Constant Shapeshifting disadvantage

phoenix240

The character's normal form is visibly inhuman. It is imporant that she keep this hidden because nonhumans aren't accepted or even known in the setting so her appearance would cause great alarm. Fortunately, she is a shapeshifter and can ape a human appearance.

The drawback is that holding this form takes effort. She's practiced it enough over the years that its not a great strain. It doesn't cost endurance. but keeping it up is a little distracting, like focusing on keeping a muscle tensed or maintaining strict posture. If she is startled, extremely emotionally distraught or has to focus intently on something else (like intense combat) she regains her normal appearance.

Would Accidental Change be a good way to represent this? It is similar to the movie version of Mystique's problem.

Re: Constant Shapeshifting disadvantage

Accidental Change is probably the easiest way to model this. (I did something similar with my version of The Martian Manhunter)

The other more complicated method would be to build the Shapeshift power with 0 END but no Persistant. I considered the approach with MM above but it would have required ripping Shapeshift out of the Multipower and essentially making the character weaker just to better define a Power Limitiation (I use this same argument against Endurance Reserve builds whose primary purpose is not to have Stunned/KO'd proof END but instead to model Limitations on END Recovery).

Accidental Change sounds good' date=' perhaps with a point reduction that the character can potentially make an EGO roll to prevent the reversion.[/quote']

I agree, just choose the roll to change appropriately. How often can they make an EGO roll?? If they only fail such a roll Infrequently then the Accidental Change should be 8 or less, you'll be assumed to be resisting but fail only so often.

What about being Stunned/K.O.? Nothing happening here?

The APG has something on the matter of "more detailed accidental changes", page 148:

Here it is said the roll has to be made after "one segment or less" of exposure and has to be remade every phase.

For -5 Complciation both become "Extra Phase"

For -10 they becomes "1 Turn".

Accidental Change is probably the easiest way to model this. (I did something similar with my version of The Martian Manhunter)

The other more complicated method would be to build the Shapeshift power with 0 END but no Persistant. I considered the approach with MM above but it would have required ripping Shapeshift out of the Multipower and essentially making the character weaker just to better define a Power Limitiation (I use this same argument against Endurance Reserve builds whose primary purpose is not to have Stunned/KO'd proof END but instead to model Limitations on END Recovery).

This is exactly the approach I would take for this power. With the addition of Accidental Change on an appropriate roll.

Tasha

PS I would rep you if I hadn't done it elsewhere so recently

Now just to be contrary, I wouldn't do it that way. Accidental change means that you can not change back until the circumstances are altered, and that does not sound like what you are describing: it sounds more like the mask slipping if you fail to concentrate hard enough or are distracted, as opposed to the character actually taking on another form or identity or form. (Having said that if there were a whole raft of powers linked to the shapeshift then I might feel differently, but there is nothing to suggest that in the original post.)

This sounds more like a classic ‘limited power’ (6E1.382): build the shapeshift as zero END but not persistent and take a ‘limited power’: original form revealed when startled/under great stress). Shapeshift is a ‘perfect disguise’ for the senses it affects, so the limitation is worth anywhere from ‘loses less than a fourth of overall effectiveness’ to ‘loses about a third of overall effectiveness’ depending on the game and how exactly you define the power as stopping working, and how often that is important. I’d probably give it -1/4 and call it good.

You could couple that with a social complication/hunted/distinctive features to deal with how people react when they find out and you are good to go.

You get a better defined power and you save a few points.

EDIT: ...and no reason it could not remain in a multipower.

This sounds more like a classic ‘limited power’ (6E1.382): build the shapeshift as zero END but not persistent and take a ‘limited power’: original form revealed when startled/under great stress). Shapeshift is a ‘perfect disguise’ for the senses it affects' date=' so the limitation is worth anywhere from ‘loses less than a fourth of overall effectiveness’ to ‘loses about a third of overall effectiveness’ depending on the game and how exactly you define the power as stopping working, and how often that is important. I’d probably give it -1/4 and call it good.[/quote']

The problem with non-persistant is, that it also stop when stunned or K.O. and I am not certain he wants that to happen (if that is okay, then it makes the entire thing easier).

Perhaps a conditional, required roll during use? There is a variant of required roll so you have to make roll's throughout the use, but I have no idea if you can make them conditional too.

EDIT: ...and no reason it could not remain in a multipower.

Please keep in mind I was talking specifically about how I approached build Martian Manhunter.

His 'true-form' is not the one with the red X and Blue shorts & cape.

It is far more alien in appearance. I you dictate that he is constantly using Shapeshift to maintain his super-form and it's in the multipower it means anytime he switches slots he takes on his actual 'true-form' which didn't actually happen every time in the comics or JLAnimated (the source of the following pictures).

This is his super-form:

martian_manhunter.jpg

This is his true-form:

cartoon.jpg

Now just to be contrary' date=' I wouldn't do it that way. Accidental change means that you can not change back until the circumstances are altered, and that does not sound like what you are describing: it sounds more like the mask slipping if you fail to concentrate hard enough or are distracted, as opposed to the character actually taking on another form or identity or form. [/quote']

He is taking on another form, though ... his original one, instead of the disguise, and if he slips, it seems reasonable that he couldn't turn back until the circumstances are altered; in this case, he needs to calm down.

The problem with non-persistant is, that it also stop when stunned or K.O. and I am not certain he wants that to happen (if that is okay, then it makes the entire thing easier).

Perhaps a conditional, required roll during use? There is a variant of required roll so you have to make roll's throughout the use, but I have no idea if you can make them conditional too.

We'll need the OP to clarify, but the description is:

but keeping it up is a little distracting, like focusing on keeping a muscle tensed or maintaining strict posture

If that is how it is, I'd say that when you voluntarily, or involuntarily relaxed then you would change appearance, which sounds like it is non-persistent. The trouble with 'roll required' is that you will end up making too many rolls and losing 'definition' too often; I think a 'user/GM defined limited power' is probably best, to reflect how much of a problem it actually is and how often it comes up.

He is taking on another form' date=' though ... his original one, instead of the disguise, and if he slips, it seems reasonable that he couldn't turn back until the circumstances are altered; in this case, he needs to calm down.[/quote']

He is certainly taking on a different apearance, but that may be all that changes: that is no different to deciding you are going to talk in a deep gravelly voice. In intense combat you might - but only might - forget to talk in a deep gravelly voice. You would not necessarily need to be out of the situation to switch back to your bass rumble - ust hearing yourself squeaking might well be sufficient reminder. It all depends what is intended, but it seems to me that even a momentary slip could cause problems for this character given the prejudice their appearance will cause.

Please keep in mind I was talking specifically about how I approached build Martian Manhunter.

His 'true-form' is not the one with the red X and Blue shorts & cape.

It is far more alien in appearance. I you dictate that he is constantly using Shapeshift to maintain his super-form and it's in the multipower it means anytime he switches slots he takes on his actual 'true-form' which didn't actually happen every time in the comics or JLAnimated (the source of the following pictures).

I think your approach is probably the rifght one for that character, but I'm not sure that the one described in the OP works that way: if it does, cool.

The other design consideration here is that there is a real difference between Complication points and Character points: the first balance you out, the latter give you more to play with (although I appreciate that may not matter much if it is a power in a MP). Being Hero there is always going to be more than one approach, and there is no single 'right' way to do it, but it is a matter of style and proper definition; I'm just presenting another option.