagine that if biological activity is merely greatly slowed, and not completely suspended, that this would not be an issue.

Allow me to preface this post with a statement that also applies to my comments in the thread about space fighers: I understand things like dramatic necessity and genre simulation. I understand that not all settings are intended to rigorously follow scientific principles as we currently know them. However, I also believe that it's better to deviate from hard science knowingly and intentionally, rather than out of ignorance.

Having said that: cryostasis, as commonly understood (i.e. reversibly freezing someone for storage), would be dangerous, even fatal, over long periods despite the lack of any biological activity. Why? Radiation.

Even if the corpsicle is protected thoroughly from external radiation, they'll still be dosing themselves with ionizing radiation from their own naturally occurring radioisotopes, just as they did when they were awake and unfrozen. Unfortunately, with all biological activity suspended, the mechanisms which repair that damage will no longer be active, and the damage will accumulate over time. To deal with this, cryo travelers might need to defrost for a month or two every few years.

I would imagine that if biological activity is merely greatly slowed, and not completely suspended, that this would not be an issue.

Ok be a wet blanket. I know that realistically, that it's probably not possible. I know that Traveller's Jump Drive isn't realistic, nor are many pieces of tech in that setting. I can know that and still use part of the setting's canon to add to our group's fun.

I believe that in Traveller that Biological activity is slowed down to nearly nothing. People aren't really completely frozen solid.

Ok be a wet blanket. I know that realistically, that it's probably not possible. I know that Traveller's Jump Drive isn't realistic, nor are many pieces of tech in that setting. I can know that and still use part of the setting's canon to add to our group's fun.

That's what I was trying to say in my "preface". I'm sorry it didn't come across more clearly.

That's what I was trying to say in my "preface". I'm sorry it didn't come across more clearly.

Sorry, I was in a "mood" when writing that. I was annoyed and thought I was being a bit funny. Of course I just came off as annoyed. You raise interesting points about the "How" of cryogenic statis. Perhaps people aren't completely solid frozen, and have something circulating through the bloodstream keeping cells alive and cleaning any nasty cell damaging radiation too.

There are four kinds of futuristic stasis that come to my mind:

Chemical: the rate of aging is slowed down significantly, but usually only to, say, 1/10th or perhaps 1/20th.

Cryo: the rate of aging is slowed down MUCH more, but there are more evident dangers inherent to this method without proper handling.

Nano: the rate of aging is slowed down to a nearly imperceptible amount, to fully halted altogether.

Temporal: the rate of aging is outright halted. The downsides tend to be incredible power consumption, or requiring the most advanced technology out there.

My feeling is that Traveller uses a combination of Chemical Stasis and Cryo (ie freezing) to achieve stasis. In Traveller, most cryo sleeps don't last more than a month or two. They are the ultimate version of travelling Steerage. Since FTL in Traveller's universe isn't 100% accurate (ie a Navagation mistake can place you in empty space with limited fuel for maneuver and no where near enough fuel for FTL. You see Cryo (called Low Berths) being used as a kind of lifeboat. The ship picks the nearest system with some kind of fueling. They program the computer to stay on course, and burn a decent fuel to reach a fraction of C. With luck they awaken in the system and everyone survives the long cryo sleep. Of course it's 10+ years later

OH yeah' date=' What specifically does Nano Stasis mean? are you using nano tech in some way? or something I missed.[/quote']

"This is a means of safely and completely shutting down a person’s metabolism, putting him into a state of permanent suspended animation, in which no special preservation tank is needed. It uses bio-nanomachines to install protective scaffolding and fixatives around and within every cell in the patient’s body. Once placed in stasis, an organism will not require any oxygen or food, and cannot age or deteriorate, although it remains vulnerable to physical damage. Reversal of nanostasis requires using similar bio-nanotech to remove the preservatives and restart bodily functions. It can be thought of as a highly advanced form of vitrification"

We're talking SF here, not fantasy comics, but the same principle applies:

Dead catgirls all over the place....

catgirls.gif

I usually place large-print warning labels on any material I produce that isn't catgirl-friendly. The Terracide project bumped off a zillion of 'em....

That's ok, I hear a large colony of them moved to Kazei 5...

Also, "cryo"-stasis could be a misnomer. Perhaps hundreds of years of science fiction books and movies led to this process, whatever it is, being called that.... which of course drives all the scientists NUTS because it doesn't involve freezing anything. Of course, no one listens to them because it's easier to just call it that. (Just an idea)

Also' date=' "cryo"-stasis could be a misnomer. Perhaps hundreds of years of science fiction books and movies led to this process, whatever it is, being called that.... which of course drives all the scientists NUTS because it doesn't involve freezing anything. Of course, no one listens to them because it's easier to just call it that. (Just an idea)[/quote']

LOL good idea. Heck I am calling it Cryo and really just knowing that people go to sleep, get their bodies cooled off some, and then (hopefully) wake up at their destination.