Ideas For A Magical Quill

JohnTaber

Hi FH Folks: In my current FH campaign one of the warrior characters is going to receive a magical quill from an Empress. Now my questions...

1. One power of the quill will be the ability to transfer messages back to a prepared piece of parchment in possession of the Empress. I have some ideas on how this could be built but I would like to hear some ideas from other folks.
  2. I would like to give the pen some type of minor additional power for the PC but I can't think of any fun ideas as the PC is not a wizard but a warrior/former military commander/brick PC. Any thoughts?

Thanks gents! :D

Re: Ideas For A Magical Quill

How about a Universal Translator power, like automatic writing, where sitting down to write with the pen allows the writer to hear something being spoken and transcribe it into their native language.

Useful for Border disputes, interrogating prisoners and the like

NICE! I like that one. :D

Any other ideas?

Here is what I came up with:

Magical White Crane Quill

A large white crane feather with an ink stained tip. Along the edge of the quill are silver runes that glow when the quill is used. The quill is contained in a black lacquer box with mother-of-pearl inlay that depicts a white crane standing on one leg. Also in the box is a hard ink block.

3 Transcribe Over A Distance: Mind Link , Special class of minds, One Specific Mind, No LOS Needed, Unlimited range in this dimension (20 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, Time It Takes To Write Message; -1 1/2), OAF Fragile (Magical Quill; -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Only To Write Text From One Sheet Of Prepared Paper To Another (-1/2) 4

1 Duplicate: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (Blank Parchment Into Copy Of Existing Document, Any Type Of Magical Dispel Or Spirit Bind Roll), Partial Transform (+1/2) (4 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x4 END; -1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Time It Takes To Copy Document; -1 1/4), OAF Fragile (Magical Quill; -1 1/4), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Only To Copy Text From An Existing Document (-1/2) 4

3 Written Translation: Detect Written Languages 11- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (20 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, Time It Takes To Transcribe Translated Text; -1 1/2), OAF Fragile (Magical Quill; -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2) 4

Is an empress going to want to be handing out items useful for forgery?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says Life Support vs Cold...oh wait, that would be a magical quilT

Why not? If she's the empress she can say things like, "I didn't sign that, off with is head."

The Empress AND her personal assistant/scribe are dear friends of this particular PC. (The scribe actually uses the quill on a daily basis. ;) ) In fact the PC is finally realizing that the Empress may actually have feelings for him since her husband was murdered...he also paid almost 20 pts for the contact. :) He is going to be leaving on a dangerous mission and she wants to keep in touch with him (aka read plot seeds from the GM). :D