Arabic/Middle Eastern based Character

Chuckem

Re: Arabic/Middle Eastern based Character

Isn't Shaitan an Arabic name for Satan?

Major Tom 2009 :confused:

No, that would be Iblis or Ehblees or however you want to transliterate it.

Shaitan can mean the same being, or can mean other, lesser beings, as in English we use the same word for a devil and THE Devil.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary orders a plate of shaitaned eggs

From Wikipedia who I think got it from http://www.crystalinks.com/jinn.html.

Types of jinn include the shayṭān, the ghūl, the marīd, the ‘ifrīt, and the jinn. According to the information in the Arabian Nights, ‘ifrits seem to be the strongest form of jinn, followed by marids, and then the rest of the jinn forms.

Ghul also means snake, so Ras Al Ghul means Snakehead.

On the wikipedia link, check out The 99. They're Gulf-created superheroes (Kuwait, I think), designed to be Islamic supers. Several of them are female (I recall Noora, 'Light', has several light-based powers).

Sadly, it's not easy to find English copies of The 99, even here.

I'd really urge you to avoid names like Fatwa or Sharia, especially for villains. You may cause offence. Sharia is Islamic law. Fatwa is a religious opinion.

There's a list of Arabic names and their meanings at Behind the Names.

The palindromedary orders a plate of shaitaned eggs

A friend in seminary used to refer to "demonized ova." The guys all thought it funny. The women were always grossed out to some extent.

No' date=' that would be Iblis or Ehblees or however you want to transliterate it.[/quote']

Hmm... I thought in Arab folklore Iblis was the ruler of the jinn, who are definitely not fallen angels, but created by God out of "smokeless fire." My understanding was that Iblis and Satan are two different entities, but I could be wrong.

Hmm... I thought in Arab folklore Iblis was the ruler of the jinn' date=' who are definitely not fallen angels, but created by God out of "smokeless fire." My understanding was that Iblis and Satan are two different entities, but I could be wrong.[/quote']

Iiiit's a little more complicated than that:

http://web.uvic.ca/~rpn/files/iblis.html

But the short version of it is "Iblis is an Islamic version of Satan".

Hmm... I thought in Arab folklore Iblis was the ruler of the jinn' date=' who are definitely not fallen angels, but created by God out of "smokeless fire." My understanding was that Iblis and Satan are two different entities, but I could be wrong.[/quote']

In orthodox Islam, whether Sunni or Shia, as I understand it, angels are regarded as having been created perfect and without free will, thus incapable of sin; in this view, there can BE no "fallen angels."

Djinn, under various names and descriptions, fill all of the same roles as Demons, Spirits, Faeries, etc.

Of course, as Clonus points out, religion is always complicated. It is correct to think of Iblis as the counterpart to Satan (chief of those who futilely defy the Omipotent, enemy of Humans, and supreme tempter and corruptor) but he is a Djinn not an Angel.

Oops. I forgot' date=' and mixed up Malik with Iblis.[/quote']

If I am not mistaken, "malik" means "king."

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary