Cybernetics and Bioengineering: what are YOUR limits?

Ragitsu

Re: Cybernetics and Bioengineering: what are YOUR limits?

If they could transfer your meat-ware to a cyber-body, then it follows that they'd likely be able to transfer or transplant your brain into a brand new bio-body, lacking its own consciousness. This body could even be substantially upgraded over your original body--immunity to most/all diseases, eternally 21, trans-olympian physique, 300 IQ and so many mental talents and tricks it'd make an autistic savant blush, senses a little bit beyond human(20/5 vision, heightened hearing(perfect pitch?), smell, taste and touch), no refractory period, body hair only where you want it to be, etc. If you offered someone a choice between that option and a cyber-body, I'd think the cyber-body would have to not only match all of the advantages of the bio-body, but also exceed it in some areas, in order to be more appealing to potential "customers".

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget even hacking for a moment' date=' and consider the more likely scenario of subliminal messaging becoming a [i']whole[/i] lot more effective.

Low bar, most claims I've seen for subliminal messaging have been horsecrap not supported by the research.

Low bar' date=' most claims I've seen for subliminal messaging have been [strike']horsecrap[/strike] not supported by the research.

Probably because they weren't the good kind of subliminal messaging (the kind that works, and is virtually undetectable).

That aside? Having more control of one's grey matter definitely increases the probability of it working.

If they could transfer your meat-ware to a cyber-body' date=' then it follows that they'd likely be able to transfer or transplant your brain into a brand new bio-body, lacking its own consciousness. [/quote']

Of course, some might have an ethical problem, what happens to the brand new bio-body's original jelly-ware?

This body could even be substantially upgraded over your original body--immunity to most/all diseases' date=' eternally 21, trans-olympian physique, 300 IQ and so many mental talents and tricks it'd make an autistic savant blush, senses a little bit beyond human(20/5 vision, heightened hearing(perfect pitch?), smell, taste and touch), no refractory period, body hair only where you want it to be, etc. [/quote']

I understand perfect pitch is the easy one, seems more than half of children under two can be trained to it.

If you offered someone a choice between that option and a cyber-body' date=' I'd think the cyber-body would have to not only match all of the advantages of the bio-body, but also exceed it in some areas, in order to be more appealing to potential "customers".[/quote']

False dilemma. live in silicon on the web and have a bio-upgrade peripheral.

Probably because they weren't the good kind of subliminal messaging (the kind that works' date=' and is virtually undetectable).[/quote']

Wuold be interested in a cite if you have one.

That aside? Having more control of one's grey matter definitely increases the probability of it working.

I would have thought the opposite.

Wuold be interested in a cite if you have one.

Kind of hard to have a cite for something undetectable. There are studies that show it does work, though, even if not every method works every time in every circumstance.

I would have thought the opposite.

I do.

It's important to note some people are more susceptible to subliminal messaging to others. Ultimately...having more access to something tends to increase options.

Of course, some might have an ethical problem, what happens to the brand new bio-body's original jelly-ware?

I understand perfect pitch is the easy one, seems more than half of children under two can be trained to it.

False dilemma. live in silicon on the web and have a bio-upgrade peripheral.

Of course, one of the issues which hasn't been explored too much is the potential unintended psychological effects of such radical changes to our being--would we develop some sort of "brain in a box" psychosis, or would we feel alienated from our own bio- or cyber- upgraded bodies? I mean, if I "woke up" in a new and different body, seeing things through new eyes, hearing things through new ears, etc.--I'd expect that initial experience to be quite disorienting and more than a little unsettling. It would have to take time to adjust to all that, imo.

What about legal consequences?

Hmm. That's a challenge, too. I expect that some issues would be dealt with beforehand, simply due to political/popular paranoia(think of the legislation banning human-animal hybrids, or reproductive cloning here). Other issues probably wouldn't pop up until the technologies began to be implemented. Imagine a spouse blaming cyber-upgrading for alienation of affection. Or suppose an upgrade was paid for via financing--that godawful movie with Jude Law comes to mind here.

Kind of hard to have a cite for something undetectable. There are studies that show it does work' date=' though, even if not every method works every time in every circumstance.[/quote']

OK, can you please tell me where I can find those studies?

I wonder how soon after birth parents will wait to put cyber-limbs on their child.

How soon do they need them?

Was the child born with a missing limb? Are all their classmates borged up and they the only control natural in their school? Is this covered by the National Health?

If the answer to all of the above is "no," they may have their cyberware as soon as they can pay for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently not.

Matti Mintz, professor of psychobiology, and his colleagues built a computerized cerebellum and linked it to an anesthetized rat whose own cerebellum was disabled. . .. Attaching the synthetic cerebellum to the rat, the scientists tried to condition it to blink at the sound of a tone. To get the rat to blink, they first fired a puff of air at the rat when the tone sounded and then just sounded the tone. The experiment worked: The rat blinked when it heard the sound. When the synthetic cerebellum was disconnected, the rat could not learn the response.

On a more serious note,

They're faster than us.

They can remember more than us.

They can remember LONGER than us.

They don't need to worry about silly chemical reactions that could be deadly.

And...they're better looking to boot.

Well, wake me when a computer can outperform a human brain in every respect...and consume less power.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/JacquelineLing.shtml