"Holy Silver Age, Batman!"

phoenix240

Your character interrupts a bizarre heist in progress in a crowded suburban shopping mall. It isn't the jewelery store, banks or electronics stores that are being ripped off, not even the chain stores but the Food Court. And perps are just as strange as their choice of target. The leader is a man in a tight figting black suit and cowl armed with what appears to be a high tech water gun attached to a backpack with multiple barrels. He calls himself "The Condiment King". Backing him up are two females: Salt and Pepper that act as body guard and some thuggettes in gaudy spice themed gets ups: Thyme, Rosemary, Cinnamon, Ginger and Ms Dash (who's notably quick but not superhuman) that he calls his "Spice Girls". They are focused on looting the cash registers and shaking down the patrons while the Condiment King rants about the crimes against taste being committed her, including lecture the heroes about igoring the real villains here.

Apprehending this loon proves to be more difficult that it looks as his flavorful weaponry actually works and his comedic henchmen are actually formidable as agents go. Worse, he's not the last. Suddenly your campaign city is hit with a wave of Silver Age theme villains, committing crimes that don't make allot of sense even for supervillains. Even more bizarre is that they seem t come out of nowhere. No one has heard of these guys or their (how are they recruiting these people?) before. They certainly aren't in any law enforcement databases. One small blessing is, despite occasional rants to contrary these guys don't seem invested in hurting anyone just getting loot and pursuing whatever weird agenda they have. Their weapons (and they all seem to have odd equipment) are generally nonlethal and at least not likely to inflict life threatening injury against any but the most fragile bystander.

But you can't let a wave of lunatics run wild, endangering property and peace of mind. Someone has to stop this.

How does your character approach the mystery of the Silver Age Plague?

More details upcoming.

Re: "Holy Silver Age, Batman!"

Iron Maiden takes them in stride. Her rogues' gallery includes characters like Doctor Otaku (a shut-in technical genius who builds anime-themed robots to commit his crimes, and has an unhealthy fixation on Iron Maiden herself), the Radiation Ravager (a scrawny college-aged kid with only a single superpower: radiation eyeblasts--the classic eggshell with a sledgehammer character design), and...Iron Maiden (a powered-armor wearing gal who hates our heroine for taking that name before SHE did, and never misses an opportunity to attack or trashtalk her). Weird and quirky opponents are nothing new for Iron Maiden.

The Black Knight would laugh at them...while doing his best to pound them into submission. Given that he named himself after the Monty Python character, he would find their "themed" personas amusing, but would still take their abilities seriously.

Raven would pay them little attention. She's more interested in dealing with the much more serious (and more violent) crimes of the local organized crime families and street gangs. She'll let the colorfully costumed heroes deal with these clown.

Landslide would at first asume some joke with a hidden camera. But I guess the first attack should clear any misconceptions. She would try to call in her team, aprehend as many as possible and the talk them into revealing where the come from (unless a teammeber is better in finding it out).

And then she would plug whatever temporal hole spat them out. After shoving them all back in, if possible...

With horrible puns ... like reminding the villain that he'll soon be betrayed, because Thyme Is On My Side!

And he can try to run, but I'm certain to ketchup! He can't cut the mustard, and I'll relish taking him in!

Seriously, for most of my characters, this would be like a vacation.

Interrogating the loons

Doesn't reveal too much. Life obsessions with their particular theme, intricate knowledge of it and related subjects and some sever OCD overall. Characters with psychological skills could determine that they are delusional, perhaps borderline psychotic.

All are from fairly normal backgrounds, no part criminal records beyond parking tickets and the like if that much. No history of hospitalization for psychiatric issue. They're all about the same age (late 20s) and reasonably healthy.

Their minions are odder. They are is no record of them at all and they don't have names beyond their assigned code names. In fact, they don't remember (or what acknowledge) anything but being these guy's flunkies. They're also disturbingly alike. All the thugs of one "Master villain" resemble each other as if they're close related. Their personalities are rather flat and uninteresting aside from being completely and blindly loyal to the "boss".

With horrible puns ... like reminding the villain that he'll soon be betrayed, because Thyme Is On My Side!

And he can try to run, but I'm certain to ketchup! He can't cut the mustard, and I'll relish taking him in!

My thoughts exactly! Mosy of my heroes have to rely on others to figure out the important details. My guys were usually in charge of the obvious stuff like stopping villains in the act.

Vigil would follow them - invisibly - back to their hideout. He'd come back later, reprising his old identity as the villian Stalker to deal with them - just in case things get... harsh. And agent-level sidekicks? I survived Eurostar. A pack of agents would be meat on the table.

Once they are subdued... take the loot (such as it is), donate it to some worthwhile charity, and call the cops.

Vigil would follow them - invisibly - back to their hideout. He'd come back later' date=' reprising his old identity as the villian [b']Stalker[/b] to deal with them - just in case things get... harsh. And agent-level sidekicks? I survived Eurostar. A pack of agents would be meat on the table.

Once they are subdued... take the loot (such as it is), donate it to some worthwhile charity, and call the cops.

That's how he handles all of them?

Best way, isn't it?

They aren't really hurting anyone, so provoking an open battle might well cause more casualties and damage than just letting the crime suceed... for the moment. And once these goofs are stripped of their toys and tied up, cops should be able to handle things quite nicely, so I can move on to the next goofball.

Mandate would probably wind up causing far, far more damage then the villians could dream of ever doing. After she learnt her lesson the hard way she'd wait until they had "escaped" and were well away from anything breakable before even trying to do anything.

Mandate would probably wind up causing far' date=' far more damage then the villians could dream of ever doing. After she learnt her lesson the hard way she'd wait until they had "escaped" and were well away from anything breakable before even trying to do anything.[/quote']

Welcome to the board. :)

Then you'd assault them, peppering them with attacks, but being careful because his weapons are all new and far from being worn out are in mint condition. But the chips are down and there is too much at stake. You could try to track him back to his lair and capture the rest of his organisation but the main thing is to capture him, the rest is gravy. Of course then he'll end up doing porridge*.

* English slang for jail.

How do you know you can ketchup? He might have a souped up car.

Looking into their technology

Its incomprehensible. Most of it is clearly homebrewed or built from common items but beyond that it doesn't make much sense. The more technically inclined will be able to determine that not only does some of this stuff not make a lick of sense, some of it just flat out -shouldn't- work, in some cases should have failed in spectacular and dangerous ways

Going back to the hideouts

The villains "hideouts" are typical homes and apartments with the occasional abandoned warehouse or building. They're cluttered with reminders of the villain's particular obsession as a kind of garish decoration. Oddly enough, there is no room for the goons, no quarters, no provision made for them at all.

The Simian Sentential would recognize that the wide-spread plague of Silver Age crimes necessitates an equally broad response. At the same time, he’d recognize that it is best to fight fire with fire.

To these ends, the Simian Sentential would organize law abiding citizens into a task force to combat these foolish supervillains. Members of Bad-Ass Normals Against Naughty Antagonists would be recognizable by their bright yellow shirts and green berets and would swear to report and oppose themed crime wherever it may occur.

What’s more, the Sentential who need to apply combat and interrogation techniques appropriate to each villain. So the Condiment King can be expected to be battered with pans from Panda Express while SS asks “Soy, wok’s the matter with you?”