Back to Basics Designs

Cassandra

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Back to Basics Designs

To Greywind

I gave the LS: Self Contained OIF: Helmet (-1/2) as a way of showing the value of wearing all of the armor. Technically he shouldn't have the rest of the Life Support just for wearing the rest of the suit either.

Superman - 1950s TV series - First Draft

Val Char Cost

40 STR 30

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

12 COM 1

8 PD 0

8 ED 4

4 SPD 10

12 REC 0

40 END 0

40 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 103 Points

Cost Powers

39 Armour 13 rPD 13 rED

60 Powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men!: Multipower (60 Points)

1 u) Faster than a speeding bullet!: Missile Deflection (all physical missiles) (15 Active Points).

2 u) More powerful than a locomotive!: +60 STR (60 Active Points); Only To Stop Moving Objects (-2).

4 u) Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!: Flight 10”, x32 Noncombat (40 Active Points).

5 u) Can change the course of mighty rivers!: Tunneling 10” through DEF 10 materials (50 Active points).

4 u) Can bend steel in his bare hands!: Dispel Technological Object 16d6, any one Technological Object power one at a time (+¼) (60 Active Points); No Range (-½).

4 u) Rip off vault door: Tunneling 1” through DEF 18 materials (56 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-¼).

7 X-Ray Vision: N-Ray Perception (Sight Group) (blocked by lead); Concentrate: ½ DCV, Must Concentrate throughout (-½).

10 Supersenses: Enhanced Perception +5 to PER Roll for all Sense Groups (15 Active Points); Concentrate: ½ DCV, Must Concentrate throughout (-½).

Total Powers Cost: 136 Points

Skills and extra stuff 11

Total Cost: 250 Points

Background: "Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! ("Look! Up in the sky!" "It's a bird!" "It's a plane!" "It's Superman!")... Yes, it's Superman ... strange visitor from another planet, who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men! Superman ... who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way!"

Notes: First Draft.

Mainly based on the opening sequence, plus the vault door bit.

His lame defences are based on him mainly being only threatened by thugs with revolvers, although it's a bit iffy when he is shown taking serious electrical current. On the other hand, if he is assumed to be insulated (flying), the damage wouldn't be all that much BtB anyway. In any case, this scene was pure showboating - in a game he wouldn't have stuck his arm in the switch.

I'd like to bump up his Str and Armour anyway. An MP slot for extra strength would be nice.

His dispel allows him to crush handguns. His extremely high Non-Combat Modifier on his flight allows him to catch up with jets. Actually catching jets might require an extra strength slot - but that's why he sat on the one he saved from crashing, obviously. ;)

Of course, being Superman, a "Superman bonus" would be totally appropriate, but I haven't bothered for this version.

In case anyone doesn't realise, I made heavy use of both Ultimate Speedster and Ultimate Brick.

Yeah' date=' but his "Missile Deflection" was "strike a pose and get shot".[/quote']

Mostly, but even that can be a special effect of Missile Deflection. ;)

I also have a vague memory of him actually catching a bullet in one scene.

Besides, it's a good way of doing the "Faster than a speeding bullet" thing, without adding an expensive movement power.

He really does need more Str and Armour though. END is a problem too, of course. I'd also like to give him a bit more Pre, although he can get away with what he has.

A 50 point "Superman Bonus":

20 STR +20

21 Armour +7 rPD, +7 rED

5 PRE +5

4 ED +4

Green Lantern

Alan Scott

(From All-American Comics #16 & #19)

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

8 PD 4

8 ED 4

4 SPD 10

8 REC 0

40 END 0

30 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Powers

20 Armour 20 rPD; Not versus wood (-1/2)

21 Armour 14 rED

30 Flight 15"

40 Multipower (40 Point Base)

4 u) Desolidification

4 u) Energy Blast 8d6

Total Powers Cost: 119 Points

Cost Skills

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

Total Skills Cost: 16 Points

15 More skills and other stuff

Background: "When Alan Scott became owner of a mysterious GREEN LANTERN he was endowed with supernatural attributes by means of Will-Power! A ring was fashioned from part of the lantern… one of whose functions tends to make Alan immune to all metals!!… With this potent ring, which must touch the lantern once every twenty-four hours to retain its power, he becomes a scourge of evil… becomes know to evil doers as the dreaded GREEN LANTERN!"

