"Suicide Squad" Champions Universe style

Hermit

Those of you familiar with the D.C. series know what I'm talking about. The Suicide Squad was (at least in one of it's incarnations) a chance for super criminals to redeem themselves, and earn reduced sentences.

They were also often considered 'expendable' Hence the name. I was never a big DC fan, but I always found the concept of the Suicide Squad innovative, at least in the Super Hero genre.

Then someone had to go post a 'redeemable' thread, and get my imagination perked again. Thanks a lot. ;)

It occurs to me Stronghold maybe nigh overflowing some days, and the govt may decide to put those extras to work.

They'd need a name ("Suicide Squad" is copyrighted for one thing ;))

They'd need a way of keeping those villains in line.

They'd have to have a selection process on who would be a safe enough 'risk' and who just wouldn't work.

So, any thoughts on the Champions Universe version of the Suicide Squad?

Originally posted by starblaze

The Allies sourcebook for Champions has a group called the Redeemed. They are ex-criminals who try to be a superhero team. Sort of a Thunderbolts style team except they were around before that.

Yeah, good concept. Anyone know if they will be making a comeback for 5th Ed though?

Re: "Suicide Squad" Champions Universe style

Originally posted by Hermit

They'd need a name ("Suicide Squad" is copyrighted for one thing ;))

So, any thoughts on the Champions Universe version of the Suicide Squad?

The 4th Edition Champions Universe had a group during WWII called The Expendables (I believe). This group is discussed in the Golden Age Champions source book. The military would use criminals to preform missions against the Axis powers. This group could be easily re-formed by the military in today's setting, and run pretty much like the Suicide Squad was in the DC Universe.

Re: "Suicide Squad" Champions Universe style

Originally posted by Acroyear II

The 4th Edition Champions Universe had a group during WWII called The Expendables (I believe). This group is discussed in the Golden Age Champions source book. The military would use criminals to preform missions against the Axis powers. This group could be easily re-formed by the military in today's setting, and run pretty much like the Suicide Squad was in the DC Universe.

"The Expendables" eh? Well, it certainly is a classic. It beats the "Super Dirty Dozen" :)

Originally posted by Dr. Confoundo

I've been wanting to run this type of campaign for a long time as well. My name for the group was 'Chain Gang'.

Actually, I like that. Or maybe have it known as C.H.A.I.N. (Make the letters mean something) officially, but unofficially the group would go by "The Chain Gang".

Chain Gang would work.

Other possible names:

1) Executive Sanction

2) Parole Posse

I had a group similar to this in my own campaign. They were run by PRIMUS (who are a bunch of jerks in my campaign, who want to control all non-government metahumans). They were called Project U-Turn, were run by two Silver Avengers, and operated out of New York. PRIMUS used them to do frontal assaults on villain bases, among other things. Of course they had a full media campaign says how they were "reforming" criminals.

The logical members for it would be any villains the players in your campign capture/maim. Ultimates would work as a core.

The original Suicide Squad story line was one of the more interesting ones DC had.

It had several heroes on it, in addition to the baddies. Most of the heroes were ones who were tired of doing things the "legal way".

Amanda Waller was the perfect government operative...mainly because there is nothing the heroes could do to stop her. She of course, answered to the President.

So far as adapting it to hero scenarios:

#1: An obvious way was done in the early issues (first 12). Batman discovered a bunch of villains he has captured are walking the streets against (they got pardons from the government). Batman travels to Louisiana, to infiltrate the prison the Squad is based out of. He gets discovered, and Batman gets to run around trashing all the comics "heroes". Easy to adapt.

#2: At the time, the Squad was a lot more realistic than other comics. they killed people regularly, and were fighting terrorists 15 years ago...

They could be used to go after villains, in a campaign where most of the heroes are goody too-shoes types.

#3: Again, in the first 12 issues. There was one storyline where they had a 3-way battle, between the Suicide Squad, Justice League, and the Russian supers. What was interesting was that they all kind of blundering into each other. The Squad was infiltrating russia to get out a defector (as I recall), they get spotted by the russian heroes, who call in the Justice League as backup. (which was "international" at the time). Gneral mayhem ensued, and the Batman hospitalized one of the Squad :)

I've done this a few times ... mostly with some villains that the heroes put in jail and had them run into them while they were doing Probation ;)

They were actually formed under the Primus banner as a joint co-op with Stronghold and organized by an unwanted Silver Avenger under the name Project: Conscript ... though they were affectionatly called "The Conscript Corps" by the SA :)

Ok so lets assume that C.H.A.I.N (Criminal Helped Advanced International Neocorps) or the "Chain Gang" if you perfer, was the the powers (The U.S, Australia, China, France, GB, Germany and Poland)answer to help allaeviate the strain put upon the worlds governments and Stronghold itself, for holding super humans.

With the decision made by a secret balot by the lifetime members, it was decided to create a non standard task force devoted to dealing with hostile situations, situations involving meta humans and for those times in which it was expedient to keep even the elite of the standard military out of the area. In short, they needed a group of people with abilitys far above normal, a group that was efficient and most of all... A group that was Expendible, Super criminals were exactly that.

Led by the rough tough and revivified former Navy Seal Captain Cpt Rock Haliday (f the "famous" special forces unit unit Halidays Sea Lions -last fought in Viet Nam-) the team of:

Prof Muerte the woman with a gadget for every occasion, after a disastrous science experiment in Dallas resulting in hundreds of deaths Muerte has one more chance to proove herself worthy, or be put on trial in Texas and chances are the state won't be gentle.

Howler- Sultry sonic mistress, with her medallion modified, she can either do what shes asked or she can die at the whim of the Powers.

Grond the mnd controled green brute, kept on hand since he was found roaming the country side after the infamous battle of Detroit. Will he be the Deuce Ex Machina the team needs?

Taipan One of the few succesfully unprogramed members of Viper that Stronghold was ever able to get ahold of, its nolonger safe for him inside Strongold or outside of Stronghold, the Australian Otis Harrison chose to join the team, taking up the monkier of Taipan - the most deadly of the Australian snakes, equiped with a suit built by Muerte and the skills he recieved from viper he is a formidible foe. But he still has to ask himself will he be formidible enough? Just how long will he be able to stay alive?

-----------------

-----------------

Ok with the information I am remembering... Muerte isn't actually around in 5th ed, so I altered the character into a woman, I don't really see many super intelligent women in comics, so why not have it for the Champions darker alternative?

Howler was very much like the classic controlled by a Government character that you see on and off again (I think the last one was Venom, when he had a bomb stuck in his chest.)

Grond, the idea is get raging beast, keep it under tight control via drugs or mental conditioning or what have you. Its my homage to the Hulk during a very early Heroes for Hire during its new run, or the Sasqautch which Alpha Flight thought was The former member Sasqautch.

I would rather he be someone else, but I can't really see it being Goliath or Armadillo and they are the only Super strong characters I could properly remember. What about troll? does he exsist?

Taipan- I wanted a Batmanesque last chancer on the team, and with the advent of the new Viper book....

Rock Haliday, is an omage to Nick Fury and the Howling Comando's, kept in suspended animation for 30 years, his country and the world needs a man who can control a team of individuals even in the blackest of places... Cpt Rock Holiday is to be the man.

----------------------------------

So what do you all think?

Grond, the idea is get raging beast, keep it under tight control via drugs or mental conditioning or what have you. Its my homage to the Hulk during a very early Heroes for Hire during its new run, or the Sasqautch which Alpha Flight thought was The former member Sasqautch.

I would rather he be someone else, but I can't really see it being Goliath or Armadillo and they are the only Super strong characters I could properly remember. What about troll? does he exsist?

I believe you are thinking of Ogre and yes he is in the new enemies book Conquerors, Killers and Crooks. Grond is also there as well some other classics as well as some new ones. Interestingly now that you mention it there was a plan by the military to control Grond called Project Greenskin. It involved controlling Grond by using neuro-electrodes and implanting them in his brain. It failed unfortunately causing many deaths. The whole story is in Champions Universe.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by starblaze

I believe you are thinking of Ogre and yes he is in the new enemies book Conquerors, Killers and Crooks. Grond is also there as well some other classics as well as some new ones. Interestingly now that you mention it there was a plan by the military to control Grond called Project Greenskin. It involved controlling Grond by using neuro-electrodes and implanting them in his brain. It failed unfortunately causing many deaths. The whole story is in Champions Universe.

He may be thinking of Ogre, but Troll was a 4th ed character.

The Mutant Files - superstrong, regenerating brick with damage reduction instead of resistant defenses...

Give Grond a DNPC..."Psychiatrist"

He speaks in a thick Austrian accent (as a homage to a zillino Nazi villains)

He claims to be able to successfully control Grond, via a combination of drugs, hypnosis, and cookies. Only he can do it.

Pertinent Skills:

K.S. : Psychiatry >20 (I refuse to list it as a science)

K.S. : Grond Control Methods, <18

Sci: Psychology <16

He has a 2d6 NND attack, continous, Only vs. Grond. He has a small remote control to activate it. (IIF: Implanted Electric zapper)

Should combat be expected, he will don his bulletproof vest, hook a portable spycam to Grond's head, and follow his movements with his laptop.

Quote: "Grond! I command you to turn left! Pick up the Bad Man! Good Boy! Grond, throw the Bad Man into Orbit! Have a cookie Grond!"

Lastly, put Grond in a camouflage outfit.

Note: The government must never do anything in a logical way. It violates the genre.