5e Vehicle Design Problems

Fryguy

I have a "Children of the X-men" campaign I'm running and the group has decided it's time to buy the SR-71 Blackbird. However, when I use the Vehicle template in the HD and try to approximate the length and width of the actual plane then the weight is way too high. The actual SR-71 had about 12 levels of Size which the HD gives 409.6ktons. However, the actual plane was only 67.5ktons empty. Is there a way to minimize the weight or do I (as GM) just say that it weighs less regardless of the size levels?

Re: 5e Vehicle Design Problems

What you want is similar to "Density Decrease" (wich is still not really defined in 6E).

The best way would be:

Find out what something with 12 Level of Size has as Complications/Modifiers.

Find out what something with its Desitiy Increased to around 67.5 tons has in the same area.

Take the parts that size governs (like bonus to hit) from the Size values.

Take the parts that weight governs (like KB, increased durability) from the Weight values.

I have a "Children of the X-men" campaign I'm running and the group has decided it's time to buy the SR-71 Blackbird. However' date=' when I use the Vehicle template in the HD and try to approximate the length and width of the actual plane then the weight is way too high. The actual SR-71 had about 12 levels of Size which the HD gives 409.6ktons. However, the actual plane was only 67.5ktons empty. Is there a way to minimize the weight or do I (as GM) just say that it weighs less regardless of the size levels?[/quote']

One thing to remember about the vehicle design table in Hero (5th or 6th ed) is that the mass and physical dimensions for a given size assume a "solid brick" shaped vehicle, with no allowance for vehicles of different shapes. I'd give the SR-71 whatever SIZE it needs to have the appropriate mass, then adjust its dimensions. It'll be longer and thinner than what's given for a "standard brick-shaped vehicle" of its SIZE, and also wider due to the wing-span, but most of that "extra" volume will be empty space. The actual volume inside the fuselage of the plane will probably be pretty close to a normal vehicle of its SIZE and mass.

One thing to remember about the vehicle design table in Hero (5th or 6th ed) is that the mass and physical dimensions for a given size assume a "solid brick" shaped vehicle' date=' with no allowance for vehicles of different shapes. I'd give the SR-71 whatever SIZE it needs to have the appropriate mass, then adjust its dimensions. It'll be longer and thinner than what's given for a "standard brick-shaped vehicle" of its SIZE, and also wider due to the wing-span, but most of that "extra" volume will be empty space. The actual volume inside the fuselage of the plane will probably be pretty close to a normal vehicle of its SIZE and mass.[/quote']

Well, darn, that's an even better idea. I've been doing it the other way 'round all these years. :)

Thank you for all the suggestions. I already did a cut out of the vehicle (kinda like the minis for Car Wars) and we use it on the board. I really like the takes more KB idea; I never would have thought of that.

How often do you feel that somebody being able to lift & throw the plane is going to be important to the game?

Not very important. Unlike the Blackbird of X-men fame, this one has YET to be destroyed although it has taken severe damage.