Favorite Real Scientist Sci Fi writers, and stuff you have cribbed from them.

RexMundi

Out of curiosity. I've always sorta leaned towards the real science guys writing Science Fiction. Got a list of favorites, but curious as to what Others choices would be, and what they've swiped/borrowed from said source, for use in a game.

Open floor!

~Rex

Re: Favorite Real Scientist Sci Fi writers, and stuff you have cribbed from them.

Isaac Asimov and David Brin are the first two that jump to my mind. Hal Clement was a science teacher, but not an actual scientist, if that's what you mean by "real science guy". OTOH, I think a science teacher is readily acceptable in that bin.

Re: Favorite Real Scientist Sci Fi writers, and stuff you have cribbed from them.

I blatantly ripped off a few ideas from Robert L. Forward's Saturn Rukh: enormous gas-giant dwelling life-forms, and rockets fueled by stabilized meta-helium. Both of these are really far-out ideas, but Forward did a good job of developing them. Wish he'd done the same for the characters in that novel....

Not scientists per se, but engineers who did research...

Robert Heinlein and Aurther C. Clarke

I have trouble with any definition of "scientist" that excludes Sir Arthur Charles Clarke.

I'm fine with Science Guy. As in Background, so no need to be a Scientist per se, teachers and engineers more then qualify. I've always been a fan of guys like Jerry Pournelle and Martin Caidin and have cribbed more then a few things from those guys. There's a batch of new folk like Travis Taylor hitting the market as well that I'm finding interesting.

Some good names though....let's see more. Nice catch on Clement there to btw.

~Rex

Vernor Vinge? I'd think so. Scientist is a term that's kinda odd anyway, especially if you look back into history and look at who was considered a Scientist in their day. Lot of Scientific Advances came out of the layperson fields. They may not have had the paper hanging on the wall saying Science Guy!, but they did the work, and used the method, and produced the product.

So, all's good if it can be backed up. Fine line between Science Guy and Quack though, heh, if I could edit the title a bit I would.

~Rex

I'm just not enough of a fan to know the "day jobs" of any sci-fi authors, except for a few from Way Back. So far everyone I've seen named I'd go ahead and count, now that I see their "qualifications".

I'm just not enough of a fan to know the "day jobs" of any sci-fi authors' date=' except for a few from Way Back. So far everyone I've seen named I'd go ahead and count, now that I see their "qualifications".[/quote']

We'll count you too as soon as you write something. ;)

And brag We Knew You When --

See, for my current Traveller Hero campaign, I've been cribbing ideas from Frederik Pohl; even though he's not a scientist of any stripe, his science ideas are interesting and fun. Of course, the science he used for his biggest "Wow!" moments has been discredited, but I've figured out ways to make them work.

Heh, my Aunt's Third Husband (Whom she almost drove crazy before he gave up and ran for it, heh. First two, not so lucky (and they could make a movie out of both of those stories), current one is a former Ohio class boomer officer, hence, has Resistant Sanity against her level of wierd.)....he used to work the swap meets with Roddenberry back during the filming days of TOS.

I keep pestering him to let me have the pictures, heh.

Hate L. Ron Hubbard, every other book or so, heh. Some of his stuff I really liked. I seem to come back to Pournelle a lot for stuff to crib from.

I do think though that the material is far more solid when it comes from people with background though, or at least, the sheer volume of research to equate it.

~Rex