Note: I haven't been able to check #17 and #18, which may have included some extra powers. They could probably be stuck in the multipower if need be. I think he may have used "hypnosis" pretty early on, for example.

Obviously I haven't bothered with focus limitations and so on. Frankly, this is the way he appeared in these two stories. He could be tuned for greater effectiveness in a game.

The "touch the lantern" bit would be a Disadvantage, not a Limitation.

The "immune to metals" vs "vulnerable to wood" thing is kind of ambiguous in these stories. The blurb text quoted above lends itself to the "immune to metals" reading, but the game effect would be pretty much the same. Except, of course, if it affected his EB and/or Desol. Factoring those in would allow him to buy any extra powers he wanted. I've only applied the Limitation to his PD Armour, since I can't really see a wood-based attack versus ED.

I have to admit that I left him this simple for the shock value. Yes, Green Lantern was this straightforward when he started.

My next character will probably be the (Golden Age) Atom.

He's kind of odd - a "stealth diversity" character that Jewish readers would have recognised as being based on Joe Greenstein, but non-Jewish readers probably wouldn't have.

He was also one of the core JSA characters.

I might have to design a car or a motor bike for him, since he doesn't have any movement powers apart from better than average human level running. Unfortunately, that would tend to steal the thunder from Wildcat and Black Canary, both of whom had riding bikes as major parts of what they did. Then again, Wildcat wasn't really a JSA member - more like a guest star - so he doesn't matter, but Black Canary does. (Wildcat didn't really come into his own until the Silver Age revival of the JSA.)

The Atom (Golden Age)

Al Pratt

(From All-American Comics #19)

Val Char Cost

25 STR 15

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

8 PD 3

8 ED 4

4 SPD 10

9 REC 0

40 END 0

37 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 104 Points

Cost Powers

1 Leaping +1”

6 Running +3"

2 Swimming +2”

Total Powers Cost: 6 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics

3 Breakfall

3 Climbing

16 Combat Skill Levels: +2 with All Combat

3 Concealment

3 Conversation

3 Deduction

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

3 Paramedics

3 Persuasion

3 Shadowing

3 Stealth

3 Streetwise

Total Skills Cost: 65 Points

Cost Talents

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Total Talents Cost: 6 Points

19 More skills and other stuff

Total Cost: 200 Points

Background: "An Atom is absolutely the smallest thing on Earth -- so we find our little friend Al Pratt, much to his discomfort, dubbed "Atom Al" by his college friends -- who constantly kid him about his small size."

98-pound weakling Al Pratt, was bullied at school and unable to impress the girl of his dreams, Mary James.

One day Pratt, a kind-hearted man, bought dinner for a vagrant who turned out to be Joe Morgan, former boxing trainer. Morgan promised Pratt he could be made into a he-man with the right training. In less than a year Pratt became a skilled and strong fighter, and he decided to use his new ability to protect the oppressed as the mystery man Atom. (All-American Comics #19)

Note: Based on All-American #19 and guesswork. As a result he doesn't have much of a skill set.

I gave him 25 STR because of his tendency to break things.

Actually, the way you do things is very well suited to Golden Age characters. They tended to be very simple an straightforward, with very limited applications of their powers. Also, the threats were generally not super-powered, so you could have someone like Al Prat as a reasonably effective hero. He was essentially just a strongman/acrobat/boxer with a bad attitude. You would have a hard time making that concept viable nowadays, without some added oomph. Guys like Daredevil and Batman all have extras added in now. The last remaining character I can think of that is still like that is the original Wildcat, and IIRC he was supplanted by some sort of were cat creature recently.

Heck, in the Golden Age even guys like Green Lantern were just as likely to throw a punch as use their powers.

Anyway, nice builds.

Actually' date=' the way you do things is very well suited to Golden Age characters.[/quote']

Thank you.

Up next: Hawkman.

Apparently he didn't start with his "talking to birds" stuff, so he should be easy.

But he will need a VPP (Gadget Pool) for his weapons.

