What would your character do? #8

Hermit

I suppose I should go with some of mine since i started this thread.

Apex: He'd be utterly confused. He's used to being played with by powers above him, but this... this is... not their style. He might just fly off for a long high moment, until he could clear his head. Then he'd go back to the city and spy on his daughter... make sure she's safe. If he was given reason to believe he was a robot and never was the real Apex.... he'd likely save the real one, then leave the city to forge a new 'life', if life this is.

Lone Star: Stunned is not the word. ... good grief, he would hope if he IS a robot, he was at least made in Texas. Fortunately, he has some brainiacs to turn to, as well as one Alien Life form robot like fellow to turn to. If it turned out he wasn't the real Lone Star... well, he might lose some of that idealism.

Mmm.... I'll think of how the others would react later.

Shadowcross lost most of her humanity when she developed the Shadowcross personality. The Elizabeth mind would find a way to cope but never reconcile to being a robot.

Mayday I said would be much grimmer. She is a very 'alive' girl and this would kill much of her zest I think. She has a very strong sense of duty and so would go on with life but a future without children of her own...

The one who would be most broken by this of mine would be White Fist. She was US Army, was captured by Russians and brainwashed, mutated into a Soviet Super Soldier (Brick) and turned loose on her countrymen. Eventually UNTIL captured and unbrainwashed her... but with the knowledge that she is actually a robot she'd quickly realize the russians don't have that kind of technology and so it was probably a supervillain, and somewhere inside her is probably buried programming making her the ultimate sleeper agent, even when she thought she was freed. All her rage that has kept her going, helped her rebuild her self confidence would vanish and leave fear and uncertainty. Eventually she'd have to suicide, as the only way to ensure she will not harm her countrymen again.

Originally posted by Trebuchet

This is a really cool question, but I must confess I'm really surprised at how many players think their characters would just shrug and go on with their superheroing after being turned into a machine.

More details on the three I already posted regarding this...

Warg is already pretty unhuman. He has a lot of trouble interacting with the rest of human society as it is, and is quite cynical as a result, so I don't see him as being overly fazed by this turn of events.

Glaive just wouldn't understand what was going on, as she's not very familiar with modern technology. She would assume that the fact that her wrist is made of something other than blood and bone is a consequence of the weapon that cut her hand off, and not a pre-existing condition. She probably wouldn't immediately think to check whether the rest of her is similarly affected. Once she had consulted with someone who understood technology better, she would be deeply troubled, though she would probably have difficulty grasping the full ramifications without having them explained to her in very simple terms. Definite "who am I?" materiel at that point.

As mentioned, Dynamode would freak out right at the outset and jet off to find her father, looking for consolation and an explanation. At first she would be concerned that she might be being taken over by her armour. If that proved not to be the case, and she really was a robot, the natural next questions would be if her father built her, if there was a "real" her, what happened to the "real" her, and so forth. She'd be very confused and looking to her father to provide the answers.

Originally posted by Trebuchet

I can't believe replacing all your body parts with robotics would be such a non-event for most characters. I would think it would be tremendously traumatic for many if not most characters.

No you're right for most people it would be a total shut down, which is why I didn’t post what my other characters would do.

But the Argus character is a Robotic Wiz who took Machine Language as one of his languages. If he found out he was a robot the first thing he would do is see if he was one of his robots or someone else’s.

Depending on the answer would depend on what he did next.

My other characters would just shut down for awhile not being able to cope with it.

Argus.

Princess Starfire: She would be really annoyed that someone cut her hand off. Then she would have to deal with the fact that she wasn't the real Princess. She would of course make sure that she was 100% robotic. If so, she would then go looking for the real Princess as she would obviously be a decoy who forgot her programing. She would also look into whether or not there WAS a real Princess Starfire or if that was an implanted memory. She would then check all of her past and really dig to find all of the "secret" government files on her. All to make sure of her past. It would also explain her interest in AI.

Fury: It would explain Mechanon's obsession with her. She would also go into reserach mode to find out if her Father built her or just found her. She would also do lots of soulsearching to understand if her motivations are caused by life experiences or by pre-programing (kind of Nurture vs Nature on an AI scale). She would become more solitary and less likely to want companionship, until she had this figured out. This would also make her guilt over the deaths of her parents and their teemmates even harder to bear.

Tasha :)

The Rook would do a few different things, one of which would be casting a transform "self" to "Organic self" (60 point unified theory psionic VPP). if that didn't work would asume _this_ is a part of his Alex V personality and therefor should be relatively safe.

Fir Bolg would be curious if this was a side effect of the demonic/pan dimensional event(think Fall of the Mutants) that triggered his powers.

Neither one would truly consider himself a reasonable application for a robot. ADDH + mercurial personality and you want _that_ to be a friggin robot? gimme a break.

• 2 months later...

Husky will be outraged that Kenneth built a Huskibot at first but then think "cool I can team up with the real me and the best part is I won't ever have to change into Kenneth. Maybe I can get Kenneth to build more of me." Then he'd lumber off to find Kenneth and get repaired.