Fairy Darts

Vexxation

I need some help building Fairy Darts for a Fantasy Hero game.

Description from The Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology and Folklore

"Both people and animals were targets of the tiny weapons thrown by the fairy folk, sometimes for spite, sometimes as retribution for treading on fairy property, and sometimes just to make mischief. People would typically not feel the darts, but their hands would soon swell with painful arthritis. The date passed through the skin without puncturing it, so it was not always possible to accurately diagnose the fairy wound. Without treatment however, the wound was invariable fatal.

I was thinking a drain but not sure if that would work. Any suggestions would help.

Re: Fairy Darts

Hey,

I have only just recently seen the 6th ed books, so i am no expert. But this would be the 5th Ed version.

1d6 DEX Drain, delayed effect, invisible, continuous (stopped by proper treatment)

1d6 RKA, gradual effect, delayed effect, invisible, continuous (stopped by proper treatment), linked to DEX Drain.

That work? Its been a while.

In Swedish folklore, these are known as trollskott ("troll shots") and were believed to be the cause of lumbago. For this, a combined Drain for DEX, Running, OCV and DCV ought to do nicely.

Or maybe a Transform, healed back by a visit to a chiropractor or Granny Weatherwax.

In fact, the English word "stroke" is from "elf stroke" because people noticed the symptoms were like those of a head injury, except for the lack of visible head injury. They therefore attributed it to being "struck" by an invisible faerie arrow.

In a previous edition, I modeled this with a Killing Attack, Invisible Effects and No Normal Defense, and Limitation: No STUN Damage. As a NND it did no BOD, and of course with the Limitation it did no STUN. I would count the BOD anyway and apply it to a Hit Location, so if it struck an arm for example there would be no visible wound and no "Damage" (you're no closer to being dead) but the arm might go numb and stop working.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that sometimes Lucius Alexander seems to go numb and stop working.

Hey,

I have only just recently seen the 6th ed books, so i am no expert. But this would be the 5th Ed version.

1d6 DEX Drain, delayed effect, invisible, continuous (stopped by proper treatment)

1d6 RKA, gradual effect, delayed effect, invisible, continuous (stopped by proper treatment), linked to DEX Drain.

That work? Its been a while.

The RKA probably needs NND and Does BODY, or the victim's resistant defenses will apply.

Good point, Crosshair, I was assuming a fantasy game where normals had no rPD normally. And the little pests would just shoot you where you had no armor or while sleeping (like up your nose). But I definitely concede your point on that one.

Honestly' date=' at first I thought the topic was How to Build Dairy Farts. Sorry. Still an interesting ability, though...[/quote']

OMG I thought nearly the same thing. I was wondering if Faeries farted pixie dust or something. I saw the thread as Faerie Farts, I was quite intrigued and bemused for a bit. Then I read it correctly :P

Actually the death aspect is important as I have found reference to Fairy Darts killing cats' date=' dogs, sheep and cattle with one shot. But strangely not humans. Perhaps maybe a multipower or multiple variations of a spell?[/quote']

I'd chalk that up to plot armor. Unless the cat, dog, sheep, or cattle was a PC, DNPC, or otherwise important, it really doesn't matter how fast the dart kills it outside of plot requirements.

Actually the death aspect is important as I have found reference to Fairy Darts killing cats' date=' dogs, sheep and cattle with one shot. But strangely not humans. Perhaps maybe a multipower or multiple variations of a spell?[/quote']

No, just consult the Hit Location, Impairing, and Disabling rules, and interpret the ailments attributed to Elf Shot to being Impairing or Disabling hits.

If you really want the ability to kill large beasts instantly and people slowly, make it a large Killing Attack but with a Limitation that against people (however you define that for the game) it does its damage over time.

Lucius Alexander

Does a palindromedary count as people?

Thank you all for your opinions. Here is what I came up with as the final product.

Fairie Dart: Drain STR, DEX, CON, BODY and RUNNING 1d6, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DCV; +0), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/2), Expanded Effect (x5 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Month; +2 3/4), Damage Over Time, Target's defenses only apply once (33-64 damage increments, damage occurs every 1 Hour, +3 1/2) (115 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses all of its effectiveness (against worn resistance armor; -2), Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (when used on humans; -1 1/2)

115 active points, 25 real points, 5 END