Hawkman (Golden Age)

Carter Hall

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

8 PD 4

8 ED 4

4 SPD 10

8 REC 0

40 END 0

34 STUN 0

Cost Perks

15 Filthy Rich

Total Perks Cost: 15 Points

Cost Powers

53 Archaic Weapons Gadget Pool: 40 points + Control Cost (20), No Skill Roll Required (+1); OAF (-1), Can Only Be Changed In His Armoury (-½), Limited Class of powers available (Only Archaic Weapons) (-½)

19 Wings: Flight 15", 1/2 END Cost (+1/4); OAF (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 72 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics

3 Breakfall

3 Concealment

3 Conversation

3 Deduction

3 High Society

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

2 Air Navigation

5 Offensive Strike

3 Paramedics

3 Persuasion

3 Shadowing

Total Skills Cost: 45 Points

Cost Talents

12 Other skills and stuff

Background: Wealthy scientist and antique weapons collector Carter Hall discovered that he was the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian prince, invented the "ninth metal", which allows him to fly, and adopted the identity of Hawkman.

Note: Based on secondary descriptions of early stories, not on primary sources!

A rougher draft than my earlier ones. In particularly, I may have flubbed his VPP, because it's been a long time since I used one.

Wonder Woman would be a pain. She didn't start with her lasso, but did have her invisible plane, and skills out her ears. I might skip her (first) origin story, and build her after she reaches the US. She can fill in the gaps "later".

She initially gained her lasso during an adventure, but almost immediately afterwards her second origin story showed her having it from the beginning. That was, of course, to simplify things.

I'll have to consider a Cassandra style flight power to represent her Invisible Plane. It certainly seems plausible.

Wonder Woman tomorrow. I'm still messing with my draft.

I've also started thinking about the Spectre. Possibly doable, although probably on 350 points. The main thing he would need are "destroy a battle fleet"/"wipe out an army" powers which are expensive. Otherwise, he just needs to be able to chainsaw gangsters, read minds, be invisible, desolidify, fly, travel between planes of existence...

None of that is beyond normal point ranges. If I was willing to ignore the more spectacular stuff, he could be on the same points as everyone else. He only occasionally trashed battleships, after all.

Lois Lane

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

18 DEX 24

15 CON 10

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

4 PD 2

4 ED 1

4 SPD 12

5 REC 0

30 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 66 Points

Cost Skills

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bureaucratics 12-

12 Combat Luck +6 rPD +6 rED

2 Contact: Superman 11-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Disguise 12-

2 Eidetic Memory, Audio & Visual Only (-1/2), OAF: Camera Phone (-1)

1 FB: Press Pass

3 Lockpicking 13-

4 Martial Disarm

4 Martial Dodge

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

3 Persuasion 12-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 12-

Total Skills Cost: 67 Points

Cost Powers

6 ES: HRRP, OAF: Camera Phone (-1)

11 Running +5", 4x NCM, No END (+1/2), Only on Appropriate Terrain (-1/2), OAF: Car (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 17 Points

75+ Disadvantages

5 DF: Reporter (Easily Concealable/Noticed)

15 Hunted: Lex Luthor (More Powerful/NCI/Mild) 8-

10 Hunted: Superman (More Powerful/NCI/Watch) 8-

10 PsyL: Overconfidence (Common/Moderate)

15 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Common/Strong)

5 Rep: Superman's Girlfriend 8-

10 Rivalry: Clark Kent (Professional/More Powerful/Aware)

5 SocL: Famous (Occasionally/Minor)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 150 Points

This is a Slightly Less Powerful DNPC for Superman.

Valkyrie

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

18 DEX 24

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

20 PD 10

15 ED 10

4 SPD 12

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 144 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

8 CSL: Combat +1

3 Tactics 13-

Total Skills Cost: 17 Points

Cost Powers

15 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED

25 EB 8d6, 1/2 END (+1/4), OAF: Spear (-1)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Defenders Communicator (-1)

20 Flight 10", 8x NCM, OIF: Winged Horse (-1/2)

7 Multipower (15 Points) OAF: Sword (-1)

1 u) HA +2d6, HTH Attack (-1/2), No END (+1/2)

1 u) HKA 1d6 [2d6 w/STR]

3 LS: Longevity[800 Years]

10 Multipower (10 Points)

1 u) Leaping +10"

1 u) Running +5"

Total Powers Cost: 89 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 DF: Tall Beautiful Blonde (Easily Concealable/Noticed)

10 Hunted: Enemies of The Defenders (As Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Honorable (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Very Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [barbara Norriss] (Frequently/Major)

30 Vuln: Ambushes/Treacherous Attacks, 2x STUN (Very Common)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Cyclops

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

6 PD 3

4 ED 0

4 SPD 12

7 REC 0

40 END 0

30 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 81 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Combat Piloting 13-

3 Conversation 13-

4 Martial Arts DC +1

4 Martial Dodge

4 Matial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

3 Oratory 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Tactics 13-

3 Teamwork 13-

Total Skills Cost: 44 Points

Cost Powers

10 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Costume (-1/2)

40 EB 6d6, No END Persistent (+1), Always On (-1/2)

13 No Always On for EB, OIF: Visor (-1/2)

15 EB +4d6, No END (+1/2), Linked to EB (-1/2), OIF: Visor (-1/2)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: X-Men Communicator (-1/2)

20 Force Field +10 rPD +10 rED, No END (+1/2), OIF: Visor (-1/2)

7 Mind Link with Marvel Girl, Psychic Bond, Only with Others with Mind Link (-1)

15 Running +5", 8x NCM, No END (+1/2), Only on Appropriate Terrain (-1/2), OIF: Motorcycle (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 125 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 DF: Always Wears Red Glasses/Visor (Easily Concealable/Noticed)

5 DF: Mutant (Concealable/Major Reaction/Technology)

15 Hunted: Enemies of the X-Men (As Powerful/NCI) 8-

20 NCM

15 PhyL: Blind when Supressing Always On EB (Infrequently/Fully)

10 PsyL: In Love with Jean Grey (Uncommon/Strong)

15 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [scott Summers] (Frequently/Major)

Here's Wonder Woman, at last. I'm a bit burnt out, so I probably won't post any more characters for a while.

I should muck about with the vehicle rules though.

---

Wonder Woman (Golden Age)

Val Char Cost

40 STR 30

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

10 PD 2

10 ED 6

4 SPD 10

12 REC 0

40 END 0

40 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 136 Points

Cost Skills

4 CSL: +2 with Missile Deflection

Total Skills Cost: 4 Points

Cost Talents

Cost Powers

40 Amazon Training: Multipower (40 Points)

4 u) Running +20"

1 u) Flight 4", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4); OIF: Invisible Plane (-1/2)

3 u) Flight 10", x32 NCM; OIF: Invisible Plane (-1/2)

1 u) Swimming +10"

1 u) Leaping +10"

15 Bullets and Bracers!: Missile Deflection (all physical missiles) (15 Active Points).

Total Powers Cost: 65 Points

39 Extra points for skills and stuff

Background: "At last, in a world torn by the hatreds and wars of men, appears a woman to whom the problems and feats of men are mere child's play - a woman whose identity is known to none, but whose sensational feats are outstanding in a fast-moving world! With a hundred times the agility and strength of our best male athletes and strongest wrestlers, she appears as though from nowhere to avenge an injustice or right a wrong! As lovely as Aphrodite - as wise as Athena - with the speed of Mercury and the strength of Hercules - she is known only as WONDER WOMAN, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!"

Notes: Bits of this character were adapted from Cassandra's more modern version.

I initially tried to be too clever, and got myself tangled up in details. Thankfully, I remembered that I was posting it in a thread called "Back to Basics".

The most obvious problem is the absence of her lasso. I left it out mainly because it was a pain and a major point sink. However, I can justify its absence!

Historically, she didn't obtain it until Sensation Comics #6, about six months after her introduction. However, when her origin was retold in Wonder Woman #1, published only very slightly later, she was shown as having had it from the beginning, obviously for the sake of simplicity and not at all because of any fetishism on the part of her creator.

I left her with a fair number of unspent points, which can be allocated towards her lasso if you want. It will be a very lame version though - she really needs some more points to build a decent version of it. Incidentally, it started off as a general mind control, not just a "tell the truth" thing.

Obviously extra powers should be shoved into the Multipower as required.

There's nothing to justify buying her Missile Deflection through a focus. Maybe an OIHID, to prevent her from using it when she's being Diana Prince, but that's about it.

Because I hate you all:

The Red Bee

(Rick Raleigh)

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

8 PD 4

8 ED 4

4 SPD 10

8 REC 0

40 END 0

34 STUN 0

Cost Perks

5 Follower: Michael (Trained Bee)

Total Perks Cost: 5 Points

Cost Powers

1 Leaping +1”

6 Running +3"

2 Swimming +2”

18 Bees!: RKA 1 point, NND (defense is a PD Force Field, being englobed in a PD Force Wall, or hermetically sealed resistant PD; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (22 Active Points); Limited Range (10”; -¼).

