Mind Control- Literal Interpretation , HERO 6

Maccabe

Re: Mind Control- Literal Interpretation , HERO 6

The 'mechanics' of "Literal Interpretation" are not really mechanics, per se. It means what it says, the target of the mind control will follow your instructions - literally. It is difficult to adjudicate when used against a PC, because if you give some players any chance to twist things to their advantage, they will.

I would play it as "Mentak here stares deep in your eyes and says 'You will not arrest me!'" and tell the player they are 'inclined to listen.' Then watch and see if they come up with a creative way to twist the command... "You said I couldn't arrest him, so I beat him within an inch of his life. Then the cops arrested him."

My first question as a PC, when mind controlled, would be "What kind is it, so that I know how to roleplay it?"

Literal interpretation? Mindless obedience and inaction without specific commands? My full fledged support?

Of course, I trust my GM not to do this all the time.

I think I once saw an example for a Fantasy Mind Controll with Literal Interpretation:

"Protect me from Harm".

Literal Interpretation:

"I lock him in a dungeon, so no harm can come to him".

Anotehr example was:

"Shut up until you are ordered to speak"

Solution:

Use a text message to tell somebody to order you to speak.

Literal Mind Controll works best with unambgious orders like "Run north for one hour"* (remember to use time, not Range. Speedsters might be done to fast otherwise). Things like "Sit" or "Play Dead" are also good.

*On second thought, what happens if the target reaches the northpole before the time is up? And of course he might not run to death (that would require a EGO+30 result, after all). But depending on your order he will still exhaust himself and keep himself busy for some time.

My take is that with regular Mind Control the target actually has to do what the controller *wants* (assuming a high enough dice roll). With Literal Interpretation, they target only has to do what the controller *says*, which allows lawyer-like actions that fulfill the spoken command even if it isn't what the controller had in mind.

My take is that with regular Mind Control the target actually has to do what the controller *wants* (assuming a high enough dice roll). With Literal Interpretation' date=' they target only has to do what the controller *says*, which allows lawyer-like actions that fulfill the spoken command even if it isn't what the controller had in mind.[/quote']

More or less my take on it. Normally, you can't 'rules-lawyer' a Mind Control command; you obey the spirit of it. With Literal Interpretation, you only have to obey the letter of the order.

For example, Ratman has been Mind Controlled by Hypnos, when his super-secret-MightyPhone hotline to Commissioner Gorgon rings. Hypnos tells Ratman to 'Pick up the phone'.

Regular Control: Ratman answers the phone like a normal person.

Literal Control: Ratman walks up to the phone, grabs it, and raises it off the table; he literally 'picked up the phone'.

There's a bit of a fudge factor with regular mind control--if the command is poorly worded, it may require an extra +5 of effect in order to work. If it's very well-worded, however, it may require 5 points less effect to work. I always assume that Telepathic MC is 100% accurate in conveying exactly what the controller wants the target to do for them.