Time Travel in Champions

FenrisUlf

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, how many of you playing in the official Hero Universe setting ever intend to use some of the other genres as settings for time travel adventures?

Myself, I expect/hope to see something soon covering the Turakian Age, as one of the characters in my campaign gets his powers from an artifact from that time -- it was built to oppose Krim and Takofanes/Kal-Turak, and since the character is /very/ curious about its real origins I expect we'll be taking a little trip one of these days...

I use a campaign of my own design with the "Official" Champs universe being an adjacent parallel world.

I imagine you already know this but all the Hero products fit into the official timeline, so the Terran Empire, as an example of a published product, is an official hitorical era.

One of the DOJ 5th ed. products scheduled is Champions 3000 which will take the official world forward in history.

Okay those are alreafy going in the wrong direction. As far as I know the only Turakian documents are Takofanes from CK&C and the Hero Universe PDF available free under Free Stuff. It has a bit of background but that's all.

Sorry, I know that isn't a lot of help.

Re: Time Travel in Champions

Originally posted by FenrisUlf

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, how many of you playing in the official Hero Universe setting ever intend to use some of the other genres as settings for time travel adventures?

Myself, I expect/hope to see something soon covering the Turakian Age, as one of the characters in my campaign gets his powers from an artifact from that time -- it was built to oppose Krim and Takofanes/Kal-Turak, and since the character is /very/ curious about its real origins I expect we'll be taking a little trip one of these days...

I've always wanted to do a time-spanning campaign. I've done this in one-shots, but never a full campaign.

My current campaign is all about time paradoxes. In fact, at the next game, they must correct one or I will (legitimately) destroy the universe. After all, this is the last game of the current run of the campaign. And three characters are from different times than the campaign is in, but I don't plan any time-junkets at this point.

My games aren't set in the official CU, so won't really apply directly. However, I love time travel stuff for comics - good fodder for stories.

In my most recent campaign, the first adventure was the big time-travel villain (Moebius, local Kang knock-off) coming to town and attacking the heroes in a "final encounter" - trying to destroy them before they formed their team and caused him headaches in the future. Of course, his attack is what caused them to band together as a team. Silly supervillain! :D I had lots of fun with odd combinations of tenses in his soliloquies - he knew all about them, referring to future events like they were in the past, while they had no idea who this guy was.

Inspired by recent JSA issues, sent heroes back to a neverwhen ancient Egypt, just so they could go into stasis in sarcophogai and awaken in modern times, and have neat souveneirs. Of course, being players, they didn't want to do it. :rolleyes: Ah well, best laid plans and all that. :P

I've had previous group travel back to stop Nuclear War from the Cuban Missile Crisis, and have lots of potential scenarios in mind also. Take any potential break point in history, and have great scenario.

Thanks for your help.

I was also thinking of, if/when the characters ever do go back in time, of what happens when they confront the Turakian Age Crowns of Krim. Remember, they'll be even stronger back then (as would Takofanes -- yow!).

A second, somewhat related question here is (though it's more 'background' than anything that might play in a game), what ever becomes of all the 'super tech' or magical devices when the magic fades away? According to 'official Hero Universe History', the world goes straight from a mostly cheery/upbeat superhero setting to a hell-on-Earth cyberpunk world; that sounds like a mighty big shift, which makes me wonder just where all the magic goes by 2020...

Guest Celebrin

I'm actually planning on having my Champions group time-trael to Camelot a few times during my game so Fantasy Hero will play a role for me (to a degree).

Darren

:)

Thanks for your help.

I was also thinking of, if/when the characters ever do go back in time, of what happens when they confront the Turakian Age Crowns of Krim. Remember, they'll be even stronger back then (as would Takofanes -- yow!).

A second, somewhat related question here is (though it's more 'background' than anything that might play in a game), what ever becomes of all the 'super tech' or magical devices when the magic fades away? According to 'official Hero Universe History', the world goes straight from a mostly cheery/upbeat superhero setting to a hell-on-Earth cyberpunk world; that sounds like a mighty big shift, which makes me wonder just where all the magic goes by 2020...

I've wodered about that myself. I kind of pictured a super heroic Ragnorok with all the worlds supers involved in a last "all the marbles" kind of thing. As there is to be a Champions 3000, it sounds like the magic goes back to sleep or is again inaccesible/undiscovered much the same way as it was before the Nazis reawoke it.

Thanks for your help.

If you actually want to run the Crowns as more powerful, you could just follow the suggestions for beefing them up included in their writeups in CKC. Takofanes/Kal-Turak would probably be best left as an off-scene presence, though, like Sauron in LotR. Alternatively, you could run him in his pre-undead state, with larger spell powers but fewer undead abilities; that just might make him vulnerable enough for the heroes to get in a lucky shot and take him down. They could even be the ones who killed him the first time!

From Steve Long's comments it sounds as though magic waxes and wanes periodically, so the "boost" it got pre-WW II may just have faded by 2020. Alternatively there might have been some major crisis or villainous plot that results in the banishment of magic until the 31st Century. The CU has a number of characters who could legitimately be involved in such a thing: Takofanes, Dr. Destroyer, the Death Dragon, Tyrannon, Dr. Yin Wu, Istvatha V'han, or Captain Chronos for example.

If your referring to the hero meta-setting where all of their various settings, regardless of genre, exist in the same continuity the answer is not on your life.

I don't like the idea, and think certain genres work better without screwball explanations of why superheroes ceased to exist, or why magic works in one setting or another... etc. Of course, there are people who like that sort of thing, but lets just say its not my cup of tea.

I run my own champions setting (its been extensively fleshed out over the past 13 years).

I will probably run something in the Valdorian Age or Tuala Morn when they come out, after some cosmetic tweaking, but don't intend to connect them to my other genre games.

I'm running a Vampire PBEM game with Hero - but its been so invasively tweaked that its not WOD anymore.

I don't run space games so its a no-go.