30 "Stinger": 8d6 Energy Blast, 0 END (+1/2); OAF (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 57 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics

3 Breakfall

3 Climbing

16 Combat Skill Levels: +2 with All Combat

3 Concealment

3 Conversation

3 Deduction

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

3 Paramedics

3 Persuasion

3 Shadowing

3 Stealth

3 Streetwise

Total Skills Cost: 65 Points

Cost Talents

17 More skills and other stuff

Total Cost: 200 Points

Background: "Wishing to do more to combat the criminals of Superior City, Oregon, than he could as an assistant district attorney, Rick Raleigh created the costumed identity of the Red Bee. He was a superb athlete but had no super powers except for the ability to train/control bees. One of his bees was named Michael and was stored in a special pouch in his belt. Red Bee also carried a stinger gun."

Notes: He probably should have some way to communicate with Michael, but I don't really care any more.

Wasp

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

18 DEX 24

18 CON 16

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

4 PD 2

4 ED 0

4 SPD 12

6 REC 0

36 END 0

24 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 68 Points

Cost Skills

6 Combat Luck +3 rPD +3 rED

3 Conversation 12-

3 High Society 12-

15 Money: Filthy Rich

3 Tactics 12-

Total Skills Cost: 30 Points

Cost Powers

16 Armor +8 rPD +8 rED, OIF: Costume (-1/2)

50 EB 8d6, 1/2 END (+1/4)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Avengers Communicator (-1)

26 Flight 10", 8x NCM, No END (+1/2), Linked to Shrinking (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

48 Shrinking Height .125m Mass .025kg PER -8 DCV +8 KNB +12, No END (+1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

7 Transform: Instant Change [One Set of Clothes]

Total Powers Cost: 152 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: The Avengers Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

20 NCM

20 PsyL: Code of the Hero (Very Common/Strong)

30 Vuln: Ambushes/Treacherous Attacks, 2x STUN (Very Common)

Vision

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

15 DEX 15

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

8 PD 4

6 ED 2

4 SPD 15

8 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 81 Points

Cost Skills

3 Computer Programming 12-

Total Skills Cost: 3 Points

Cost Powers

30 Armor +10 rPD +10 rED

50 Multipower (50 Points)

5 u) Density Mass 25t KNB -8 PD +8 ED +8, 1/2 END (+1/4)

5 u) Desolid [Electrical], 1/2 END (+1/4)

5 u) EB 8d6, 1/2 END (+1/4)

3 u) EB 4d6, NND [Desolid] (+1), No END (+1/2), No Range (-1/2)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Avengers Communicator (-1)

30 Flight 10", 8x NCM, No END (+1/2), Linked to Desolid (-1/2)

25 LS: Does Not Eat, Does Not Sleep, High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self Contained

Total Powers Cost: 166 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: The Avengers Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

20 NCM

20 PsyL: In Love with Scarlet Witch (Very Common/Strong)

30 Vuln: Electrical Attacks, 2x STUN (Very Common)

Black Condor

Richard Grey Jr.

Crack Comics #26

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

12 COM 1

8 PD 4

8 ED 4

4 SPD 10

8 REC 0

40 END 0

34 STUN 0

Cost Perks

6 Wealthy

4 Contact: Doctor Foster (11-, very useful skills (Doctor), good relationship)

6 Fringe Benefit: Government Rank (US Senator)

Total Perks Cost: 16 Points

Cost Powers

30 "Black light ray gun": 8d6 Energy Blast, 0 END (+1/2); OAF (-1)

40 Condor Flight: Flight 20”, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-½)

Total Powers Cost: 70 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics

3 Breakfall

3 Concealment

3 Conversation

3 Deduction

3 High Society

2 KS: New York Poli-tics 11-

2 KS: Washington DC Politics 11-

2 KS: The Politi-cal World 11-

2 KS: US National Politics 11-

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Strike

2 Navigation (Air)

5 Offensive Strike

3 Oratory

3 Paramedics

3 Persuasion

2 PS: Congressman 11-

3 Shadowing

3 Stealth

Total Skills Cost: 58 Points

Cost Talents

Total Cost: 250

Background: Richard Grey Jr's parents, Major Richard Grey and his unnamed wife, were traveling through Outer Mongolia on an archaeological expedition when they were set upon by Gali Kan and his bandit crew. By the time the raiders were finished, only the baby, "Little Dick" as Mom had called him, was left alive. The child was rescued by one of the giant black condors native to the region, who raised him alongside her own chicks. At first, the man-child was hard pressed to keep up with his foster siblings, who found no difficulty in learning how to fly; but by "studying the movement of wings, the body motions, air currents, balance and levitation", he eventually got the hang of it.

