Staff of the Druid

TheNaga

How would do Clairsentience with a range (900")?

The Staff of the Druid lets the user pass thruough tress. what do you think of what I have so far?

Pass Plant: Tunneling 5m through 3 PD material, Fill In (21 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), Limitation (only thru vegetable matter; -1/4), Tunnel only close after one turn (-1/4)

Would the following be the best way for the Staff of the Druid to allow its use to pass thruough plants?

Plant Trail: Tunneling 5m through 3 PD material, Fill In (21 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), Limitation (only thru vegetable matter; -1/4), Tunnel only close after one turn (-1/4)

Re: Staff of the Druid

I would say:

Desolidifcation, Only to Pass Through Trees, Does not Protects from Damage (of course you can "hide" inside a tree, but you must be able to see outside)

Clairsentience has a Standart Range of Base Points Times 10 in Meter. Range Multipliers can be bought a Adders (6E1 179, Clairsentience Summary Table)

Can the character affect the world while using the Staff to pass through plants? -Technically- he would still need Affects Real World on his attacks and some other Powers while "desolid". The GM might reduce or waive that in light of the fact the character isn't invulnerable.

Tunneling, can fill in the hole might work better if not. The SFX doesn't have to cause any damage to the medium at all, particularly if you get Invisible Power Effects (SFX).

I would support the desolidification. Tunnelling implies damage to the trees. Alos might try activation rolls as this could add some fun and variety.

When it fills in not. Propably needs IPE (leaves no "trail") to work totally without harming the three.

Can the character affect the world while using the Staff to pass through plants? -Technically- he would still need Affects Real World on his attacks and some other Powers while "desolid". The GM might reduce or waive that in light of the fact the character isn't invulnerable.

That might not be a problem. I thought about a character with different "Walk through elements" Powers and my reaseaoning for them being unable to attack was simply that "they have to go in a state of mental passiveness towards the world". Could work for this Desolidification movement too.

Would I need the following two powers?

Wood Speak: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Only to see past (-1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only where plants can grow (-1/4)

Speak with Plants: Telepathy 7d6 (Plants class of minds) (35 Active Points); only usable by the wielder of the staff (-1/4)

How do I make it where the staff will not cause any damage to animals and plants unless they are evil?

Wood Speak: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes' date=' -2), Only to see past (-1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only where plants can grow (-1/4)[/quote']

Looks good.

Speak with Plants: Telepathy 7d6 (Plants class of minds) (35 Active Points); only usable by the wielder of the staff (-1/4)

I am not certain what that will acomplish. Plants only have touch sense and potentially lack memory. Also it is normal that only the wielder of the Staff can use it's powers.

What exaclty will be the result that isn't covered by the Retrocognitive Clairsentience?

How do I make it where the staff will not cause any damage to animals and plants unless they are evil?

Right now, the staff does no damage against anything. It's not even defined as a focus/something restrainable and nothing in the SFX sugest it could even be used as "Improvised Weapon". So when you give it a HTH-Attack Power (staffs and clubs tend to do normal Damage), just place a Limitation "not vs. non Evil Animals and Plants".

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should focus on why a druid would walk through a tree when he could very well walk around it? I mean, even a large fantasy tree would only take a couple of extra steps, why would this druid risk damaging the tree? I don't we've defined what advantage the druid would have, by walking through the plants/trees. Is it for improved movement or is it for concealment, as in another fantasy settings' pass without trace?

I think the tunneling could be bought as a single power, requiring medium to heavy plant cover and have tunneling be at a decent movement rate. And unless you are going to be almost always in a thick forest/jungle setting, I would think the Plants only limitation would be worth well more than -1/4. -1 or more is my vote.

As for the ESP, you might limit it to plants that were alive at the time of the event. So events near long-lived oak trees would be perceivable, but only events after the catastrophic brush fire would be available in the grassy plain. This helps give the GM an 'out' if knowing the info would ruin a plot.

ditto what the others said about the attack and telepathy.

I think we should focus on why a druid would walk through a tree when he could very well walk around it? I mean' date=' even a large fantasy tree would only take a couple of extra steps, why would this druid risk damaging the tree? I don't we've defined what advantage the druid would have, by walking through the plants/trees. Is it for improved movement or is it for concealment, as in another fantasy settings' pass without trace? [/quote']

It sounds like a D&D coversion. Druids have this ability with plants and some magic items have a similar effect.

Desolidification only trees sounds like the best option.

Tunelling sounds damaging to the tree espcially if it stays open for a turn etc.

What about Teleport with a limitation from tree to tree within range (and must be desolidified). Covers the Druid teleport around in a forest trick as well.

Tunelling sounds damaging to the tree espcially if it stays open for a turn etc.

Not when it has "fills in" and "IPE". And it would certainly allow you to dig into the thee and stay there. The advantage of Desolid is that the PD/Body of the tree isn't a factor.

What about Teleport with a limitation from tree to tree within range (and must be desolidified). Covers the Druid teleport around in a forest trick as well.

I would buy teleport without Desolidifciation. That he walks into/vanishes into the tree is just a sfx of the teleport. A desolidifed teleporter with penetrating senses or clairsentience is a high danger to game balance...

The "passes through trees" is actually a teleport. The D&D druid uses this to travel from one tree to another tree within a 900" distance as a means of travel. I would use a teleport with limited range and requiring 1" of movement to use, the step in and then step out on the other end. It would be the closest tree to desired destination in the direction up to 900" for simplicity. Place it on a focus for reduced cost and done. If I remember correctly, this was debated in an article and would still be useable when there are no trees in that desired direction. The druid would actually just go to the nearest tree to the original even if in wrong direction. It would give weird results in a desert or plains. Blasting the tree just prevents the druid from returning via that specific tree.

I think one question to ask about the idealized power is whether or not you can use it to cross a ravine by stepping in an oak on one side and out from a maple on the other. If you can do that then the teleport option is appropriate.

Tunneling might be appropriate if your setting is full of redwood-esque megaflora. Otherwise I wouldn’t have a problem with a tunnel power having the SFX that it doesn’t do damage to the plant, but I can see how others would infer a different interaction.

Desolidifcation works nice if all you’re trying to get the character to do is move through plants unhindered.

As a final alternative, you could set up the power as a naked advantage to your run speed: not slowed by dense foliage. This wouldn’t let your character run through a redwood, but he’d still be much more agile in a forest environment then most characters. I’d say in most case, trees only take up about a square meter on the tactical anyway, so your character would be able to dodge around those pretty well. That said, this only a good power to get if your campaign actually simulates dense foliage as a terrain feature; it has been my experience that most campaigns do not.

Desolidifcation works nice if all you’re trying to get the character to do is move through plants unhindered.

As a final alternative, you could set up the power as a naked advantage to your run speed: not slowed by dense foliage. This wouldn’t let your character run through a redwood, but he’d still be much more agile in a forest environment then most characters. I’d say in most case, trees only take up about a square meter on the tactical anyway, so your character would be able to dodge around those pretty well. That said, this only a good power to get if your campaign actually simulates dense foliage as a terrain feature; it has been my experience that most campaigns do not.

You should instead take a look to penalty skill levels. They are designed to move through adverse terrain.