When he grew up, he fell in with an old religious hermit named Father Pierre, who taught him human language and convinced him that he should use his unique attributes to do good. Soon afterwards, Gali Kan killed the old hermit. Inspired by the monk's teachings, Richard adopted the costumed persona of Black Condor, killed Gali Kan, and then took off for New York. Shortly afterwards, he acquired a "black light ray gun", capable of pounding a villain with enough energy to stun or obliterate him.

He failed to save the life of Senator Thomas Wright, a young senator who had fallen foul of Senator Jaspar Crow, who hired gangsters to get rid of Wright because of his refusal to vote for the pork-ridden dam appropriation bill. With his dying breath, Wright asked Black Condor to take him to Doctor Foster, the father of his fiance, Wendy Foster.

Black Condor quickly realized that he and Wright was physically identical. He took advantage of this resemblance to cast the vote in Thomas' space. At Doctor Foster's urging, he reluctantly assumed the identity of Thomas Wright full-time.

I've left off the Disads from most of my characters. Here is the generic set I use for most of my Golden Age characters:

150+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: Archnemesis (Occasionally, As Pow, Capture/Kill)

15 Hunted: Category of regular opponents (Frequently, As Pow, Capture/Kill)

20 DNPC: Some Girl/Guy (romantic interest) (Occasionally, Normal, Unaware of Identity)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Of The Hero (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Motivation (Common, Total)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Whoever, Profession) (Frequently, Major)

It covers a lot of characters fairly well, and is a good starting point for many others.

The Hunted structure is intended to combine both a specific archnemesis (the Joker, Luthor, Paula Von Gunther, Dr Sivana, the Red Skull...) with a more general set of opponents (gangsters, Nazis, mad scientists...) who tend to appear in most of the character's adventures.

Romantic interests are, of course, the most common category of DNPC. Not universal, but very common. Even Batman started with one. For that matter, so did the Spectre and he was dead!

The Hero's Code is a basic check on a character's behaviour. It covers all the usual stuff - fair play, patriotism, honour, no needless killing...

The Motivation disad is a more specific thing, more intense than any of the above. Batman: Justice. Captain America: Patriotism. And so on. This could be tricky to choose in a few cases. It could always be swapped out for a CvK if necessary.

Secret ID: obvious enough.

These can all be dropped or swapped as appropriate.

I threatened elsewhere to build a starting version of Supergirl. While she would work better under 6e, I might give her a try on 5e first.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do her just now, but I can list what I see as her "ingredients".

Everygirl skills only.

Base characteristics, or less, except as follows:

+30 STR (40 total) (30 points)

+2 SPD (4 total) (20 points)

+3 INT (3 points)

14 COM (2 points) (Ignore in 6e)

+12 Lightning Reflexes (on assumption humans max out at 20 in practice) (18 points) (Much better value in 6e)

Life Support: all safe environments (9 points) (others to be added later) (cheesy!)

N-Ray Vision & a bunch of other enhanced senses (~40 points)

Armour +30 PD, +30 ED (90 points)

Multipower! (100 points)

About 315 points.

Apply Not Under A Red Sun (-1/4) to most of this. She actually spends more time in Kandor in her early stories than in space, but it's all good, and it happens often enough to make the Limitation worthwhile.

Kryptonite can either be a limitation or a Physical Disad.

Shave points as required.

A key concept: she should have some Overall skill levels in her Multipower. "Super-skill" even gets mentioned in her origin story, and it allows her to reduce the time for mundane tasks and do other Super-speed type things. It's a GM's permission thing, but hardly unbalancing.

That's because men were men back then. Superheroes today are all sissies who need gadgets and godlike powers. Wimps.

You know, if I had godlike powers, I'd probably punch more people, too.

Me: >Thwack!<

Thug: "Is that the best you can do, nancy boy? Now it's my turn!"

Me: "Ohmygod, ohmygod! Godlike powers!"